shape
carat
color
clarity

Not happy with my diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ebast1

Rough_Rock
My fiance and I bought this ring in May from King's Jewelers and was told it is Si 1/2 in clarity. The center stone is a round 5/8 and I have two smaller diamonds on either side. I swear there were not this many inclusions in my ring when we bought it. There are at least 5 "carbon" spots with the naked eye and one feather that I can cleary see in the loupe. I went back in to the manager who sold this ring to us and he basically said there is nothing we can really do about it. We bought the Total LifeTime Contract that gives us the option of exchanging this ring - I am just wondering if I am kidding myself, and if these Si 1/2 diamonds are really supposed to have this many inclusions visible to the naked eye. This ring is in a platinum setting and we paid $2250. It is truly a brilliant ring - it's just that now that I know these inclusions are there, that's all I can see when I look at it! Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

Erica

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Return it and try again somewhere else.

reena

Ideal_Rock
that's what i would say, too, but as i understand it she can't--she can only exchange it.
sad.gif

ebast1

Rough_Rock
We only had 30 days to return it - we have 6 months to exchange it, so I have to use King's Jewelers again.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Why did you wait so long?

ebast1

Rough_Rock
I went to Israel for about 2 months and I left my ring in the states. I live in Cleveland where there are no King's Jewlers. My fiance lives in Pittsburgh. I can only get out to Pittsburgh every few weekends. And frankly - I didn't notice these inclusions until after I came back from Israel. It's very unlikey that they changed the stone when I sent it in to be resized - right? That would be a very hard thing to prove. It is not certified, but I had them write up a certificate of insurance - and any appraisal costs a few hundred dollars right? I've been going around to different jewelers asking them the same questions to see if I was crazy - but they really have been of no help! I just want to know if I am crazy about being angry that I can see all these inclusions with the naked eye in an Si 1-2 diamond G in color. But I guess if I am not happy I am not happy and it doesn't matter if I am crazy or not - I should be happy with the ring on my finger!

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
You have no choice but to exchange it. If you keep it, it will drive you nuts. You can't sell it in good conscience, exchange it.

Otherwise your $ is simply gone.

If you don't like their diamonds, get something else, but get something, or else you will go nuts

ebast1

Rough_Rock
Yes, that is probably what I will end up diong - I also want to know if there is any way to solidly argue that this diamond is not an Si 1 or 2 with these inclusions visible to the naked eye without spending a few hundred dollars getting it appraised - just to exchange it for something else. I've read and read about Si quality diamonds and all of the descriptions just don't match what I see when I look at my finger
sad.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Question #1. Does it have a cert? And who is the cert by?

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
Hi ebast

If you saw the stones and the certificate when you bought the ring, it doesn't sound like the jeweler pulled a fast one. This assumes the cert matches the stone.

It sounds like you are getting your diamond education after buying instead of before
read.gif

If it's a brilliant ring which you liked when you bought it, can you grow to love it again? Some people don't mind being able to easily identify their inclusions and thus know it's their stone.

Otherwise, take advantage of their exchange policy to get the stone you really want. Spend some time reading the tutorials, etc so you get a keeper this time.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

There's nothing wrong with exchanging your ring if you don't like it OR if the inclusions are bothering you. Don't feel obligated to keep it. I returned my first diamond ring after reading about up on diamonds and ended up with a MUCH better diamond the second time around and have never regretted this exchange.

Your best bet with a mall jeweler is first, buying an ideal scope so you can see how well the diamond is cut and how much light is leaking out from the diamond (while looking at the stone under the jeweler's lighting which tends to make a diamond look more brilliant than it may be) and second, buying a LOOSE diamond. Preset diamond rings tend to have lower quality diamonds in them. My first ring was preset and the second one that I still have now was purchased as a loose stone and better cut and quality.

See tools on the menu bar at the top of the pricescope logo part to find out about the ideal scope.

Good luck,
Michelle

ebast1

Rough_Rock
Yes, that is definately unfortunately true - getting my education after the fact. There was no certification card with the ring. Just the price tag with the description on it, and no we did not pay sticker price for it. That much at least I did know! Thanks everyone for replying so quickly to my confusion and questions! I will have to call and ask King's more questions about this policy. Unfortunately, I am probably out of luck since we did not do our homework before we bought anything and didn't have a list of the right questions to ask. I guess we will know better next time! I guess while I am here I will ask another question of you pro's. Is it worth taking out another insurance policy on the ring if the ring is insured for life through King's?? Thank you so much!!

erica

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
If you think that this jeweler pulled a fast one you might not want to do business with them and just decided to eat the cost. It would kill me to get ripped off. See if you can sell the diamond on ebay or somewhere else. Just a thought.

