shape
carat
color
clarity

Does INDEPENDENT really matter with appraiser?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
If you are dealing with reputable companies like WhiteFlash and USCert, who send an independent appraisal as well as the cert, does it really matter that WF or USCert or other has the appraiser on board, and they''re not really ''independent''?

Not only that, many of the stones have the cert number inscribed on them, so mixing up is unlikely.

Thanks for you opinion.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you just want a paper for insurance, no, it does not matter.

Otherwise, you can always use such service... and why would you trust someone who wants to sell you another diamond, for example !?
2.gif
it's not "independent" that matters but, really, not interested in the transaction... and that's my not be easy to find as long as you come into the office of a diamodn seller basically asking: "here's a diamond from your competitor, if you say it's bad, I am not going to buy it". Well, or something like that, IMO.
11.gif

Did you see THIS thread ?

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
I did see that thread. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

But I just meant, if you have a reputable jeweler with a cert, and most of WF's diamonds are inscripted with the number,......and they provide paper AND appraisal, what's the point of going to another appraiser? USCert and Good Old Gold, if i'm not mistaken also include an 'independent' appraisal.

I thought the point was to make sure you were getting what you thought you were getting, and it seems from the posts that isn't an issue with WF and the other vendors on Pricescope.

I'm going to talk to WF, USCert (though they have way way too many diamonds and not organized into super cuts) on Monday and try to make my purchase by friday. I've learned so much i'm burning out.

When you find what you want and can afford, the prices tend to be close, so you shoot for the guy with the best rep, the best docs, the best guarantee, the closest match to what you want, for the best price (since you're a sure buyer and not in the 'education' stage).

And, I don't want to end up sending a diamond back because I got an SI1 with a black chunk in the table.

I will definitely report back, good, bad, or medium......my buying experience.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
"If you are dealing with reputable companies like WhiteFlash and USCert, who send an independent appraisal as well as the cert, does it really matter that WF or USCert or other has the appraiser on board, and they're not really 'independent'?"

I have to jump in here to clear up what you have said.
Whiteflash does not send an independent appraisal with the diamond. We send a Letter of Verification written by an independent appraiser. The Letter of Verification states that the diamond is the same as the GIA or AGS Diamond Grading Report and that the diamond is not damaged. This is not an appraisal.

Further the independent appraiser that is used by Whiteflash is an "independent". He is not on our payrole and he has his own office and clients. He does appraisals as a full time business and does not sell diamonds or jewelry. Whiteflash is just one of his clients.

Sometimes one of our customers asks for an appraisal which the appraiser will do for an additional fee. This only happens rarely.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 9/19/2004 4:53:46 PM dimonbob wrote:

'If you are dealing with reputable companies like WhiteFlash and USCert, who send an independent appraisal as well as the cert, does it really matter that WF or USCert or other has the appraiser on board, and they're not really 'independent'?'

I have to jump in here to clear up what you have said.
Whiteflash does not send an independent appraisal with the diamond. We send a Letter of Verification written by an independent appraiser. The Letter of Verification states that the diamond is the same as the GIA or AGS Diamond Grading Report and that the diamond is not damaged. This is not an appraisal.

Further the independent appraiser that is used by Whiteflash is an 'independent'. He is not on our payrole and he has his own office and clients. He does appraisals as a full time business and does not sell diamonds or jewelry. Whiteflash is just one of his clients.

Sometimes one of our customers asks for an appraisal which the appraiser will do for an additional fee. This only happens rarely.

----------------
I don't consider an appraiser that is having his fees paid for by the vendor to be independent. They are still an agent of the company even if they are not on payroll. Besides, I don't see this much different from a qualified employee at any vendor double checking to make sure a mix-up hasn't happened.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results