shape
carat
color
clarity

Starting a collection for my son...

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
So this past weekend I was talking to another mom who has a girl and she collects Lladro and ornaments for her.
I don't think my son would like those things, but I was thinking I'd like to start collecting something for him.
Any ideas?
Something I can buy one of each year to give to him when he gets married?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Bottles of port...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Generally speaking, are you talking about holiday collectibles or just items to give during the holidays every year?

Both my boys do get ornaments each year, but nothing fancy. Their first few years, they received "nicer" ones, but I've found cute ones at World Market/Cost Plus that fit their personalities better. They love them! Another they love are coins. I have a huge collection that belonged to my dad and I give them to the boys in the little plastic coin holders. The coins are all inexpensive ones that they can take out and play with. Like Bahamas, Mexico, South Africa, China...pretty much all over the world! Some are cool b/c they have holes in the center or are funky shapes.

IMO, for kids they should have collector items they can touch and interact with. My kids have only a few collector items that they cannot play with and one ended up breaking and I had to superglue it back together (lol).

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
It doesn't have to be on the holidays that he gets this, but it'd make a nice extra gift to open every year at Christmas. :)
I just wanted to start a collection of some kind for him, so he can pass down to his child.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about a train set where he gets a nice train each year. he could pass that on to his kids. I thought maybe nice pieces of silver for when he marries?

maybe something like this http://www.trainsetsonly.com/ and then you can add trees, trains etc each year

soocool

Ideal_Rock
What my nephews got each year:

Hess trucks
model cars
trains
baseball cards (collectibles)
coins
sport jerseys

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If it's intended to be a wedding gift, how about a bottle of champagne from each year of his life?

My father did something along these lines, so we had 28 bottles of it at my wedding. That was really nice.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Peepa|1291655706|2788928 said:
It doesn't have to be on the holidays that he gets this, but it'd make a nice extra gift to open every year at Christmas. :)
I just wanted to start a collection of some kind for him, so he can pass down to his child.

Maybe look for a gender neutral collection if you're thinking he can pass it down...just in case he has a daughter.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I agree that it needs to be something that he can touch and/or play with.

As a kid, there is nothing worse than *getting* a gift you don't actually *get* to do anything with.

What about:
- Rocks (You can buy rock collecting sets to get him started)
- Movie posters (laminated/framed), maybe one from his favorite movie each year? (This would be great for when he grows up. My DH has a man room, and has some of his favorites framed.)

Still thinking...

meresal

Ideal_Rock
DP

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Coins or rocks go over well.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL Pandora, my thoughts exactly. Or Scotch. After 21 of course!

My Mom is collecting little wooden cars and planes for J. They are not all the same brand, but she'll see one she likes and buy it for the collection. She is totally into 'collecting' things and has always had little figurines and the like around. I am not really into that stuff. She gave us a Lladro one year and it sits in the closet. I am more about 'using' things.

Anyhow that said, I do plan on getting an ornament every year for J and putting the year on it somewhere. My Mom did that when I was little and when I got older and could shop with her it was so fun to go and choose my ornament for the year. When I moved out and got my first tree, I had a whole collection of ornaments I could use from thru the years. While I don't know if my son will be into that, I figure why not... it's fun and easy and once a year and then gets packed away.

This year my Mom gave him a little cloth snowman with his name and the year stitched into it and I got him a little crochet lion. I put them on the bottom of the tree and those are the ones he loves to play with.

I am not sure how old your son is but maybe as he gets a little older you can see things he likes to play with and think about the collection that would make most sense for him then?

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
meresal|1291694067|2789562 said:

Thread Jack: bahahahah. I saw meresal's post and thought "DP???" Detachable Penis???? :errrr: Complete gutter brain moment!!! :lol:

meresal

Ideal_Rock
megumic|1291783080|2790570 said:
meresal|1291694067|2789562 said:

Thread Jack: bahahahah. I saw meresal's post and thought "DP???" Detachable Penis???? :errrr: Complete gutter brain moment!!! :lol:

Good lord woman... you need to go to bed. :errrr: Ha.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

meresal

Ideal_Rock
double post

My comp was being crazy yesterday and was posting my comments twice everywhere.

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
MC|1291672828|2789137 said:
Peepa|1291655706|2788928 said:

Maybe look for a gender neutral collection if you're thinking he can pass it down...just in case he has a daughter.

Good point!

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
What about nutcrackers? (Speaking of DP....hahahahahahha!) My mom gave my brother a new nutcracker each year and each one was in relation to his interests at that time: he has a golfer, a viking, a skier, football player, etc, etc. Now he has a whole collection to decorate his own home at xmas time.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Treasury bonds :twirl:

My aunt collected a number of kinds of stuff like that that fills curio cabinets, and as far as I can tell neither of my girl cousins have any interest in the stuff at all.

The only collectible I know people usually have attachment to is something that has memories attached. Silverware that is used for special occasions, ornaments/toys you associate with your childhood, etc.

So, what I would do is get something every year that is tactile that can be shared with your son, and can be added on (many good suggestions here), rather than buying something so expensive you feel they can't play with it.

For example every year I pick out 1 or 2 new ornaments. I also get something that Santa leaves in the tree, every year, that is a cross between a toy and decoration, like a hand made fairy doll that can be played with or hidden in the tree, or a victorian looking doll in winter dress. Nothing too expensive. They get to play with them during Christmas time, and then they are boxed up with the rest of the Christmas decorations after the holidays not to be opened till next year. This year they are getting the papo princess with sleigh and driver from "Santa".

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are also the Automoblox little cars...Amazon is having a sale on them today. There are like 30-40 you can collect, they are for the age of 5+ but you assemble them. They are European I think... anyway we got a set for G's father and they are really cool. I am thinking of starting to collect them for J and when he's older he can assemble them himself. They run from $9-30 each.

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
These are all such great ideas. I always know to come here when I'm in need of answers. :)
Went with the Automoblox mini vehicles - can't wait to receive them!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results