shape
carat
color
clarity

Ebay Horror Show

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

merrittsring

Rough_Rock
Okay, I hesitate to even post this because I feel so stupid now, but . . .

I purchased a 1.25 princess cut diamond of ebay to upgrade my current center stone which is .71 (also a sour ebay purchase). The ring was certificed by National Gemological Laboraties as an SI2, color F. Cost 3,040.

After taking it to a local jeweler to put the stone in, the gemologist himself called to tell me that the stone has numerous fractures that reach the surface. Despite its pretty look, it was extremely unstable and he would not assume the liability of resetting it. I immediately called the ebay seller, who has agreed to return it, but is really pushing me to exchange it. The seller has said that is characteristic of SI2 and feels they have done nothing wrong.

My question is this, did I just get fleeced, or is this what I should expect of an SI2. the gemologist seems to think he would grade it no higher than an I2. (He is a gia grader).

What should I do next?

Thanks for any comments.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
return it immediately and buy from a reputable seller...........

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
I'm new around here, but I've never heard anyone say SI2's are inherently unstable. Sounds like you're being fed a line.

Z.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Don't do it!!! Get rid of that thing as fast as possible! If you want an AMAZING princess cut stone at an excellent price, use one of the PS vendors. I went with White Flash, and, with the help of Denise (and of course my wonderful guy), got the PERFECT stone! You may think the stone you have is pretty, but let me tell you when you get an amazing stone you'll see the difference!

My Stone

researcher

Ideal_Rock
BTW, an SI2 should NEVER have those issues!

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
Bull S*@$,

What you described is a defective diamond that is not fit for use - your jeweler won't mount it because it is fractured and may break. Sounds more like consumer fraud to this newbie.

I googled NGS under a couple different spellings but they don't appear to exist
14.gif

Get your money back!!

I have read some posts on people buying good diamonds on ebay but always with a reputable cert (see the https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-grading-lab-survey.18107/ for education)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The price sounds just right for one E/G, SI2/SI3 princess cut with an EGL cert.

Given the stone is indeed worse than I1 (and it is at least among the worst cases of I1, if even appropriate for any jewelry use), than this wasn't even a bargain.
rolleyes.gif

Just curious, how did these guys present the stone? It is easy to play with words, but such disaster should show plenty well in a picture, not to mention inclusion plot.

merrittsring

Rough_Rock
Thanks, everyone, for the advice. In case you are interested, the item is still on ebay. Number 4922138412.
See what you think about how it was represented.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I will never understand why people would prefer to make a thousands-of-dollars purchase like a diamond from eBay.

Never. It just defies explanation.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Return the ring and get a refund, I wouldn't even consider trading it for another piece with that vendor. Gather your $3040 and come shopping here on pricescope. I almost purchased a diamond from an Ebay vendor. When I finally came over here and did my homework, I came up with a diamond that was smaller but better quality, clarity, GIA certified, and with almost the same outside dimentions since it was properly cut and not too deep like the Ebay stone. It only ended up costing me an additional $100 for a beautiful diamond that I could feel confident about. In my searching on Ebay, I've found that good diamonds with GIA, AGS, or EGL certificates will cost you about the same as they cost here on PS.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I would get rid of the stone, if possible, and spend your money elsewhere.

Believe me--SI2s by nature do NOT have multiple fractures that jeopardize the nature of the stone...that is more like an I2. I'd hazard a guess that if you got that stone appraised, it would come back as an I1 at least--I am not a GG, but when an inclusion(s) threatens the stone, I think that is an automatic I1 rating at best....Experts?????

I'm sorry about your experience--eBay can look awfully tempting--but try to clean this up and shop elsewhere for a diamond.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results