shape
carat
color
clarity

Photos of color grades?

nr00

Rough_Rock
I am really curious about colors of diamonds other than colored illustrations. I know some grades may be hard to distinguish next to another but I would love to see real photographs of diamond color grades! I would like to see in a photo the difference between them... Thank you for your help!

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
I found this a while ago that I like to refer to. Hope it helps. :)

DiamondColorDtoF.jpg

DiamondColorGtoJ.jpg

DiamondColorKtoM.jpg

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I don't think photographs can give you the most accurate visual. You have to compare actual diamonds. For eg, the "F" in the first picture looks almost as yellow as the J in the second photograph.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
agreed. The best way to determine how color sensitive you are, and how the color will look to you is for you to see them in person, under different lighting conditions.

Also- size is a factor- typically the smaller the diamond, the less color that shows.
The worse the cut, the more color that shows
fancy cuts show more color...

many factors contribue to how a diamonds color will look.

nr00

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the resources!
My fiance purchased an I color.. I see the yellow in the pictures. I was not there for the purchase, I still wonder how it will look in person since I do not know. It's a 1ct, as Amy mentioned factors in how well it can show. I wonder if it is small enough that it will not show yellow much? I just have a picture in my head based off the resources, I'm so curious how this ring will look when finished. Been waiting a few weeks at this point, excited and very curious!
Seeing pictures is totally different than the illustrations, wow. I feel illustrations I've seen have made them look much more yellow than they are based off these.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
These pictures are taken in the most critical environment possible - from the side, next to each other, on a white background. Natural conditions are not at all like this. Once mounted, the color is unlikely to show...and if you do see color, it's not exactly "yellow" but more of a creamy white compared to an icy white. I have an I color princess, and occasionally I catch a hint of warmth from the side, but in general it's nicely white. I color is a great bargain for those people like me who aren't particularly color-sensitive.

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
I have an I color stone too. I love it and it doesn't appear yellow at all.

nr00

Rough_Rock
I'm curious about something else-- the jeweler it was purchased from says/claims they only carry really good diamonds. I've heard this about Tiffany's (not where he got it) and wonder if it's the same idea, like I wonder just how good the "lowest" on the "good scale" that a diamond from this jeweler could be?
I'm sooo curious of how it will look! I feel bad nit picking before even seeing it but I'm interested.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, I guess it depends on the vendor. You really would need more info on the specs of the diamond to know how good the cut is.

The HCA can tell you about the cut...plug in the numbers from the certificate...

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/holloway-cut-advisor

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca/

Word of advice though- one poster here went on and on about how much she loved her diamond Ering. The sparkle, the color, everything was amazing. She was elated....then a few weeks later posted again that she either saw the certificate or got it appriased (can't remember which) and then she started nitpicking the stone- color wasn't high enough- now she could see color she didnt before, same with clarity- and cut. I think sometimes we focus too much on numbers, stats, and grades instead of enjoyin and loving it the way we did BEFORE we knew everylittle detail and became pricescope educated.

I am SURE it's absolutely stunning, so enjoy it when the time comes!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results