Autumn....a Canadian Girl

autumn-ring--a.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Diana....lovely

princess_diana.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Not an e-ring, but belonging to an Elizabeth! One of the most fascinating rings ever.

ER_locket_ring2.jpg

ER_locket_ring.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
A Royal e-ring from the 60's. Apparently danish?

1209862654_10-1-1825.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Diana's Brother Charles gave the e-ring to his first wife for their engagement

spencerringsmall.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Other historical royal e-rings...

theroyalringsset.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
I'll try to get more royal e-rings up in a bit...I'd love to find a picture of Queen Victoria's famed snake ring that has emerald eyes...I have seen it only in paintings...:)
for Kate I also would have thought it best to give her her very own ring...she will have to deal with a lot that she would never have had to deal with had she not been wearing Diana's ring....but, what she does with that remains to be seen.
Best wishes Kate and Wills!

wenn3101677.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Wondering when we can celebrate Harry getting engaged! LOL....I know, i know...patience! What was Harry up to here? LOL mom stepping in... :twirl:

2eam268.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Harry and with Chelsy......Perhaps??????

chelsy-davy-prince-harry.jpg

prince_harry_narrowweb__300x449,0.jpg

prince-harry-chelsy-davy.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
The Groom..:)

DianaCharlsePrinceWilliam.jpg

prince-william_3.jpg

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for creating such a beautiful thread! I love seeing the different engagement rings. I have to admit to loving Sarah Ferguson. I know she wasn't an ideal royal but I would love to know her!

I really don't like Camilla's ring. It always looks so dark and yellow. Do we know anything about the colour?

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Maisie|1290271147|2774000 said:
Thank you for creating such a beautiful thread! I love seeing the different engagement rings. I have to admit to loving Sarah Ferguson. I know she wasn't an ideal royal but I would love to know her!

I really don't like Camilla's ring. It always looks so dark and yellow. Do we know anything about the colour?

Ah, the Royal Rebel. Gailey hits the "Like" button.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just love the way she breezed in and brought the jolly fun factor with her. Its a shame she didn't last. I love how she and Andrew are still so close. Has he had any other relationships apart from Sarah? You never see him in the papers with a lovely lady on his arm.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for this wonderful thread and for all the time and the hardwork that you have invested in it :appl: I always loved Diana and i hope that her son will have a much better and happier marriage than her...
May i post some pictures of Tatiana Blatnik and Prince Nicolaos of Greece, who got married last summer in Greece? Tatiana's ER is very similar to Diana's (and now Kate's) ring, but i think that the sapphire is a little smaller. I know for a fact that prince Nicolaos was given the sapphire from his mother and it is a family heirloom. The ring doesn't show very well in the photos, i wish somebody could find better ones. I saw it on tv and it seemed to be of exquisite color and quality...

8ed3c0720c2e12f020199559dbc56c43_0.jpg

nik-tatiana.jpg

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some more pics of the sapphire...

nikolaos1.jpg

Prigkipas-Nikolaos_b.jpg

nikolaos4.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
As you say different people have different views on Diana and I fully admit that she was loved by many - that is obvious - but not by all by a long shot. I speak as someone who has worked for the last 5 years with many of those involved in one way or another with the Royal Family at the time and since so I know quite a lot about what went on behind the scenes and never made the papers. Given they are members of the 'Establishment' they may well have views for certain reasons.

However, I stand by my own views.

By 'seen in her own light' what I mean is that Kate will not be endlessly compared with or regarded as 'Diana II'. Of course she has received training - the path she has chosen to follow isn't easy and she is going to need a lot of coaching in public speaking, media skills and even simple things like how to stand properly. Despite not being a member of a royal family or even an aristocratic one she seems to have coped admirably over the years - and also knows how to not be got by the press.

As to whether there is endless comparison in the news here, I guess it depends what magazines/newspapers you read. The BBC has had very little except a half hour programme yesterday evening on William and Kate and a mention on the news that Kate had visited Westminster Abbey. I'm not a magazine reader and tend to read the Times which doesn't have much on it either. As a monarchist I would be more than happy to read/see more.

