shape
carat
color
clarity

Carat Size Question

SteveNagacho

Rough_Rock
Hi All,
I have been in search of a round brilliant H VS1 1.35-1.4 ring for awhile now. My jeweler currently found a 1.29 H VS1 round triple excellent ring at a great price.
I am almost ready to commit to this but would like your opinion on the size.
My gf prefers (based on what she's tried on) 1.35-1.4 carat. Will the 1.29 be close enough in terms of looking at it w/ the naked eye? Or is it worth for me to search more and pay a premium to increase 0.6carats? I noticed it tends to be 2-3k more for that price increase I rather get her a pair of earrings to match since my guess is that the size will be unnoticeable. Would appreciate the feedback especially from the ladies who are particular about size :twirl:

Thanks!!

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
I responded to your other thread in Hangout.

By the way, just because the stone is triple Ex, doesn't mean it is a well cut stone. A great cut is what makes the stone beautiful - not excellent polish, symmetry, etc. If you have the angles for your stone from what I assume is a credible grading agency (GIA, AGS), post them here. We can help you determine (at least to some degree) whether it is well cut or a dud.

As a size girl myself, if your GF asked for 1.35 to 1.4 and you can afford it (comfortably), I'd try to hit those marks. What is this jeweler asking for your 1.29? Is it GIA or AGS graded? or EGL (some other place) graded? As I said in your other thread, I think $3,000 is way to much to bump a 1.29 to a 1.35 - these aren't even magic marks.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto. Carat weight does not equal face up dimension.

What is the dimensions as stated in the report? Look at a ruler and tell me if you can see the difference.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ask your jeweler to call in a 1.35ct and see what you think of the size difference.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
It really depends on the stone. If they're both well cut, the size difference will probably be negligible. If one is wonkily cut, there can be quite a size difference - but also probably a significant difference in attractiveness.

As I set out in the other thread, if size and price are a concern (and well, isn't it a concern for pretty much everyone), you don't need a VS1 to have a great looking stone that's eye clean (meaning - you can't see anything without a loupe/(magnifying glass)). VS2 is plenty clean for most people, and there are even some eye clean Si1's. I have a virtually eye clean Si2 - just a tiny clear speck on a corner that hides under a prong, and of course, both BF and I loved the price savings.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but here are some Si1's with great color. These stones are 1.5's but about the price of a 1.3 H VS1 on the pricescope search engine.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7622/

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2269917.htm

Unless it's a "mind clean" or cultural issue to have a VS1, I'd take a long hard look at these two Si stones. If you can't see any inclusions/imperfections with a 40x blown up picture, you won't be able to see them on a moving hand (but you should check with a vendor to make sure it's eye clean to your satisfaction from all angles.)

SteveNagacho

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys,
Here are the specs. Thoughts pls? Thank you!!

ROUND BRILLIANT

Measurements: 6.95 - 6.99 x 4.36 mm
Carat Weight: 1.29 carat
Color Grade: H
Clarity Grade: VS1
Cut Grade: Excellent
PROPORTIONS:

Depth: 62.6%
Table: 56%
Crown Angle: 35.0°
Crown Height: 15.5%
Pavilion Angle: 41.0°