shape
carat
color
clarity

Jingle sphene, jingle sphene! Gemline and Bob Kast etc

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I bought this gorgeous sphene from Gemline, I am rarely disappointed with their stones, and the only thing that I bought that I wasn't too fond of were some apatite cabs, because I don't know what to do with them.

Specs: 5.3 ct, 10 x 9.5 x 7mm, Pakistan. Antique cushion shape.

I viewed the sphene indoor last night and I thought it was very pretty. Then this morning I took it outside for a photo shoot, and the dispersion and colour flashes blew me away. I wasn't able to capture it on camera with my limited photography skills, but I want to share this lovely stone with you all on PS.

I am very happy to have my very own Christmas sphene.

IMG_0256 (600x800).jpg

IMG_0258 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0257 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0262 (600x800).jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
more

IMG_0261 (600x800).jpg

IMG_0263 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0264 (800x600).jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
more

IMG_0262 (600x800).jpg

IMG_0265 (800x600).jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I also bought two stones from Bob Kast, it was a pleasure to buy from him, his new assistant is communicative and responsible. She even sent the stones via express mail because of insurance issues, the packaging was secure.

Rubellite 6mm, 0.85ct.
Sapphire: 4.2mm, 0.39ct. The sapphire is shown with a moonstone I purchased from Barry earlier, cut by Carey Robbins.

IMG_0235 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0236 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0243 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0244 (800x600).jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Finally, my Uli smoky quartz set by Daniel M, the polish of the stone is excellent but doesn't look it in my crappy photos. The setting is just perfect for the stone and done well. The pendant looks a lot better in real life.

Description from Osirisgems' listing:

very light Smoky Quartz

I got some very light saturated Smoky Quartzes from the "Jahrhundertkluft" from the Mount Planggenstock in Uri, Switzerland. Two very wellknown strahler found it 12 years ago and worked at this extremely remote cleft since that time. The cleft is now more 40m deep in the mountain and they have found some of the biggest crystals from the alps. These quartzes have often this very light saturation but there is definitely some smoky colour inside.
18.85 cts., 19.0 x 12.2 mm

IMG_0228 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0229 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0230 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0231 (800x600).jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Two more sphene photos that show more colour flashes

IMG_0254 (600x800).jpg

IMG_0248 (800x600).jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who needs a Christmas tree with all those lovely colors!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a busy bee you've been! I love Sphene but it's diabolical to photograph and capture the dispersion isn't it? Try taking photos at night under incandescent light and don't get too close otherwise it wipes it out completely.

Very many congratulations on your lovely pieces.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Enough dispersion shows in your sphene photos, LG, to make it obvious it's a show-stopper IRL. Great color too. But I'm knocked out by the rubellite -- color depth and especially cut, whew! Merry Christmas to yourself!

--- Laurie

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is gorgeous! What do you plan to do with it?

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
o I love those !
Everything is nice,
Definitely gives me a case of the "wants" :lol:

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
Pretty rubellite and quartz pendant, would love to see you wearing it!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OhI love the pendant, it is Uli's septagon! Great setting!

I do not know much about sphenes aside from the fact that they are very soft. Do you plant to set it? It looks beautiful...

And the rubellite from Bob Kast is a no-lose situation! Beautiful color, congratulations! The sapphire/moonstone combo looks nice.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, you've been on a roll, haven't you?! I love the sparks the sphene is throwing off, but all of your stones are beautiful. I love the way the smokey quartz pendant turned out, too.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone for your kind words and comments, I'm happy you all enjoyed looking at my new gems.

TL I agree sphenes are lovely and it's so interesting. I'm going to take it outside to view it again in a moment. Has your family ever suggested hanging all your rings on the Christmas tree? I think it'll be one of the brightest and most colourful Christmas tree around. :mrgreen:

LD thank you for the photo tips, I tried it last night and managed to take one photo with more colour flashes.

