shape
carat
color
clarity

Ultrasonic cleaners - safety?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bookworm

Rough_Rock
Hi,

My question is about the small home ultrasonic jewelry cleaners. I''m not suggesting using this in place of regular checks/cleaning with a jeweler, but I''ve noticed even a few days worth of oil and dust accumulation has a very adverse affect on the brilliance of my diamond. I like to keep my "precious" very clean and sparkly. :)

Are these safe to use on a regular basis? Do they have any negative affect on the platinum, diamond or prongs?

Thanks.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't put emeralds, tanzanite, pearls, or opals in an ultrasonic cleaner though.

kevinng

Shiny_Rock
The small home machines are pretty safe. I bought one for my girlfriend. The ultrasound is pretty weak, and functions much like a soft brush. It's pretty cool. Just put a bit of liquid soap on the diamond, put it in the cleaner, press the button and wait...

The wonderful thing is, you can let the ultrasound brush the diamond for as long as u like.

Just put your finger in the machine when it is working... and you will realise that it's probably all right, even for emerald.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I've wondered about this too. I understand that the cleaners are safe for the diamond itself, but what about an intricate setting with (say) bead-set melee? I have hesitated to get an ultrasonic because I don't want to lose the little diamonds from my setting. Can anyone comment on this? Are they safe to use on an elaborate setting monthly? Weekly? Daily? Not at all?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/21/2004 11:54:29 AM kevinng wrote:

Just put your finger in the machine when it is working... and you will realise that it's probably all right, even for emerald.
----------------

I'd disagree...it's probably not alright for emeralds.

I put my peridot in a home ultrasonic (not knowing that peridot wasn't supposed to go there), and it cracked.

Stick to diamonds and metals for the ultrasonic.

(P.S. ...honestly, I had one of those ultrasonics. I found it to be more trouble than it was worth. The solution is supposed to be emptied after each use, and pouring out fresh solution all the time was too much of a bother for me.

My recommendation: I have a jar of jewelry cleaner on the bathroom sink. Every morning, I drop my rings into it before getting into the shower. After I finish getting ready with hair products, I remove them and use an old toothbrush the lightly scrub them. Rinse.

It takes 30 seconds, and my rings are clean and sparkly all the time.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To clean my e-ring I just use a soft toothbrush and dishwashing liquid (why waste money on jewelry cleaners which are just liquid soap anyway).

I do use the ultrasonic to clean my eternity ring or my tennis bracelets because they have lots of nooks and crannies. Been doing this since 1980 and haven't had any trouble.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Some pave', bead set diamonds, could come out over the long run with a lot of ultrasonic cleaning. Used in moderation, well set diamonds, will not loosen or fall out. Old, estate items, that already have many years of wear may shake their diamonds out more readily. Poorly set modern items may also suffer from ultrasonic use sooner than properly set diamonds. It would be difficult to predict or to generalize.

Solitaire rings, with no side diamonds, but only set with a center stone, or a few larger, prong set diamonds, will have no problem with any ultrasonic meant to clean jewelry. I have seen people clean jewelry in commercial ultrasonics meant for other purposes virtually destroy delicate items.

Warm water, an old toothbrush, and a little Mr. Clean or Top Job will do a very nice job on the vast majority of dirt that sticks to diamonds and most other gem materials.

nicstn

Shiny_Rock
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF IT IS SAFE TO LEAVE YOUR RING SOAKING IN THE SOLUTION OVER NIGHT NOT RUNNING ONLY JUST SOAKING? ALSO MY ULTRASONIC BRANSON B200 STATES THAT YOU DO NOT NEED TO CHANGE THE SOLUTION EVERYTIME IT SHOULD LAST FOR MULIPLE CLEANINGS.

When should solutions be changed?
Cleaning solutions should be replenished when a noticeable decrease in cleaning action occurs, or when the solution is visibly dirty or spent. A fresh batch of solution at each cleaning session is usually not required.

SO I WOULD NOT CHANGE IT EVERYTIME UNLESS IT'S VERY DIRTY OR YOU ARE USING IT ON A FEW PIECES OF JEWERLY. I USE IT ONLY FOR MY E RING AND ONE SOLUTION LASTS A WHILE. I LOVE THE ULTRASONIC IT CLEANS LIKE NO OTHER JUST DON'T OVER DO IT IF YOU HAVE A DELICATE SETTING. ALSO IF YOU ARE GOING TO BUY ONE MAKE SURE IT IS A GOOD ONE SOME OF THEM ARE PIECES OF CRAP AND YOU ARE BETTER OFF USING A TOOTHBRUSH. BE PREPARED TO SPEND $100 EASY ONE A GOOD ONE.

I RECOMMEND THE BRANSON B200 HERE IS THE LINK WHERE I BOUGHT MINE.

https://hermesgr.securesites.com/cleanosonic/secureshop.cgi?cart_id=1857304.57454*Qy2Rq4&product=Branson_B200_Ultrasonic_Jewelry_Cleaner

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/21/2004 12:25:04 PM cflutist wrote:

(why waste money on jewelry cleaners which are just liquid soap anyway).----------------

The jewelry cleaner I referred to is the Connoisseur stuff in the red jar, and it's a bit more than liquid soap - it also has ammonia in it, which is what most folks universally agree on to cut the greasy film diamonds attract. (Hence Dave's suggestion for Top Job or Mr. Clean, both of which have suds AND ammonia.)

