shape
carat
color
clarity

Yikes...help, I''m confused

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jshoda

Rough_Rock
I''m so happy to have found this website! Buying diamonds is the most confusing thing ever. I am looking to upgrade my diamond. I''m searching for a 1.0 ct emerald cut (but honestly would be absolutely thrilled to get a larger stone!)to replace my 0.50 ct stone. I''ve been on this website for the past several hours doing searches. I''ve read and read and honestly have discovered so much more on this website than from any salesperson at the jewelers (we have been to four). So much to consider! Our budget is up to $5500 and we (my husband and I) are hoping that is reasonable. Please advise...from what I read...you guys are awesome! Thank you in advance.
confused.gif

rachelle

Rough_Rock
That sounds like enough $. Good luck in your search

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Ummmmm... I'd really recommend anything BUT ebay for diamonds from the horror stories I've seen here. Just my $0.02.

I have seen gorgeous looking ECs (though I really don't know anything about this cut) at niceice.com and at goodoldgold.com. I'm sure other vendors also have beautiful ones, those are just ones I remember off the top of my head. You also might want to become acquainted with the cut charts for fancy shapes at www.gemappraisers.com -very helpful. Don't hesitate to post specs here for feedback also, it might take a little longer to get responses for ECs because most folks know rounds better, but still definitely worth a try!

Good luck, and welcome to PS!
1.gif

jshoda

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your input!
1.gif

jshoda

Rough_Rock
what should I be looking for most in this type of cut? cut? clarity? color???? Please advise.

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Follow this link to the Dave Atlas site where you will find very handy cut quality charts for most fancy cuts, With emerald cuts I would sugest keeping clarity relitivly high,say VS2 and better, as inclusions are a lot more visable on open cuts.

I would also suggest you shop around with the pricescope vendors and give Ebay a miss, Ebay is definatly not for the faint hearted or the unskilled.

Johan

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rachelle, either you are promoting E-Bay, or you are perhaps naive.
I just looked at your history of posts.
Please be careful with your advice - novice to novice can be dangerous, and dealer to novice is not allowed.
Whichever is the case.......

rachelle

Rough_Rock
No, I am not a dealer just a buyer. I have gotten many nice things off of ebay and many of my friends have too. I know they are not for everyone but I found them to be very easy to work with most of the time. you are right about advise though I can only speak from my experiance. Though from your record here you have much more. I am new here but not new there. I do take a risk now and then hence the purple diamond I posted earlier. It is still returnable thanks to an escrow service. I have found people are not interested in ebay here in my whole 7 hours of membership. So I will not mention them again. You seem to have some very good info here and I do not want any bad feelings sense I am just starting. Therefor as a "non ebay" person I have heard that blue nile is very respectable and I am sure that there are allot of jewelers connected with this sight that can give her a good deal.
saint.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
One feature I like at DirtCheapDiamnond's site is the ability to put in your budget and diamond specs you're interested in and see what comes up. In your case I found this 1.24 H VVS1 "ideal" cut for under $5500.

Here's the link.

http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=2830532

jshoda

Rough_Rock
Thank you for finding that diamond and for some great input. I think the diamond you selected is a good choice which puts me in another bind. I had found a diamond at blue nile and here is where I need some guidance. Here are the specs:

Stock number: LD00282734

Carat weight: 1.11

Cut: Very Good

Color: G

Clarity: IF

Depth %: 68.4%

Table %: 59%

Symmetry: Good

Polish: Good

Girdle: Medium to slightly thick

Culet: None

Fluorescence: Faint

Measurements: 6.66x5.10x3.49 mm

Length/width ratio: 1.31

I have placed this diamond on hold as added the one selected at dirt cheap to my wishlist. Any thoughts on which to choose? This diamond is priced around 5200
thanks!
9.gif

jshoda

Rough_Rock
Here are the stats of the diamond pearcrazy found:
Stock Number: 2830532
Laboratory: GIA
Carat Weight: 1.24
Color: H
Clarity: VVS1
Shape: Emerald

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Depth: 65.1%
Table: 64%
Polish: VG
Symmetry: VG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Culet: N
Girdle: MD
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 7.33x5.47x3.56
price is 5387

jshoda

Rough_Rock
Sorry, one more for opinions figure the first is diamond A, second d-B, and this one is d-C

Stock number: LD00222813

Carat weight: 1.10

Cut: Very Good

Color: H

Clarity: IF

Depth %: 62.3%

Table %: 69%

Symmetry: Good

Polish: Good

Girdle: Thin to medium

Culet: Very small

Fluorescence: Medium blue

Measurements: 7.38x5.12x3.19 mm

Length/width ratio: 1.44

sells for around 5300- at least the confusion is narrowed down. The last stone I'm considering is 1.26 H IF great cut and is 6300 (this is a little out of price range). Thanks again for all your help.
jayne

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I'm going to vote for 2 or 3. I think the DirtCheap one is the best balanced diamond for the buck. Unless you have to have an IF stone, I don't see the need for the added premium. Numbers 2 and 3 are definately going to look larger than the first diamond and be less square. Diamond three looks pretty good too, but I think the table may be a bit too large. The price is similar to the second one but you get more carat size in number two with a smaller table.

jshoda

Rough_Rock
Thanks Pearcrazy! I started a new thread so members wouldn't have to scroll down for the latest postings. At least I'm in the final stretch. Thank you. I just may go ahead and buy the dirt cheap one but I'll review them again. Thanks!

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Just to make your decision more difficult, here's another one at a super price.

Whiteflash #2348803
GIA 1.2 carat
H
VS1
59.9%depth
73% table
Medium girdle
Good polish and symmetry
Cutlet- no
Fluorescence- no
7.33 x 5.51 x 3.3
Length to width= 1.33

Here's the best part- $4948

Table is a little large so you may want to talk to them first about how it looks. They grade it as a very good cut as opposed to the DirtCheap one which is a little closer to ideal. They are almost identical in size.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results