JF Merry Christmas to you too. :wavey:

Yennyfire and Crasru, sphenes are soft, they actually feel plastic like, instead of cool rock/pebble touch of other gems. The sensible thing would be to not set it and leave it in its gem box. Else a pendant will likely to damage it less...but I really want to wear it on my finger so I can stare at it. :-o

Agnesg I'm trying a new neck cream, will see if it works. :lol:

Shiney I feel that way too when I read everyone's threads, but I must practice restraint. :lol:

Aoife and Crasru, I think Daniel M's setting is a lovely and economical way to set Uli's septagon shape, I would love to get another one.

Season greetings everyone!

Sphene1.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful batch of stones, Lovinggems - they're all gorgeous! I have a particular fondness for sphene, and I know how difficult they are to photograph, but you've done a really nice job. My sphene is still sitting in the gem box too, but I guess I'm one of the brave ones who'd like to set it someday - I think you should go for it, lol. And, add me to the list of those who'd like to see some neckshots with Uli's smoky quartz!

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Very nice stones! I absolutely love the moonstone! I had my eye on it, I'm so glad you bought it! What are you going to do with it? Very nice sphene too and cool Daniel M pendant!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Cell, I've been digging up old sphene thread and your Precisiongem sphene is one of my favourites. I thought you set it in the diamond halo ring, it is :love: . I'm still waiting for the new neck cream to perform miracles. :lol:

BG thank you, I don't have a moonstone and really want one so I bought this one, I really like the shape. Sorry for hijacking your stone.
I plan to set it with the little sapphire on top as a pendant, maybe DanielM can set it for me. Also thank you for your kinds words on the lovely sphene and smoky quartz pendant.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of new multi-coloured stones just in time for Christmas! I feel your pain with sphene photography because it gives my camera fits as well. All your new stones are lovely! As for setting the sphene, I’m too chicken to have it set but I’m also content to enjoy it in its box at the moment.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Great stones! Your photos of the sphene really makes me want one.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1292252853|2795555 said:
Lots of new multi-coloured stones just in time for Christmas! I feel your pain with sphene photography because it gives my camera fits as well. All your new stones are lovely! As for setting the sphene, I’m too chicken to have it set but I’m also content to enjoy it in its box at the moment.

Hi Chrono! :wavey:

Don't worry about the sphene setting; remember DanielM set my hunk of (essentially) glass, the moldavite. I've looped it and it's perfect, no chips or anything. I'll bet Daniel can set your sphene! :appl:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful, LG! :love:

You are making me what a sphene! :cheeky: It looks like yours is really high quality!

Sphene is so awesome, I can't figure out how it throws off green and red when you can't see green and red in the stone :confused:

I love the osiris gem! So can you just hang it any direction, LG? I can't tell, but I know you were concerned about that. It is a gorgeous pendant!

NICE STUFF, LG! :appl:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Chrono :wavey:. I love looking at my gem case from afar and see the stones sparkles. I won't set my sphene yet, but an upgraded Lan.bo halo ring will look lovely, provided I can find a good setter...

Thank you Cind11, this is how I started too, all the gorgeous sphene photos posted on CS had me searching for a nice one for over a year. :lol:

Hi iLander :wavey: , thank you for your kind comments. The Daniel M pendant only hangs one way but I got used to the look now. Yeah I was supposed to google why sphenes flashes red and green, you just reminded me.

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
All your stones are beautiful, and I love how the Uli/Daniel M pendant turned out. :appl:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
virgoruby|1292419000|2797479 said:
All your stones are beautiful, and I love how the Uli/Daniel M pendant turned out. :appl:

Thanks VG! Here's another pendant pic.

IMG_0337 (800x600).jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
That pendant's just awesome, LG - lots of flash! Just curious - how long is the chain? I have a similar pendant with a smaller stone, and I wear it at about the 16" level.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
cellentani|1292592565|2799455 said:
That pendant's just awesome, LG - lots of flash! Just curious - how long is the chain? I have a similar pendant with a smaller stone, and I wear it at about the 16" level.

Hi Cell :wavey: , I opted for a 17 inch chain, I thought it might be too short because the pendant is large, but turned out it's the right length for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results