shape
carat
color
clarity

Oh Dear, Help.....

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
So you're looking for a really nice blue spinel; no major hurry because you'd like one of a good size, not too small, doesn't need to be gigantic. You sort of set a budget topping at around $950, though in a pinch you might go to $1100. As we can expect, it's not easy to find one that holds its color w/out extinction and is more than, say, 6 mm & well cut. And suddenly you run across one that fits the bill -- lovely color, cut & offered by someone very skilled w/an excellent rep. It's just under 8 mm square cushion, 74% depth, sparkly. Darned hard to beat all that. But the price is $1300 & change.

Do you gulp & buy it??? Or, since you don't have a deadline & could easily look another year if you could stand the impatience, do you pass with confidence it's not the last one in the world?

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it’s from a reputable vendor, as you say, he/she should have a generous return window, correct? Why not purchase the stone, take a look at it to be sure it holds its colour well, doesn’t go extinct in any particular lighting and etc before making the final decision? This way, if you don’t like it, you can always return it. If you like it, then it depends on how much you like it to increase your budget a couple hundred more.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How many carats is that spinel?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forget price for a minute - when you look at it do you WANT IT? I mean, REALLY WANT IT? Does it scream buy me and make your heart pound and you know you have to have it?

If so, buy it and use the returns window.

If not, pass and wait until THE stone comes along!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
If this is the one I think it is, grab it. It's a $200 difference, which is not peanuts, but since I've been on the same search, I suspect that there just isn't much nice material out there, and my feeling is the price is going to keep going up. As long as you can return it if it isn't what you're looking for.

And if it is, you can post lots and lots of photos here. :cheeky:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It's about 3 carats. It has a little silk magnified but not eye visible. Very nice cut. Seems like a reasonable price for what it is -- good blue spinels ain't cheap; I have to either take a big breath & jump in or not. It would be easier at another time of year, but what the heck. I can take a look at it & make a decision once I have it in hand.

It's almost the one that makes my heart pitty-pat, LD. Closest since the blue spinel I saw for $10K that made my whole spirit sing. Okay, I'll take a look at it -- which probably means I'm a goner! Thanks a million, you honeys.

--- Laurie

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, goodie! I love the looks of the cut, so I can't wait to hear what you think of it IRL. :appl:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Yes it is, Canuk-gal, and yes I did. Just wrote Roger & asked him to send it. We'll see how it looks in various lights -- he said he could not catch the brilliance & sparkle in photos. (How on earth I'm gonna get this past DH is beyond me, but I'm selling some silver Tiff things on eBay & have some no-longer-worn gold things to take to a jeweler to sell next week. That ought to take some of the sting out of it.)

Anyway, when it gets here I'll post pics!! Merry Christmas to me! :saint:

--- Laurie

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1291406265|2786536 said:
Yes it is, Canuk-gal, and yes I did. Just wrote Roger & asked him to send it. We'll see how it looks in various lights -- he said he could not catch the brilliance & sparkle in photos. (How on earth I'm gonna get this past DH is beyond me, but I'm selling some silver Tiff things on eBay & have some no-longer-worn gold things to take to a jeweler to sell next week. That ought to take some of the sting out of it.)

Anyway, when it gets here I'll post pics!! Merry Christmas to me! :saint:

--- Laurie

HI:

Yes, I'd love to see your pictures!

Just sell your avatar--that ought to help! :wink2:

cheers--Sharon

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laurie:

In the grand scheme of things, if its beautiful, and it sure looks it, you won't even think about the price. Also, I too have been on the hunt for a blue spinel, so a) you are taking the burden off of me; and b) I can learn from you...

[Full Disclosure: I am a fully credentialed Enabler].

-Minou

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I knew it was that one. Of course you buy it! Congratulations :appl:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1291409242|2786605 said:
[Full Disclosure: I am a fully credentialed Enabler].

-Minou

Minou, I'll have to have you get together with DH. He has in the past spent, oh, uncountable bucks on his 3 vintage cars -- two of which he bought while I was out of town on business -- but it somehow isn't the same when the wife does it. THEN, it's CRAZY. Anybody else have one of those at home? He'll settle down; he just has to make a big scene to show he's a GUY. And, of course, gems leave him cold so he doesn't get my thrills & can't relate them to his cars because....well, a car is an automobile! Aargh.

The blue bomber should arrive Tues afternoon. Can't wait! Roger has already had 2 other inquiries on it, glad I moved fast.

--- Laurie

P.S. Sharon -- if I HAD my avatar, I'd wear it always, even in the bathtub pinned to my naked bosom. It's a Graff brooch, from Sotheby's auction catalog a few years ago. Lucky buyer!!!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone! Congratulations, JF! Can't wait to see your photographs!

You being in love with the Graf brooch so much that you could pin it to your naked bosom resembles me Andersen's Little Mermaid. Remember how she felt pain at each step but was still making the steps out of her love for the prince?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Ha! If I had that brooch, nothing could be painful, Crasru. Poor Mr. Freak, if I'd take those tiny painful steps for magnif gems, my prince is a jewel!

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results