shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling quilters!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
I am about to fall down a rabbit hole, I think!

I want to do hand quilting of covers for my kindle, because I really enjoy hand sewing and it relaxes me. I'll be quilting blocks that are no larger than 9x6, so it will be a lot easier to work with than handsewing a giant project. They are blocks that have images on them, so I'll be quilting the image lines so it has more depth, like a relief carving. If that makes sense?

I know that I need specific gear and supplies, but I am getting a little overwhelmed with trying to google my way to a list of must-haves, so I am hoping there are some quilters out there on PS!

I know I need a hoop, hand quilting needles, batting, quilting thread, and one of those crazy looking thimbles that is like a rubber glove tip with metal on one side, but I don't know which brands/styles to get. :(sad I don't know what brand/size of hoop for a project that size, what size of needle, what thickness of batting would be best for such a delicate project, what type of thread I should get, or where the heck I find one of those hi-tech thimbles.

Halp?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've sent off for reinforcements--my mother is a die-hard quilter and probably has all the answers. I should have info for you by tomorrow evening.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Godspeed, Monarch's mom! (we need a salute emotie!)

(Thanks! :appl: )

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mom's response:

"Hi I am mom to one of your pals and am a long-time quilter. Addressing your questions:

Hoop Not at all necessary for such a small project, could even be a hassle.
Thimbles come in many styles. I HATE those big, obnoxious rubber/leather things. Go for a nice aluminum or metal in your size to fit the middle right hand finger(unless you are a leftie) Don't know where you are, but if you can get to a quilt shop, that is the best place to locate one that fits and is comfy to work in.
Needles....I like Piecemakers size 10 quilting needles for hand quilting. Whichever brand you find will be OK, as long as you are using this size. Needles also come in many variations.
Thread is important....and here again, numerous types and endless colors. To make your work stand out, use a contrasting shade.....to blend in, match closely. You can use a quilting thread, or step up to perle cotton, which you might use in the #8 weight or the #5. Using these threads would mean stepping up to a needles intended for embroidery. You can experiment with needles that you may have on hand.....there is not an exact science involved here. We all use trial and error in this craft.
If I missed any of your questions, please feel free to message me and I will reply asap. "

Hope this helps!!! ~Monnie

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
monarch64|1291791568|2790675 said:
Mom's response:

"Hi I am mom to one of your pals and am a long-time quilter. Addressing your questions:

Hoop Not at all necessary for such a small project, could even be a hassle.
Thimbles come in many styles. I HATE those big, obnoxious rubber/leather things. Go for a nice aluminum or metal in your size to fit the middle right hand finger(unless you are a leftie) Don't know where you are, but if you can get to a quilt shop, that is the best place to locate one that fits and is comfy to work in.
Needles....I like Piecemakers size 10 quilting needles for hand quilting. Whichever brand you find will be OK, as long as you are using this size. Needles also come in many variations.
Thread is important....and here again, numerous types and endless colors. To make your work stand out, use a contrasting shade.....to blend in, match closely. You can use a quilting thread, or step up to perle cotton, which you might use in the #8 weight or the #5. Using these threads would mean stepping up to a needles intended for embroidery. You can experiment with needles that you may have on hand.....there is not an exact science involved here. We all use trial and error in this craft.
If I missed any of your questions, please feel free to message me and I will reply asap. "

Hope this helps!!! ~Monnie

Wow, that was fast! Thank you for the information, that does help! Thimbles solved!

I have a few more questions, if you're willing :appl: - for the thread, I would like to have it be as invisible as possible, so I will match it. I take it that a finer thread would be better than the sort of thread you would use on a more robust project like a quilt?

Is there a brand of thread you would recommend for the 'invisible' type of quilting? Should I go to the perle cotton thread and the embroidery needles if I want a finer stitch?

For batting, what type of thickness would I want to get for something like a kindle cover? I thought the hoop would help with getting the depth consistent, would a small hoop be best?

Are there any other recommendations you have for must-have gear if I am not venturing into quilts, just small hand quilting projects?

Thank you so much for your help! :bigsmile:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mom says:

"Sorry.....I should have read your questions before ending the first message. Lighter batts will be best for this project. I use Warm N Natural, which is mostly cotton, but there are others out there that may please you more. A silk batting would be wonderful....here again, a quilt shop could be useful. Are you near to one?"

I will await your edited questions and send them to her. Glad to be of help! Also, I know that was quick, she's a night owl like me but I didn't expect such a fast response, haha!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perle cotton and embroidery needles wil be a heavier stitch. If you want fine quilting go for a silk thread (by YLI) or a fine
cotton, about a 60 wt. thread. With thread, the higher the number the finer the thread. You will be able to use the smallest
needles and get the finest stitch. If you want your cover to have a bit of stiffness to it, go for cotton batt, but if you want a
soft cover, go with a bamboo batt. I would think with a kindle cover though, a stiffer batt would be better.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most quilt shops won't sell a lot of batting on the bolt but Warm and Natural. You will only need a little tiny piece. Although
I love the other batts, like the silk and the bamboo, I mentioned, your best bet would be to find a quilt shop that has batt on
the bolt. I know large fabric stores like Joann's will have that.

For a project that small a hoop would just get in your way. Good luck, I hope you post a photo when you are done.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I'll be watching this thread. I want to make :

093448_095_b.jpg

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dragonfly411|1291820150|2790917 said:

093448_095_b.jpg

Do you want to make a quilt for a bed or THAT quilt for a bed?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For thread, I'd use silk-finish cotton thread by either Guttermann or Mettler.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle|1291839878|2791277 said:
dragonfly411|1291820150|2790917 said:

093448_095_b.jpg

Do you want to make a quilt for a bed or THAT quilt for a bed?

I want to make a quilt like that for a bed, using plaid flannels like that.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dragonfly, have you ever made a quilt before? Do you have a local quilt shop near you? Are you interested in getting some
help getting started or finding a pattern? What were you hoping to find/get from this thread?

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results