shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany & Co pinches pennies

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Ite...params=s+5-p+2-c+288190-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

I don't this doesn't matter a lot in the scheme of things but, these (up until approximately a few weeks ago) used to have a different chain with much thicker links. Tiffany has replaced the chain with their standard chain with the thinnest links possible.

The original chain was much more substantial and matched the pendant much better. And I doubt the price for the set went down.

Who's the dumb person in corporate who doesn't understand that this damages the brand?

This is their signature designer.

Ok, mini-rant over. Just wanted to get that off my chest.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
If Tiffany's destroys their cache, will other storied brands be far behind?

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I have noted even the thickness of their silver tag bracelet chains are thinner.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Somebody at Tiffany & Co. needs to do some reading on the Cadillac Cimarron and what pinching pennies did to that company. No retailer is too big to fail anymore.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for posting this, Iam Danny. wow. bad biz move

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
You're welcome. You can call me Danny. :))

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Sizzle|1289027574|2756663 said:
I have noted even the thickness of their silver tag bracelet chains are thinner.

I didn't know this. Thanks. :))

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
texaskj|1289028909|2756673 said:
Somebody at Tiffany & Co. needs to do some reading on the Cadillac Cimarron and what pinching pennies did to that company. No retailer is too big to fail anymore.

Yes, it was a re-branded Chevrolet. What a mess. :))

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
reader|1289024755|2756649 said:
If Tiffany's destroys their cache, will other storied brands be far behind?

I don't know. There are a couple relatively inexpensive things I want from Cartier and then I'll be like, "I've got mine!" LOL! :))

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiffany is no longer in the same league as some of the high priced luxury retailers it once stood side by side with. The fact of the matter is that they've been going downhill for a long time, and their reputation, as far as I'm concerned, probably is as well.

They remind me of a high priced Zales, rather than a Cartier or a VC&A.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So lame...

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
tourmaline_lover|1289537398|2763075 said:
Tiffany is no longer in the same league as some of the high priced luxury retailers it once stood side by side with. The fact of the matter is that they've been going downhill for a long time, and their reputation, as far as I'm concerned, probably is as well.

They've gone down in my esteem in the last few years. I know the Tiffany Diamond is yellow but now they've introduced yellow diamonds and they're acting like they're the first people who ever heard of them. Their website goes on about how magical and perfect yellow diamonds are. It made me want to vomit.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
tourmaline_lover|1289537398|2763075 said:

Yeah, TL, I agree. They've become a high priced mall jeweler. The endless array of silver teenage stuff was the beginning of the end. Then they stopped offering much of the special service that made them what they were. When I worked there 10 yrs ago we used to examine the clasps on bracelets, etc., and found them really crummy. At that time they did not make all their stuff themselves but I think since then brought it all in-house to avoid paying cost + profit to subcontractors. Now they can make things cheesy themselves!

--- Laurie

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I think of Tiffany in NYC as a tourist store.

Everything is soooooo overpriced, too. :nono:

I was on their website one day and found a twin to my 3-stone 25th anniversary ring, same tcw, same quality stones.

It was $88 K at Tiffany. :shock:

I bought it at Costco for $12 K . . .

Now me and my husband like to joke about my $88,0000.00 ring . . .

figment23

Rough_Rock
Just for the record, the listing in the original post clearly shows that the chain is separate from the pendant and you can buy whatever chain suits your fancy. They just changed the chain they're showing it with.

I am not a Tiffany person, I was never nuts about their designs and when 12 year olds started sporting their bracelets, I crossed them off the list.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Figment, I think the overall point was that Tiffany is cutting costs to the bone.

Danny, I don't see their prices changing any :rolleyes:

As far as brands going down hill, I thought of Waterford today. Remember when all their crystal was hand cut by trained craftsmen that apprenticed for years? They stopped doing that some time in the '90's (not sure of timing) and went to all molded crystal. Then they actually went out of business a couple of years ago (because they didn't change their prices, even though the quality was suddenly junk), but were bought up by another company that is now producing even cheaper crystal.

So, yes, many brands are going downhill. . .

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1290042331|2770731 said:
Figment, I think the overall point was that Tiffany is cutting costs to the bone.

Danny, I don't see their prices changing any :rolleyes:

Yes, and I did note that the pieces are sold as a set or individually. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results