shape
carat
color
clarity

I've been looking for an old cut diamond

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm trolling ebay mostly, but is it just a bad time of year or what? Prices seem way too high on what I'm seeing. And I'm not seeing very much. I'm lurking and stalking every single day too. I find something possibly worth enquiring for more details, then I look up the seller on toolhaus and am completely turned off sometimes. I've watched several auctions "live" and have been amazed at what people will snipe to at the last second. Are prices on old stones going up, or is it just the time of year. I was hoping to find something around .75-.95 for under $2000. So far no luck. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a lack of "inventory" and ridiculous asking prices.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Lyra, I'll keep an eye out for you. I've noticed pieces of that size going up recently. But I'm sure we can find you something for under $2k. What are you criteria?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well if it's on ebay I've seen it. I swear I have. ;)) I don't know my criteria, although I didn't want to dip down too far in colour. My ER is a K so I thought I might try going up. I tend to like high clarity too, although I'm not opposed to small nicks on a girdle (or one nick) as long as the cut is nice. I prefer transitionals, but those are impossible. Not impossible at any price, but seriously, $6-8K for one carat or a bit less is ridiculous!

Redrose, if you're reading this, you actually linked to one ring I was looking at in RT the other day! LOL! I had already decided against it because the seller did something less than reputable when I offered less money. He offered a private sale outside of ebay where I'd have no protection at all. Then everyone said it was a bad stone, which surprised me and left me wondering if I even know what the heck I'm doing.

I wish I could like the ring I'm considering right now, but am afraid to do that in case someone else jumps on it. I just don't feel like it's the one though, and the seller is only offering one picture. Thanks for any advice in general though, especially if you know of ebayers to avoid.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I wish there were some way to contact you outside of PS. I may know of something you'd like.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Uppy and Reader. For this year, I ended up going with a modern .76ct G VS1 in an etoile inspired setting. I've loved the etoile setting forever, and when this one came up on Ebay I went for it. It has 3 scattered 3 pointers on either side of the semi-bezeled center stone. I bought it for the setting. Maybe next year I can go the OEC route, but I might wait until I can afford a larger stone, like 2.0 cts. :))

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Did you post your new setting? I would love to see it!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I haven't Reader. It's my Christmas gift, so I don't get it until then! I am getting it appraised before I agree to keep it also. I will post pics after Christmas if all goes well. ;))

reader

Brilliant_Rock
I just saw one go up on the B, which has a great price and the seller has a good rep.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results