shape
carat
color
clarity

idealscope

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SOCKS

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Is idealscope useful? Are there any retailers that sell idealscope in NY?

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
And YES, it is EXTREMELY useful!!!
1.gif

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
Why does 'beginner' model have white top eyepiece which i guess allows in light and the 'pro' model have a dark one?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The black or white top has no impact on result. The metal one with glass optics is an expensive loupe and the basic model is all plastic. Both work just fine. As a pro I prefer the weight and feel of the expert model, but the less costly unit works well although it is only a 6x loupe rather than 10x.

I prefer to call the less costly one the "basic" model because you do not have to be a beginner to find the I-S very useful. It has allowed me to observe and report on diamond light performance that I intuitively understood, but could not describe in any elegant way. The I-S is the tool I use to make some very fine distinctions and is is very inexpensive.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Socks,

If you want to see and compare how diamonds you're considering perform with your own eyes I would highly recommend the purchase. An Idealscope will likely be a very small percentage of the final cost of any diamond you buy, especially one which is well-cut.

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Socks

Its not only consumers that use the Ideal Scope,
We search through literally thousands of uncertified diamonds when buying stock. The Ideal scope has reduced selection time by up to 70%.
It’s a simple process. Everything that passes the Idealscope is Sarin tested then subjected to closer inspection.

Johan

ringer

Rough_Rock
Is ideal scope for use with H&A diamonds only or is it useful on all diamonds?

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
The IdealScope measures light leakage -it is useful to determine how good the light return is on any diamond of any cut. Even cubic zirconia for that matter!
2.gif

It has some similarities to the "fantasy scopes" used to view hearts and arrows patterns, but that is not actually what it is designed to do. You can use it to see arrows pretty well, but getting the hearts is a bit more challenging.

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
Ok, guys. I can tell you about the Ideal Scope.

Tomorrow!

I ordered the Ideal Scope.
I ordered the light tray for consistent lighting and it has two indents for comparing two stones instead of holding a stone with a tweezer
I got the H & A viewer, because it was only $12.
AGA also included a laminated chart showing good, medium, and poor cuts as well as a perfectly cut CZ stone.

So i'm all set!

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 9/23/2004 9:37:26 PM Garry H (Cut Nut) wrote:

Q I find it is very difficult to use a H&A's scope for anything other than symmetry grading.----------------

I agree. I was just pointing out that the IS kinda works like an H&A viewer, though it's easier to view the arrows than the hearts.
1.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
I recently purchased an ideal scope from Dave Atlas. Prior to that I purchased four loose diamonds relying on the idealscope images from vendors. The last stone I bought did not come with ideal scope images, but had ideal numbers. When I got it, it just wasn't right. I kept telling myself the numbers were perfect and it was in my head, but the idealscope confirmed what my eyes were telling me. Garry helped me with the specs and at the end of the day I suspect the sarin was off and it showed charatcteristics of a cheated girdle.

I won't buy another diamond without it. It also let me confirm that the four loose stones had excellent IS images and let me see the flaws in the old stones I purchased years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results