As far as being a waste of money goes, I'm guessing folks who can afford really fine jewelry can likely handle the *whopping* $2.99 for the jar of jewelry cleaner.
2.gif

nicstn

Shiny_Rock
aljdewey, I WAS REFERRING TO YOUR STATEMENT STATED HERE.

(P.S. ...honestly, I had one of those ultrasonics. I found it to be more trouble than it was worth. The solution is supposed to be emptied after each use, and pouring out fresh solution all the time was too much of a bother for me.

That is not correct for all ultrasonics the solution can be reused. plus a good ultrasonic does a beauitful job at cleaning especially for difficult to clean settings and hard to reach places.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/21/2004 1:21:45 PM aljdewey wrote:

----------------
On 9/21/2004 12:25:04 PM cflutist wrote:

(why waste money on jewelry cleaners which are just liquid soap anyway).----------------

The jewelry cleaner I referred to is the Connoisseur stuff in the red jar, and it's a bit more than liquid soap - it also has ammonia in it, which is what most folks universally agree on to cut the greasy film diamonds attract. (Hence Dave's suggestion for Top Job or Mr. Clean, both of which have suds AND ammonia.)

As far as being a waste of money goes, I'm guessing folks who can afford really fine jewelry can likely handle the *whopping* $2.99 for the jar of jewelry cleaner.
2.gif
----------------

I am familiar with the Connoisseur stuff. They make one with ammonia and one without. I personally don't care for the smell of ammonia. I have jars and jars of cleaner that I have acquired from my vendors through the years but I find that dishwashing liquid dispensed from a soap dispenser (mounted on my kitchen sink) onto a soft toothbrush is a lot easier to deal with and it too cuts the greasy film that diamonds attract. If it cuts the grease on your dishes and pots/pans, it will cut the grease on your diamonds too. Did you know they used grease belts in diamond mining operations because of their affinity to grease? But if people feel better buying jewelry cleaner then by all means do it.

nicstn

Shiny_Rock
cflutist, you have to try Palmolive Oxy Plus Dishwashing Liquid it kicks a--i use it between my ultrasonic cleanings. i don't know if it is the oxy but it makes my ring shine like crazy.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/21/2004 2:04:44 PM nicstn wrote:

cflutist, you have to try Palmolive Oxy Plus Dishwashing Liquid it kicks a--i use it between my ultrasonic cleanings. i don't know if it is the oxy but it makes my ring shine like crazy.----------------

Nicstn, hey I buy whatever's on sale. People here may not believe us, but when I am finished cleaning my ring, I check it through the loupe and it is absolutely clean. As clean as the diamonds were that I had to grade for the GIA Diamond Grading class back in 1988.

nicstn

Shiny_Rock
well keep it mind if it goes on sale it works really well but w/ my setting i need the ultrasonic because i can't get to certain areas of my side stone setting as well as the utrasonic or as fast i'm just lazy. i like just dropping it in. it is the only easy and way to get to the side stones and cleans them so unbeliveable clean.

jesrush

Rough_Rock
I actually just purchased a Branson B200 myself last week!

I dropped a solitare in (20 years old) and it really did a number on it... looked BEAUTIFUL after 3 minutes! Interestingly, you could see little "waves" of dirt & grime particles floating off the ring--kind of wafting like smoke--during the first 25 seconds or so.

Then I gathered every ring in the house, including two estate pieces with tiny channel set diamonds, both approximately 70 years old. I dropped these five rings in, hit the on button and waited... About a minute into the process I noticed the "whirring" of the branson took on a higher pitch. When the process was complete, I pulled the rings out and one of the tiny diamonds had indeed popped out. The high pitched sound was the sound of it bouncing around on the bottom of the tin holding area.

The Verdict: The Branson B200 really works and really cleans. The results were much more striking on larger diamonds than small ones. A .25ct stone looked basically the same afterwards as it did before, whereas a .55ct stone looked completely different. And I would be hesitant about channel & bead set rings...

-J

nicstn

Shiny_Rock
jesrush
branson b200 RULES! it is cool watching the grim float off! i agree it does the best job especially on larger stones my e ring comes out beautiful.it works well especially on my side stone setting because is not easy to clean by hand. only the ultrasonic get those side stone to shine again like new. did you try heatng up the solution before putting the rings in. if not next time take out the solution put in microwave 40sec to a min put back in ultrasonic then turn on the machine w/ ring in it it works even better. i now always heat up the solution before cleaning my rings. it takes a little more time but worth the effort your ring will come out dazzling.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/21/2004 2:16:29 PM nicstn wrote:

well keep it mind if it goes on sale it works really well and i believe you it works just as good as the utrasonic. but my setting i need the ultrasonic because i can't get to certain areas of my side stone setting as well as the utrasonic or as fast i'm just lazy. i like just dropping it in. it is the only easy and way to get to the side stones .----------------

