shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Nile''s "Contour Setting for Larger Diamonds."

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Anderson

Rough_Rock
Is anybody familiar with this setting?

"Real life" pictures would be very helpful, as it''s hard to get a good feel for the look of this setting from the website.

Or, if anyone has any suggestions for a solitaire setting with a bit of "heft" behind it, that would be helpful too.

Basically, I know my girl wants a ring that''s not dainty, but I doubt she wants it to be obnoxious either. If anyone has an ideas, I''d be appreciative.

reena

Ideal_Rock
lol, "contour setting for large diamonds" sounds like one of those euphamisms they use in layne bryant catalogues

what about one of those low tiffany-style ones where the band is almost as wide as the stone?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The setting is exactly what they say it is - one with more space around the "head" to allow for a larger stone in. "For larger diamonds" does not mean the band is wider.

I would think that a band 4mm wide or more would definitely make a ring with personality, and probably no label reading "big" anywhere. Look here for a chart of what these band widths look like.
read.gif

Those should not be all that hard to locate (probably off catalogs as well) but few online stores care to specify the width of ring bands. You may want to ask the seller for this detail.

Here are a few more models: at WF, one with "surprise" accents, a Rounded and one Concave wider band.

Would it work to present the stone in a temporary, disposable setting and let the girl decide ?
2.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 9/24/2004 7:12:16 PM valeria101 wrote:

The setting is exactly what they say it is - one with more space around the 'head' to allow for a larger stone in.
----------------
like an elastic waistband for plus-size diamonds

Anderson

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 9/24/2004 7:12:16 PM valeria101 wrote:

The setting is exactly what they say it is - one with more space around the 'head' to allow for a larger stone in. 'For larger diamonds' does not mean the band is wider.

----------------

Thanks for the reply and the links to the other settings. I noticed that Blue Nile also has a standard contour setting, but the band is 3.9 mm and has a max size of 1.6 ct for a square diamond....so there seems to be a little bit of extra band width in the large diamond band (5.4mm).

However, my main concern is actually your first point, I'm wondering if the extra space around the head will make a diamond in the 1.8 to 2 ct range seem undersized? I am currently searching for a Jubilee in that range and my concern is that the "Layne Bryant Contour" might have a bit too much elastic stretch if you know what I mean.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh... I see. Missed the specs at BN. Actually, over 5mm is qute a wide band. I wouldn't think it would make an already impressive diamond "shrink" though. The result will just be a more hefty ring.

read.gif
It should be way easier to have a setting made for the stone you will buy. Since the model will be simple, this should not cost that much more and will fit perfectly the stone. And you will get to see a model of the setting beforehand and adjust details just so.

I don't think that a ring off the rack can possibly fit so very well - the more metal the worse. And a basket-type setting will do the trick much better than a peg head too.

Does it have to be a high set stone ? Do you have a prefference for this? The setting at BN is a relatively high one...

Anderson

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 9/24/2004 8:06:50 PM valeria101 wrote:

Does it have to be a high set stone ? Do you have a prefference for this? The setting at BN is a relatively high one...

----------------

Thanks again for the reply. I like the idea of a custom setting, I'll keep that in mind.

No, it doesn't have to be a high set stone, that was just a setting that caught my eye. I liked it's simplicity and it seemed like it would have some "heft."

Another question...I know the Vatche x-prong is fairly popular around here, does anybody have any info on the band width for a x-prong that would hold 1.8-2 ct diamond? I checked the Vatche site, but didn't see anything. Thanks.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
My much smaller diamond (.60) is set in a yellow gold contour and I love it! If you're looking for an attractive solitaire setting, IMO you'll be very happy with the contour. It "embraces" the stone with the way the band flows up at the sides. I also like heftier rings, and I think this style will give you and she some substance without getting "fussy" or overbearing.

Edited to add: Hubby and I are currently shopping for an upgrade (so we can give above ring to daughter. Stone was inherited on his side, ring was made with gold from my great-gma's wedding band) and I am looking at settings that are between 6.5-7.0 mm width.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
This is my first successful picture post. I hope it shows the contour setting well enough for you to get an idea, even though this is a much smaller stone.

Guess not! Sorry for the hugeness, folks.
loopy.gif

hand picture of rings small.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results