shape
carat
color
clarity

Which is more beautiful??

Which ring on the hand is more beautiful??

• 0.765c/ D/ IF/ 5.9mm/ H&A/ $7.4k

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 1.09c/ F/ VS1/ 6.6mm/ H&A/ $7.9k

• 1.26c/ H/ VS2/ 7.0mm/ Ideal/ $7.5k

• 1.60c/ J/ SI1/ 7.5mm/ Ideal/ $7.7k

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Todd07

Shiny_Rock

Would love to get feedback from the forum on this issue. Also, are the experts aware if this has been done in real life?

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Put four similar cost/cut diamonds in identical solitairesettings (vary the color and clarity)/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Put them on fingers and have people answer these questions/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

- Which is more beautiful and why/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

- Your guess on the 4C and cost/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

PS people, which would you pick if you saw them on fingers?Let’s assume they all had an HCA between 1-2 (should be possible for the price)

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Carat/color/clarity/diameter/Cut/cost

1) 0.765/ D/ IF/ 5.9mm/ H&A/ $7.4k

2) 1.09/ F/ VS1/ 6.6mm/ H&A/ $7.9k

3) 1.26/ H/ VS2/ 7.0mm/ Ideal/ $7.5k

4) 1.60/ J/ SI1/ 7.5mm/ Ideal/ $7.7k

Todd07

Shiny_Rock

My guess is a real test would show people picking the rings in reverse order from 4-1. Here's why:

- The experts say people will notice a 0.1mm size difference at 5-10ft. Since the stones vary about 0.5mm, the larger H & J stones will stand out.

- similar HCA scores mean the larger stones have more surface area to reflect light. This should apply in bright light (brilliance) and low light (fire) situations.

- Even if someone can tell the slight color differences on the finger, I think they will choose the extra full 1-1.5mm in size as the more beautiful (and expensive) ring.

Remember, the test is comparing well cut rings without knowing the grading. The only differences subjects can see are size and possibly color.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
On my hand, i'd prefer the H or the J because I prefer stones that are non-icy...

If I was going for a bezel set ring, I'd get the H cuz I think the J would be too big.

If I were looking at a normal prong setting, I'd prob go for the J but there's no way to say for sure til I saw the H & the J next to each other - I'd choose the one that 'spoke' to me, if any?
2.gif

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
For my hand, I'd take #2
3.gif
lickout.gif

H&A, colorless, eye-clean, and about 1 ct? I'd have to "work up" to that ring, but I think I could do it!
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I'd try to find an I (w/ blue fluor)/SI1 combo in the 1.40is range.
9.gif

cowboy1230

Rough_Rock
DeBeers must have done this type of marketing research
2.gif

I'd choose the H or J since I'm not color senstive.

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
I would choose #2 or #3 because I like a more colorless stone, but would want it to look as close to a carat or above if I had the choice, and I don't want to see any inclusions. I would LOVE to get either 2 or 3.
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My choice is either 2 or 3. I'm contemplating color now for my upgrade and actually found an F in my budget and it is only a .86 and then I also found a huge assortment of I and J's in the .91-.99 range and decided for my six month from now purchase
2.gif
that I'd rather have a smaller F than a larger J stone. This is all about personal preferance AND honestly, I'd not be inclined to purchase a 1.6 carat stone any time in the near future so if I went bigger, 1.26 (#3) is the biggest I'd go regardless of color/clarity.

Michelle

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
I did this poll because I feel people often slight I-J stones for their color. I get that they are less rare (cheaper) but I don't understand the "less beautiful" connotation that I often see implied with discussions on I-J stones.

I & Js are not for everyone but they do give you more size for your budget or help you stay within your budget /idealbb/images/smilies/saint.gif And they can be beautiful, even in platinum. The below thread shows some nice Js in plat

Pics of my Bezel Set RHR - YAY!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do not like the H VS2 combo, but I love H's...so if it were something like a 1.40c H SI2 then I'd be all over it because I would prefer H over J...but in terms of well-cut and loving size and not having great eyes for color, in this poll I would choose the 1.6 J SI1 (though I'd always prefer an SI2 over any other clarity as long as it was eye-clean or white inclusions).
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is an interesting way to ask the good old question... It is quite another thing to ask - "do you wnat the bigger diamond" and "what stone would you like in your favorite ring". Why would anyone wear a diamond on a string?

The setting makes three quarters of the deal to me - the nicest jewelry can be just carved gold if it is a masterpiece, IMO. So... the size of the stone doesn't matter all that much - you can always get some design that makes any stone sing. And... none of these stones is that huge so that the shape and details of the ring do not show beside it.

All those stones should be no-excuse beautiful, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results