As to whether or not I am a gemmologist... I have level 3 qualifications in gemmology and will be receiving my FGA, one of the most highly regarded gemmological qualifications, in a few months. I have also spent several years as a coloured stone buyer. I'm presuming that you are a GG?

Thanks for all the photos by the way - I'm really enjoying looking at them.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
This is what I would regard as a top colour sapphire. Obviously what is regarded as top is always subjected by I reckon the majority would feel this was close:

The stone is 3.30cts and the price is $36k a carat

sapphire_kashmir2222.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

sapphire_kashmir 22222.jpg

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that first one you posted Pandora. But so expensive!!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Same stone with different lighting - one of the most beautiful I've ever seen!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Sithathoriunet|1290223174|2773681 said:
This antique sapphire cabochon ring is a similar style to Diana's ring, showing just how traditional it is..:)

Sithathoriunet, I am most impressed. Leave it to you to find the derivation of the style. And all this time I thought it was in whole conceived in the '80's. Great detective work!

You know my feelings about Diana parallel yours pretty much exactly. IMHO, kate won't really be compared to Diana, because Diana is a legend the likes of which we are not likely to see again in our lifetimes. So I don't think it would be fair to compare Kate to her and I would guess most people will see it that way. There just isn't any use in comparing them. Diana is incomparable. That's nothing against Kate or anyone else, it just means that there won't be another Diana.

I've said it before but I'm glad William gave Kate the ring. I think it was a brilliant way to honor and include his mother who as the mother of the future king richly deserves this and any other honor he can bestow on her.

Thanks for your wonderful posts. I feel that you have an excellent understanding of the power royal figures have to affect the lives of everyday people and a tremendous grasp of history as it related to jewels.

This thread was a breath of fresh air.

Best,

Danny

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome back, Sithathoriunet!

You mentioned the sapphire's violet 'undertone.' What do you think about its tone? To me, the stone appears to be rather dark, even in close-ups (I stress "appears" because I have never and will never handle it). I'll venture to say that, if the stone is ever valued as one of the most expensive sapphires out there, provenance would be a major factor. And, no, I have had no formal gemmological training.

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Maisie|1290271147|2774000 said:

Hi Maisie!
Thankyou so much!
I am with you, I do love Fergie!!!!! She is spicey and I love that in her! I also love her ruby ring...just beautiful.

As for Camilla's, here is a quote that I found about it, I couldn't find too much else...
"Camilla's engagement ring is said to be a platinum and diamond Art Deco era ring once owned by the Queen Mother. The heirloom ring appears to have an emerald cut center diamond with three diamond baguettes on each side of it."

parker-bowles-ring.jpg

camilla-bowles-engagement-ring.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
natyLad|1290276711|2774041 said:
Thank you so much for this wonderful thread and for all the time and the hardwork that you have invested in it :appl: I always loved Diana and i hope that her son will have a much better and happier marriage than her...
May i post some pictures of Tatiana Blatnik and Prince Nicolaos of Greece, who got married last summer in Greece? Tatiana's ER is very similar to Diana's (and now Kate's) ring, but i think that the sapphire is a little smaller. I know for a fact that prince Nicolaos was given the sapphire from his mother and it is a family heirloom. The ring doesn't show very well in the photos, i wish somebody could find better ones. I saw it on tv and it seemed to be of exquisite color and quality...
Beautiful! What a gorgeous couple! Thank you natyLad for the posts!!! I'd love to see that ring up close....maybe we can find some pics!:)

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Pandora|1290277076|2774045 said:
As you say different people have different views on Diana and I fully admit that she was loved by many - that is obvious - but not by all by a long shot. I speak as someone who has worked for the last 5 years with many of those involved in one way or another with the Royal Family at the time and since so I know quite a lot about what went on behind the scenes and never made the papers. Given they are members of the 'Establishment' they may well have views for certain reasons.

