shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Ring... good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moxibustion

Rough_Rock
Hi! I am a complete newbie when it comes to diamonds...

After encouragement from my boyfriend, I started looking at vintage rings that I might want online. I fell in love with this ring when I saw it. I am not very educated about diamonds, but I know that I want an antique engagement/wedding ring. I also know that there are distinct differences between modern diamonds and antique diamonds.

The seller of this ring has a good reputation, and I have emailed her several times. She also has a 48 hour, 100% (excluding S&H) refund/return policy, and I feel comfortable about doing business with her.

I am getting quite an education on this website, and thought I''d ask for your thoughts and opinions! I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!
21.gif

As posted:

This is a beautifully crafted Antique Two Tone Wedding Set from the 1940''s. The antique engagement ring features a .50 carat modern brilliant cut diamond which is G-H in color and SI in clarity. Four single cut diamonds add sparkle on either side of the center stone. The antique wedding ring has 6 single cut diamonds which measure .03 carats each. The smaller diamonds are E-F in color and VS in clarity. The total diamond carat weight is .80 carats. The engraved bars between the diamonds give this antique ring set a special look. Both antique rings have 14k white gold tops and the shanks are made of 14k yellow gold. Size 6.0

$1420.00

the ringantique.jpg

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
That is beautiful~!
love.gif

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
what a nice picture.

My 0.01c

48hrs isn't much time to get it appraised
eek.gif

Since the center stone is new, does it come with a cert? I'm guessing no cert since it's a G/H color. If there is a cert, you can price the diamond here for what it would sell for.

Have her be very specific in what she is promising or you may end up with a J I1 when you get it appraised.

Sine you can buy a G SI1 for 1000 here, it may not be a steal.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Too short an approval time. You will likely find the diamond is not G/H. If the stone has been in the ring from the beginning the seller is making a judgment which could be biased. If the seller had the diamond put into the ring and is using a split grade, then this is being done as wiggle room on the color, as diamonds graded unset can be simply graded, not split graded. A split grade indicates doubt, not accuracy.

Be CERTAIN to have the grading provided to you in written form and get them to allow you a reasonable amount of time to obtain an appraisal from a qualified independent expert appraiser. Otherwise, you will find many rings like the ones pictured. Don't be in a hurry.

moxibustion

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies! I appreciate it so very much....

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Moxi,

Have you tried looking at www.faycullen.com? They are a very reputable antique jewellery dealer with things in every price range.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Also try antiqueengagementrings.com

By the way my E-ring was an antique too. It's from the 1920s. We bought it from an antique jewelry dealer here in San Francisco.

Heiny10

Rough_Rock
David,

My girlfriend has a 3 stone diamond ring she'd like to sell. What is the best steps in order to do so. How would she get it appraised? Do you know anyone in CA that completes quality work?

Thanks,

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results