shape
carat
color
clarity

nervous about recent purchase

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sierrachang

Rough_Rock
Hi,

A newbie here who is nervous about a recent purchase.

The jeweler told me that it was a deep cut diamond and did not "face up" as others of the same size. He said that the pavilion angles are under 35% or 30% and that the diameter is under 6mm, and it should be over. I thought he said that it had a thick girdle.

a knife-edge platinum 4-prong set
Ct: .898
EGL certified SI3
Color H
5.85 - 5.9 x 4.04 mm

Is it worth it for $1125? Could this have been a recut diamond?

The jeweler will "throw in" a .33 carat, channel-set diamond (9 diamonds), platinum band. It's not an eternity band.

Is this set a keeper or returner (10% restocking fee), or should I make the ring into a pair of earrings (buy another similar one)?

I wish I knew about this forum before I bought.
1.gif
Oh well! What a great place to learn more.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Why are you bothering to purchase a diamond like that? Why don't you just cancel the order and start all over. I'm no expert but the diamond sounds horrible. Also what jeweler throws in a free platinum channel diamond band? This doesn't sound right. I hope it works out for you. Best of luck.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Return it. Its worth the restocking fee. Start fresh with one of Pricescopes vendors.

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
Only way to answer your question - have an independent appraisal.

(edited to add)
Many people get diamonds re-cut to fix a problem and improve the cut.

I agree, pay the restocking penalty and start over.

JC

Shiny_Rock
I agree with each reply. I would give the same advice. Good luck....

1.gif

sierrachang

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for that information! I wanted a larger diamond and a good deal. So, I thought the price was excellent.

I don't really know anything about diamonds. I am getting an inkling from this board. (BTW, thank you everyone!)

The jeweler seemed honest (very nervous about buying) and had a cert, so I bought.

Oh well. Live and learn. Is it even worth it to keep as an earring?

Would it be worth it to recut it?

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
For the relative price, you are getting a large stone. However, you are sacrificing a lot in specs all the way around, especially in cut, to get the price. I would suggest that you go out and go to some non-mall, more high end jewelers to see the difference in "ideal" cut stones versus non-ideal. If you want that sparkle and life that an ideal cut stone has, then you have a problem. If you are happy with the look of a generic diamond in order to get the bigger size, then just stay with what you have. (No judgement here -- it's up to you to decide.)

If you want the sparkle of a well cut stone, it looks to me as if you should just start over with a pre-determined set of criteria rather than try to make a wrong choice right through recutting or redirecting to earrings. (I recently bought great earrings, if if you are not going to go for the ideal sparkle, buy Czs. They will be cheaper and look the same.)

Re-stocking fees are the pits, especially if the jeweler sold you a bill of goods. I'd push back there. Arm yourself with a bit of knowledge and facts from the tutorial here and other places. I don't know how long it's been, but if it hasn't been long, I'd go push back hard. Many places give a no questions ask return between 7 and 30 days. If you are in that time frame you could make such an arguement. If the jeweler doen't move, pay the restocking fee, and go elsewhere. He really hasn't done you any favors, if you are looking for a lively stone, and if you return it, he is going to charge you for that. Put it behind you and find someone who will truly help you.

Good luck, whatever you decide...

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that you should get it re-cut
eek.gif
People on PS have had their diamonds recut; if it turns out well, it's not a slight to the final quality of the stone. Your diamond doesn't sound worth the effort.
- no emotional attachment
cry.gif

- it will cost you
22.gif

- it will reduce the carat
rolleyes.gif

- what if it's damaged
14.gif

Be happy that you are learning your lesson for 10% or $110 Most people lose 50% ish when they offload their mistake
naughty.gif

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
I would honestly go with a return on this. The price scares me
errrr.gif
. Is it clarity enhanced? I do know that you can get an EGL cert with a clarity enhanced stone. Plus throwing in a band?
Have you seen it in person?

sierrachang

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

I will check out the ideal cuts for comparision because it seems like a nice enough stone (apologies for my ignorance). I'll hold onto it for now and get rid of it when I get something bigger. Maybe I'll use it for my bellybutton ring or something.

I actually picked it up in person. It was a friend's family member who had taken a ring on a trade up-- that's why they threw in the channel set (.33) platinum band. If my sister doesn't think the band is cursed, then she'll get it.

I just want the stone to reset in to my e-ring. I like my e-ring but the stone was small (.5).

It seemed like quite a deal after looking around but you get what you pay for I guess. Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results