shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds in Las Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RoughRider

Rough_Rock
Hi folks,
I''ll be in Vegas next month and was wondering if anyone could recommend a "reasonable" place to look at diamonds? We''re renting a car so it doesn''t have to be right on the strip. Actually, I guess anyplace on the strip would have a very high markup!
2.gif

I searched the forum but mostly came up with JCK show links. Sounds like that show is a lot of fun! I only get to go to the sewage conventions ...
sick.gif

coarchitect

Rough_Rock
Hyde Park is a nice local colorado jeweler that has a las vegas branch, but that doesnt mean that they aren't overpriced. obviously you can do cheaper over the internet, but as a place to start looking it would be fun. i think they are on the strip.

leeatthelake

Rough_Rock
I'm going to The Jewelers of Las Vegas on 2400 Western, I dont know if I'll be getting any deals, but I'm tired of looking around everywhere to save a few hundred bucks.

I'm looking at it from 2 sides, rarity (higher) or beauty (lower) for pricing.

Rarity:
I'm not going any higher than a G VS1, anything higher, then you're paying for rarity. Ideal cuts make up only 3% of Diamonds in the world (I Think)

Beauty:
Who is really gonna look at the stone once its mounted, all I care about is the glimmer from across the room, and if my woman is happy with it.

You can research all you want, the price is the price is the price, ask to see their rapaport sheet... go to diamondhelpers.com

Basically, if your price range is under $4K (appraisal Value) the mark-up will generally be more then if your willing to bump up your budget. (This means they've paid 1800 for the stone)
Generally the physco barrier for 1.0 carat is already built into the price, so you might as well look at 1.1 as the increase in price isnt as steep. Compare .95 1.0 1.1, I suppose.

A 1.0 or better princess cut should be about 25% lower than a round, less than a carat 33%.
A Marquis cut over or under 1ct should be about 10% higher than a round

Jewelers:

Its alright for them to make money, just make it off someone else.
Trap them like Texas hold'em, if they're willing to to 65% off a $5,000 appraised ring, they should be willing to take at least that much off a 12K appraised ring? Not if they're mark up is less, maybe %55.

Sorry for the long response, its for me, as writing is how I digest this stuff.

If you think I'm full of crap, do a search: diamond markup

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
The Jewelers of Las Vegas on 2400 Western:
I was just in that place last week. Lots of "Famous" people have had jewelery items made by Mordechai Yerushalmi. I found the visit very interesting. Well worth the time to stop in and look around (especially if you like Fancy colored diamonds).
naughty.gif

Joker....

reena

Ideal_Rock
the post you guys are replying to is a year old
2.gif

(i figured i would do it in mara's absence
1.gif
)

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/23/2004 1:35:42 PM leeatthelake wrote:

Beauty:
Who is really gonna look at the stone once its mounted,
----------------

Your lady is.

She will look at this stone up close, in all kinds of lighting, more times than you can keep track of in a day, forever. And, if it is a beautiful stone, it will make her happy each time she does. I'm sure the meaning behind the stone will make her happy, but the fun of admiring a well cut, beautiful diamond, never goes away. It's like being a kid with a prism
2.gif
.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results