shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions on an outside appraisal for insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Runnerhams

Rough_Rock
My e-ring has been ordered and when I called my insurance company about getting the ring insured, they said the premiums are based off of what the appraisal states and NOT what my H2B actually paid for the ring. They mentioned to me that the jeweler we ordered my ring from always "over-inflates" what my ring will actually be worth (usually around 50% higher), and it may be better to go to a separate jeweler for an appraisal and try to get it appraised at more the market value. (Reason being....We will just be paying higher premiums and if something should ever happen to the center stone, the adjustor calls certain jewelers they use and asks what it would cost to replace my RB 2.04 G, SI1, and that is the amount I can recover for getting the ring replaced.....NOT the over-inflated appraisal my jeweler tends to do.)

Anyway, my question is....when getting the ring appraised, do they take out the center diamond and all the side stones too? (I am having a one carot/tw of quadrillion, bezel-set side diamonds too). The thought of having my ring taken apart for an appraisal doesn''t sound appealing to me, but if this is what has to be done, then I guess I have no choice?

Thanks for any feedback! /idealbb/images/smilies/wacko.gif'');" height=15 alt="Insert smilie
wacko.gif
" src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/wacko.gif" width="15 border=0">

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In most cases the appraisal can be done with the ring in the mounting. In all cases, the appraiser will discuss the matter with you before proceeding and they will not recommend dissassembly unless there is a truly pressing reason for it.

There are quite a few reasons for using an independent appraiser and you list one of the biggies. Do a search on the forum for 'appraisals' for more thoughts on this matter.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

lindsal

Shiny_Rock
Only piping in to say Runner, that Dane in your avatar is sooooo adorable. I love great danes.

Runnerhams

Rough_Rock
My dog is actually a Boxer, but he loves Great Danes! It is so funny to watch him play with one!

He thinks he is such a 'big' boy until the Dane towers over him! He won't bark, but he "Woo-Woo's" at them! /idealbb/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif');" height=15 alt="Insert smilie
rolleyes.gif
" src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif" width="15 border=0">

lindsal

Shiny_Rock
Sorry about that... looked like a bigger guy in the photo. Boxers are a special breed, we had one when we I was younger that I think truly thought he was a person. Some days I have a hard time deciding which I would choose if the finace came right out and said, today you can choose a new diamond, or a new dog... luckily for me, that day won't be coming any time soon.
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results