shape
carat
color
clarity

watch as an engagement present - help a newbie!

jules.k

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

My fiance and I are still looking at engagement rings, and we don't plan to purchase one until mid to late January. He's planning to surprise me with the ring at some point after that, and I would love to be able to surprise him right back with a engagement present. We've spent so much time looking for right ering for me that I'd love to put some time and thought into something for him as well.

Right now my favorite idea is to get a nice watch for him and maybe have a short message engraved under the head. The thing is I know absolutely nothing about buying nice quality watches for men. He has a fairly casual, typical guy style. I'm not looking for anything studded with diamonds or such. The specific metal isn't even that important, except that I want it to be durable enough to last, just like an ering would. I want something that looks really nice and sleek that he can keep for decades as keepsake of our engagement. And I believe he would prefer a silver or white metal color.

But I know NOTHING about watches! I can google them all day, but I have no idea what is good quality and what I should avoid. And I have no idea what an appropriate budget would be. I was hoping around $500 (since I'm not looking for platinum or anything), but is that way off?

Any input on how much I should be looking to spend on something like this, or any suggestions on where to start or good brands/vendors would be GREATLY appreciated!

jules.k

Rough_Rock
I guess I should mention that I have to stick within a certain budget. We've been able to bring our budget for the ering up to about $7500, but I'm not sure we'll end up spending that much. One of the reasons we're waiting so long to get it is to see how much we can comfortably afford.

I know designer watches can cost thousands, so one of the main reasons I'm asking for help is because I want to find something really nice looking and durable that won't break the bank. I could spend up to $1000 fairly easily, but I would probably move onto a different idea if I had to go over $1500. Not only would that be difficult for me, but if he knew it cost that much then I don't think he would appreciate the gift. Of course I wouldn't be waving the price tag in his face, but I know he wouldn't want me to divert too much money away from the costs of the ering, wedding, and life in general.

jules.k

Rough_Rock
Ok, I apologize for making a third post in my own thread before any replies, but I realized I gave just about no details on the style. Preferably a full metal watch rather than leather or such, analog face, and generally classic style. Water-resistant is fine. I want it to feel like a special piece of jewelery, but still ok for everyday wear.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
jules.k|1291496432|2787391 said:
... I want it to be durable enough to last, just like an engagement ring would. I want something that looks really nice and sleek that he can keep for decades as keepsake of our engagement.

Hi, I'm going to give you my honest answer but I don't think you'll like it. The only watch I can think of that would last for decades the way you describe that I can think of would be a stainless steel Rolex. I have one that's now 20 years old. I'll probably be wearing it 20 years from now. They last. They're virtually indestructible.

There are lot of choices at the $500- $1,000 price point, but not any that I can think of that would last for decades like an engagement ring.

I can help you decide among the basic Rolex models, but that probably wouldn't do any good because these days I think they start at about $3,000.

I wish I could come up with an answer for you at $500- $1,000, but I can't in terms of durability. I'm sorry. :((

jules.k

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I appreciate the honest answer. Like I said I have no experience with watches, so I'm glad to have a realistic perspective on what I could expect to get in my price range. Maybe you could help me find a watch in that range anyway, and I'll just keep my expectations in check. If I had the money, I'd buy a him a rolex in a second since I like the idea of him being able to keep it longterm, but that's just not in the cards right now.

To make it clear how little I know about watches, I just found out what Tag Heuer was a well known brand name yesterday. Beyond rolex, I really know nothing about any of this. Needless to say, neither of us really cares about the brand name. I just want something that looks nice and feels special, and in terms of durability, let's say I'd like the maximum life expectancy I can afford - even if that means a few years versus a few decades.

One that caught my eye was this - http://www.jomashop.com/movado-junior-sport-mens-watch-0605962.html. I know this isn't an authorized dealer, but I'm willing to risk that to get a better watch. I'm getting the impression that Movado watches might be marked up for the brand name though, so maybe it would be better to avoid them. I really like the sleek look though compared to some of the much busier looking styles out there.

Lastly one thing that might help is that yesterday evening, I slyly brought up watch styles with him (I asked his opinion on a few women's styles I was looking at, then got him to talk about his preferences for men's ;-). To my surprise, he actually prefers the look of a leather strap. His current watches are both metal, but I guess he didn't pick either of them out himself. Could that help bring the cost down quite a bit? And even if he needs to have the strap replaced down the line, how long could I expect the head of the watch to last?

Sorry it's so long, but thanks so much for the help!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I don't know anything about Movado and Tag so I can't comment.

I posted links to two watch websitse in this thread you might check out.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/franck-muller-help-calling-df-imdanny-or.153242/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/franck-muller-help-calling-df-imdanny-or.153242/[/URL]

If it were me, I like Casio (not what you're looking for!) and Seiko (and I think Seiko would be worth checking out).

I'm not sure that whether it has a metal band or leather strap would affect the price much.

Any watch will last a good long time if you treat it gently enough.

Others might be able to suggest watches in the $500- $1,000 range!

Good luck!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I won't repeat what IMDanny said--but the sentiment is similar...difficult to buy a watch that will last for decades that isn't costly in it construction....that said, I have had a Seiko for 25 years!

I wonder what "Tudor" might offer in your price range?

cheers--Sharon

jules.k

Rough_Rock
Hi Sharon-

Thanks for the opinion. I think I'll just give up on hoping to find a watch in my range that will last decades. I'm thinking of just finding something that would make a nice engagement gift for now. What is Tudor exactly? Is that a brand? I haven't come across it in any of my searches. Thanks!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jules.k|1291588515|2788217 said:
Hi Sharon-

Thanks for the opinion. I think I'll just give up on hoping to find a watch in my range that will last decades. I'm thinking of just finding something that would make a nice engagement gift for now. What is Tudor exactly? Is that a brand? I haven't come across it in any of my searches. Thanks!

HI:

Yes, brand.

http://www.tudorwatch.com/

cheers--Sharon

jules.k

Rough_Rock
Hmm that looks like a great option, but I read the brand was discontinued in the US in 2004. I couldn't find any main vendors still selling it online, mostly some used ones on ebay.

Here's another I found - http://www.jomashop.com/baume-and-mercier-watch-moa8868.html

Even more expensive than the Tag above, but it's so pretty. I think I'm getting carried away....

jules.k

Rough_Rock
Actually I did find some at orolus.com, but the prices still seem a bit high for me =/

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
A brand name watch is a wonderful engagement gift for a guy.
For a men watch, I'd choose a stainless steel bracelet, because of its durability and low maintenace.
I love Baume &Mercier watches because of their high quality steel, impeccable style and perfect details.
My favorite men watches are Classima and Hampton: they are a bit expensive but they are worth every dollar.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
jules.k|1291588229|2788215 said:
Ok great. Thanks for the input. I'll definitely check those links out.

That's good, because watches are like diamonds, if you buy without a basic set of knowledge, you very much can and might get ripped off. It's really not much different than buying diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results