I am not saying to not use an ultrasonic. I am saying that for a quick everyday cleaning, liquid dishwashing soap works fine. Shampoo (the clear kind without the conditioner included) also works when you are traveling (cruise ships, hotels etc). I do use the ultrasonic to clean my eternity ring and my tennis bracelets because as you said, there are too many nooks and crannies to deal with.

nicstn

Shiny_Rock
the best quick safe everyday cleaning is the dishsoap way. But i really think the ultrasonic vs the dishsoap for my E ring the ultrasonic is better at least the Branson i have. i try not to use the ultrasonic alot maybe twice a month tops just because my setting is detailed and i don't want to take a chance of the stones coming loose. but i contacted Branson and asked them. they told me to send a pic of my ring to insure that it would be ok on my setting. they took a look at my pic and said to go ahead and use it as much as i want. that it is completely safe. but i still use some caution.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/21/2004 3:32:12 PM Feydakin wrote:

Shop rules here for ultrasonic are simple..

Red, White and Blue are safe.. Rubies, Diamonds, and Sapphires.. That's it.. Nothing else goes in the ultrasonic.. Everything else gets a soak and a brush.. We are talking about a large shop ultrasonic, but I, personally, wouldn't put anything else in any of them..

Steve

----------------

Feydakin, I like your way of remembering. Instead of what NOT to put in an ultrasonic, just diamonds and corundum and thats it.

nicstn

Shiny_Rock
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF IT IS SAFE TO LEAVE YOUR RING SOAKING IN THE SOLUTION OVER NIGHT NOT RUNNING ONLY JUST SOAKING? CAN THAT HARM YOUR E RING?

lauratabs

Rough_Rock
Aljdewey----

You are too fuuny
9.gif
I like the way you think, and I agree 100% Anyone who can't afford $2.99 for Cleaner shouldn't have nice jewelry!!!

saint.gif

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
Is this Pricescope? Has Rocky the Raccoon somehow hijacked the site?

Isn't Pricescope where people recommend buying H and I color diamonds in order to get the best value instead of, say, buying D color? You certainly could pay more for the D color, but if the H and I work just as well, why not go for that?

Just my two cents - if the cheapo dishwashing soap works fine, then it leaves more $ (tho pitifuly few in this case) for buying diamonds! Okay, in my case, a Cafe Mocha...

11.gif

msbennie

Shiny_Rock
My favorite is dishwashing liquid. Everynight before bedtime, I drop my diamond E-ring in a solution of dishwashing liquid and water and let it soak until morning. The next morning, I rinse it with warm water and it looks fabulous!!! Just my .02 cents

bookworm

Rough_Rock
You guys are awesome. Thanks for the many replies. Your input in valued greatly.

I'm also relieved to know I'm not the only one cleaning my ring on a daily basis! I was beginning to think it was an unhealthy obsession but now I know I'm not alone. :)

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I refill my jar of jewelry cleaner with 1/2 sudsy ammonia and water. I've been told by jewelers that that is what the Connoisseur stuff really is, and trust me 2 inches of ammonia doesn't cost $2.99! (and, the last jar I bought was $5.99 -- must have been a different brand.) If you don't like the smell of ammonia, it sounds as if dishwashing liquid is a great alternative. I scrub and rinse with warm water, and occasionally dry with the hairdryer to eliminate water spots. How esoteric is that?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a GemOro ultrasonic with heat. The bad side is it takes about 20 minutes to heat up the solution. But that's the best way to clean tennis braclets and gold chains. The lazy way, I use 1/3 of windex and 2/3 of water, couple drops of dish washing liquid and a soft toothbrush then rinse with warm water.

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
Can you use an ultrasonic toothbrush to do the job? Thought I could get a sonicare for my GF. Is amonia residue bad for teeth

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
To Yoda, who asked:
--------------------------------------------------
Can you use an ultrasonic toothbrush to do the job? Thought I could get a sonicare for my GF. Is amonia residue bad for teeth
--------------------------------------------------

Teeth injured by ammonia residue are.
Caustic ammonia is to sensitive gums, and potentially toxic.

Best to get a separate head it is.

LOL.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/23/2004 9:18:35 AM crankydave wrote:

I bought a GemOro ultrasonic with heat.

I have, and use, a couple of different GemOro cleaners. The 2 quart and 6 quart models. These are powerful cleaners with strong rectifiers and transducers and a heating element strong enough to boil the cleaning solution. If you are using the 1 pint model with the heater be very careful. This is a small yet strong 25 watt unit.

Dave

----------------

dave
i have the 2qt model with heat(too big for home use),i don't think the pint model come with heat.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/23/2004 9:03:11 AM Feydakin wrote:

How hot does that ultra sonic get?? Heat is just as bad, if not worse, on many gems as ultra sonics are.. Off the top of my head I seem to rememebr that things like opal start to have real issues at 150 degrees, which is colder than most people's coffee, especially McDonalds
1.gif

I'll see if I can post one of my charts here to help out..
----------------

Feydakin
i only use it on diamonds.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results