shape
carat
color
clarity

please give me an opinion on these numbers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
I posted a while back about going to Birks (Toronto) and looking at a .84 ct e-ring for ~$9000 cdn. Pretty expensive. Some folks were kind enough to post some alternative, more economical sources for diamonds.

I''ve since gone to USAcerted and looked at the following (see below). What do you informed folks think?

Gem Scan

round brilliant cut
5.90 x 5.82 x 3.62mm

GS#: 203147 6/2/03

Weight: 0.76ct.
Clarity: VS-1
Colour: D
Cut: Ideal
Symmetry: Very Good

Megascope DR7-299 AGS 0 0.764 ct
diam. 5.88mm ( 5.34 - 5.92 ) x 3.63
depth 61.7%
crown 35.3 14.9% 0
pavil. 41.0 43.4% 0
table 3.32mm 56.5% 0
culet 0.3% None 0
girdle 1.6% (0.9 - 2.3) %

quoted price: $5500 cdn

Cut Advisor says:

Factor Grade
Light Return Very Good
Fire Very Good
Scintillation Good
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 3.2 - Very Good - Worth buying if the price is right

What do you think? It really sparkles! The SuperbCert .91ct was $7700 cdn, but this one seemed as bright if a little smaller. However, I am inexperienced at looking at stones. I''m not sure my eyes are good enough.

thx.

Z.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
My guess is this stone will be an AGS 3-4 when the new AGS system is released next year.

It could drop in value by +10%

I assume this is a typo
5.84 adds up.
1.3% out of round
sad.gif

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
5.90 x 5.82 x 3.62mm

I guess it's 5.84 - 5.92. That makes more sense, right?

I read that .07mm is the largest variance in diameter you would want in a .70 ct stone. I guess I'm a little above that.

Z.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
I'd worry about it being "steep and deep" and having light leakage under the table. Have you viewed it with an IdealScope?

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
haven't viewed it in an idealscope. Just with my eye. Is there an idealscope in Toronto?

thanks to all for responses.

Z.

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
Seems strange to buy an idealscope for a one time purchase. I guess you could consider it part of the price in purchasing a diamond. I don't think I would trust my ability to interpret what I see in the idealscope.

Z.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/20/2004 12:11:07 AM zdrastvootya wrote:

Seems strange to buy an idealscope for a one time purchase. I guess you could consider it part of the price in purchasing a diamond. I don't think I would trust my ability to interpret what I see in the idealscope.

Z.
----------------

Considering that $5.5K investment, an Idealscope plus shipping would be around 1% of the cost of the diamond. Agreed, you should learn how to interpret what you see. You might be heartened to know that, in a pinch, the inventor of the Idealscope is available on this forum for assistance.

It's not absolutely necessary, but I thought it prudent to suggest the possibility.

Best,

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
You're spending a big chunk of change on this one time purchase of a very complicated product. It helps to have all the knowlege and tools you can get your hands on
read.gif
The deck is stacked against newbies walking into their local B&M for independent advice on what is offered.

Unlike a H&A viewer, you can continue to play with your 25$ idealscope after the purchase
21.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Ah, but Sir Ricardo, the solution for the lonely H&A viewer is so simple... Acquire a second, unmounted H&A diamond and make that viewer it's home.

2.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Or Sir QuickOates, lash out the extra $5 for a hearts and Arrows CZ when you buy your Ideal-scope, and then take your CZ out for trips to stores with H&A's viewers
1.gif

And just for fun - challenge the retailers you visit that more than 1/2 their diamonds will fail the simple Ideal-scope test for leakage and poor symmetry
naughty.gif

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
Are the idealscope and h&A viewer really different? These things are mishmashing in my head as being the same thing. Can these devices be used once the diamond is set in a ring? I was assuming not, and the machine would get lonely from disuse
2.gif

On doing more reading, I guess the rock I described is in the lower end of an AGS 0. Are people telling me I could do better with the money I'm spending?

Thanks, all.

Z.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Z,

Worry naught about mishmash. That is what we're here to help with (we "pishposh" mishmash)
2.gif

The Hearts & Arrows Viewer was developed in Japan. It is different than the Idealscope. The point of the H&A viewer is to see optical symmetry and how each facet was cut. It is a simple tool that shows a combination of physical and optical symmetry (of course, physical symmetry results in optical symmetry). The Idealscope shows light leakage.

It is possible to use a H&A Viewer to see light leakage but you need to know how and the Idealscope is easier for this. Even better, the honorable Garry Holloway - inventor of the Idealscope - is posting in this thread and is among the best of Pricescope tour guides.

Once the stone is set you can still see make out the arrows with the H&A viewer (though not as well). In order to see the hearts you would have to unmount the stone, as they are viewed pavilion-side up.

As for what is best for your budget and needs, only you can determine that. The information and advice on this site are intended to enable you to make your decision with confidence.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/20/2004 3:32:06 AM Garry H (Cut Nut) wrote:

Or Sir QuickOates, lash out the extra $5 for a hearts and Arrows CZ when you buy your Ideal-scope, and then take your CZ out for trips to stores with H&A's viewers
1.gif

And just for fun - challenge the retailers you visit that more than 1/2 their diamonds will fail the simple Ideal-scope test for leakage and poor symmetry
naughty.gif
----------------

Good Sir Cut Knight, your wisdom and your wit are exceeding.
(tip of the helm)
10.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
I am SO glad I have an IdealScope. You can still use it once the stone is mounted, and it will serve you well should you ever purchase another diamond (girls tend to like diamond jewelry
2.gif
) -say for an anniversary sometime in the future. $25 now might save you from spending an extra $2500 on a crummy diamond!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results