Anyway, no matter what, after you purchase another ring get an independent appraisal immediately. Do not hesitate! It's worth the $75.00-$150.00 when you've just spent thousands. Good luck!

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
Whether you keep this one or exchange, I think it's worth the peace of mind to have an independent appriasier review the ring. Cost is probably div>

reena

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 9/20/2004 1:27:57 PM ebast1 wrote:

Is it worth taking out another insurance policy on the ring if the ring is insured for life through King's??
----------------

the ring is INSURED for life? or you have a lifetime option to exchange it for something else? quite different.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe a silly question but are your diamonds really clean. I have seen an SI1 diamond with a carbon spot under the table but it only shows when the stone is dirty and when it has been cleaned it cannot be seen. Would this be why you did not see the inclusions before? Ask a jeweller to steam clean the ring for you and then look.

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
There is a King's jewelry in the Findlay Mall. I walked in one time just to "see" what they had. All of there rings that were supposed to be Si quality stones were UGLY.. They were either white-ish... or visble carbon spots that were very visible to the naked eye. Maybe they can give you a store credit..??
I wish you alot of luck on this one.

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
An independent appraisal will help you negotiate.

If it comes back as an H/I color and I1-2 clarity, you will have a case for getting a full refund or a better deal on your upgrade. Well worth the $100

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
You may also be able to discuss having an appraiser only give you a clarity grade without a full appraisal. But I agree with most that a full appraisal will give you something to fight them with. If you can prove the goods are not as represented, then they might be willing to negotiate. If not, you have something factual to present to the BBB if you choose. Good luck!

jesrush

Rough_Rock
Before you do anything, I would have it ultrasonic\steam cleaned. The "inclusions" might dissapear OR the improved light performance might mask them if they truly are inclusions...

-JS

msbennie

Shiny_Rock
Either your diamond is an SI1 or SI2...one or the other. My ring is an SI1 and inclusions are not visible to the naked eye. However, there is a higher possibility of seeing inclusions with the naked eye on an SI2...so, again, find out which one you have. Also, I agree with the others, exchange the ring because you will never be happy with this one....Good luck!

fancyrock

Brilliant_Rock
Most of the jewelers I've talked to, they are all willing to have you upgrade (exchange) your diamond. I have just taken that route myself. After purchasing a "rock" and took it home and played around under diff lighting then to discover that it didn't look right. I did go thru an appraiser to confirm my suspicion and I ended up returning it. Now, is back to the drawing board again... start from square one, but with a better knowledge to look for THE one.
2.gif
I wouldn't just give up so easily and keep something that you don't like. Personally, I can't live with that thought.
sick.gif

good luck to you...

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am fairly new to this, however, the first jeweler I went to spent about 1 hour on diamond education that was essentially right on for the basics even after spending days on the web learning things (of course I asked to have diamonds explained to me).

That jeweler started out with a SI2 diamond, with a cert, and pointed out the flaw that was visable to the naked eye if you looked close. The explination I got was that "I" was obviously visable, and SI was slightly visable (visable to a trained or guided eye). He also pointed out that some people have slighly better eyesight and can more easily see the SI1/2 flaws than others (the ratings are apparently for people with 20/20 vision, and some have as good as 20/15).

That jeweler then worked up through the better grades using a 10X magnification TV system and showed that flaws existed in almost all diamonds (they did not have any flawless ones), and was also able to show the color differences and how you could not see them for 1 carat or smaller stones if set in a ring (I was only looking at round stones) for colors D-I (they did not have any J colored diamonds).

You may have got a diamond that is exactly as described, and you may also have better eyesight than many people so that you can more easily see the flaws.

When I am ready I will at least give that jeweler a chance at getting what I am interested in.

I will note that I have been in several other jewelry stores and am astonished by the lack of knowledge and outright lies of the people behind the counter. In two days of part time education I knew more about diamonds than they did.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results