By 'seen in her own light' what I mean is that Kate will not be endlessly compared with or regarded as 'Diana II'. Of course she has received training - the path she has chosen to follow isn't easy and she is going to need a lot of coaching in public speaking, media skills and even simple things like how to stand properly. Despite not being a member of a royal family or even an aristocratic one she seems to have coped admirably over the years - and also knows how to not be got by the press.

As to whether there is endless comparison in the news here, I guess it depends what magazines/newspapers you read. The BBC has had very little except a half hour programme yesterday evening on William and Kate and a mention on the news that Kate had visited Westminster Abbey. I'm not a magazine reader and tend to read the Times which doesn't have much on it either. As a monarchist I would be more than happy to read/see more.

As to whether or not I am a gemmologist... I have level 3 qualifications in gemmology and will be receiving my FGA, one of the most highly regarded gemmological qualifications, in a few months. I have also spent several years as a coloured stone buyer. I'm presuming that you are a GG?
Hi Pandora!
and thank you for your posts! It is great to meet someone who is also a gemologist! lol....there are not many of us out there to run into this way for sure!:) As some may know I have of course been a jewel artist and gemologist for a long time and I did post a few creations in my thread I did in show me the ring a while back....I love Love Love stones! ok, Im a bit obsessed! lol

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Pandora|1290277076|2774045 said:

Hi Pandora!!!
and Thank you for your posts! It is very nice to meet someone who is also a gemologist! I am a jewel artist and gemologist...Some may have seen a thread I did a while back called sithathoriunets jewels..it is one show me the ring...not sure if they even still call it that. I love Love Love gems! And when i buy them I tend to be very attached...ok a bit obsessive! lol.....

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Pandora|1290278133|2774057 said:
Nice nice!
of course this is not the only colour of sapphire considered top colour...as we know sapphires come in so many different colours and many different hues...this colour, very 'kashmire' is a top quality kashmire colour sapphire..there is also a top quality ceylon, and others as well...Diana's sapphire is in fact very light when it is viewed in the correct lighting..and of course this stone you posted was taken in ideal lighting meant to show this colour to it's best ability. Sapphires tend to look different in different lighting..as do most gems...i know, im stating the obvious,,lol but, Diana's sapphire is top quality for the region it came from, it is loup clean, highest saturated pure blue with undertone of violet and no hint of grey or of green...so, although it is slightly dark, this does not devalue it only because there are many buyers out there who prefer this classic well known colour of sapphire, I being one of them..smiles :naughty: I tend to lean towards the dark beauties that light up electric blue but do not look totally light...I like a good well saturated body with the hint of violet..just like the one in Di's ring.
The sapphire you posted is top colour, top Kashmire colour. Di's of course is also top colour, but not a kashmire....:)
I posted a pic or two showing it's internal light before, but here's one again just to see...:) crappy pic, but shows the light of Diana's ring..

ring promcess diana.JPG

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Like this top colour sapphire...yumm

4376_1.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Imdanny|1290291532|2774171 said:
Sithathoriunet|1290223174|2773681 said:
This antique sapphire cabochon ring is a similar style to Diana's ring, showing just how traditional it is..:)

Sithathoriunet, I am most impressed. Leave it to you to find the derivation of the style. And all this time I thought it was in whole conceived in the '80's. Great detective work!

You know my feelings about Diana parallel yours pretty much exactly. IMHO, kate won't really be compared to Diana, because Diana is a legend the likes of which we are not likely to see again in our lifetimes. So I don't think it would be fair to compare Kate to her and I would guess most people will see it that way. There just isn't any use in comparing them. Diana is incomparable. That's nothing against Kate or anyone else, it just means that there won't be another Diana.

I've said it before but I'm glad William gave Kate the ring. I think it was a brilliant way to honor and include his mother who as the mother of the future king richly deserves this and any other honor he can bestow on her.

Thanks for your wonderful posts. I feel that you have an excellent understanding of the power royal figures have to affect the lives of everyday people and a tremendous grasp of history as it related to jewels.

This thread was a breath of fresh air.

Best,

Danny

Hi Danny,
and thank you, Great to hear from you!
I'm glad you are enjoying this thread! :mrgreen:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results