shape
carat
color
clarity

my friend wants a ruby...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK she does not know much about rubies and I promised to help her. Given my way-before - PS - and pre-embargo experience (I ended up buying H(a) Burmese, luckily, it does not crack and withstands all cleaning; there is miniscle amount of lead in fissures; could have been worse), I think I need some help. I want to purchase something nice for herK. Any ideas? We can wait; I showed her spinels but she wants a ruby.

Any ideas on better rubies? Not what I can buy for $ 10.00 on ebay?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crasru,
What are her requirements?
Totally untreated?
How fine in colouration is she looking for?
Does she have a realistic budget to match her expectations?

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Have you had the spinel conversation?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SHe just "wants a ruby".

I think color-wise she wants something that would be looking like my Burmese.
She does not know much about treatment, so I had to explain about glass filling. I think something like mine (H(a) with fissures not reaching the surface) should be fine. I'd be wary of buying anything more seriouly treated - you do not do it to your friends. :lol:

She does have the budget. I do not think she has the budget for a 3-carater but I am not sure she is chasing it. I think somethng between 1-2 cts should be realistic. Even a 1-ct which is properly cut may look fine, especially mounted in a halo. The main reason I decided to help her came after I looked at her sapphire ring. Bought at B@M... enough said. Inky.

I was looking at Winza rubies but apparently good rubies do not differ from Burmese in their price. After all, it is all about color.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Has she perused RW Wises' website?

cheers--Sharon

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Its not ruby-red but it is vibrant and really well priced http://www.gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=274

Dutton's Diamonds http://www.diamondexpert.com/diamonds/dbs.cgi?sf=catg.setup.cgi&submit_search=1&name=Ruby%20-%20Corundum

Diamonds by Lauren (though I've seen mixed reviews on their customer service http://rockdiamond.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-ruby-95ct-emerald-precision-cut-r3538-

Gemburionline/Odysseygem

Gene at Precisiongem also has ruby rough, as does Jeff White.

I'll keep at it and let you know if I find anything nice. I am just a sucker for a gorgeous ruby!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That DBL ruby is phenomenal - I wouldn't hesitate to get that one. David (who owns DBL) is a nice guy. I've dealt with him on a number of occasions and he will be most helpful. He sells mostly coloured diamonds and therefore has a different approach to diamonds than some of our white diamond friends - hence there can be heated argument threads on here. However, don't let that put you off. Give him a call!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sharon - I have perused RWise's website. Some of his rubies are H(a) quality and I saw one that I really liked for myself, it was unheated, but I did not have the nerve to even imagine the price, much less call him...

Indy Lady - very good tips, thank you! Actually, I think I can start with Dutton's diamonds because I am not sure she understands much about rubies. I shall give her a call to find out.

LD - I have to trust your eyes because the light is different at different shots but I shall look into it, thank you.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I believe Fly Girl's ruby is from Dutton's Diamonds as well so you might consider checking out her thread/asking her for questions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results