shape
carat
color
clarity

No access to Idealscope or Brilliancescope

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
My boyfriend has been emailing with a reputable online dealer who has great feedback on PS and is wonderful with his communication. The only thing that concerns me is that he said that he has no access to an Idealscope or Brilliancescope. Is that something that we should be concerned with or do we just wait until it goes to the appraiser after we have made the purchase? What do you all think?
Thanks for your help
2.gif

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
You could purchase it and take it for (or send it) for an independant appraisal. If it isn't what you want, send it back as per their return policy.

Would you mind telling us who your looking at?

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
In this case, we have been communicating with engagementringsdirect.com. They have been amazing with communication and searching out the most choices within our specs- so helpful because, of course, we are looking for a lot within a relatively small price range. Also, they will definitely be getting me sarin and GIA reports with no hesitation. We just wondered how important it is to have brilliancescope and idealscope images before we purchase. I like to see as much as possible before I buy on the internet.
What we are hoping for is (hopefully we are being realistic):

Cut: Ideal (pref. FIC or TIC on Holloway Cut Advisor)
Color: d-g
Clarity: vs1 - MAYBE si1 if it is totally eye clean.
Carat: .90 - 1.0
Girdle: Thin- Slightly thick
Sym: Ideal - Very Good
Polish: Ideal- Good
Culet: none
Fluorescence: none
Price Range: No more than $4600 "out the door"

Any feedback is more than welcome. Maybe we are asking too much for what we have to spend??

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
4600 may be tough for D-G 0.9x VS, doable if you find a nice SI1.

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
idealscope or B-scope images are great for weeding out poor performers. If can't get the IS or BS images, ask for a Sarin report and plug the info into cut adviser

Have you tried the search by cut quality link https://www.pricescope.com/sift.asp

Several choices for under 4.5k

If you don't have full info before you pick your stone, make sure your appraiser can perform the tests you want (BS or IS work). My local appraiser could only confirm my stone matched the cert (no brilliance or IS scope). That was Ok for me since I had already seen the IS image etc.

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
Actually, very few appraisers have the Brilliance Scope as I understand. If the appraisers wish to correct me, please do.

It seems that there are some diamond buyers who deal with the cert and the Sarin and that's it.

The good advice is use the cut advisor at the top of this page!

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all. The feedback is wonderful!

Ricardo, the cut quality link is very helpful.

Blueman, you are so right. We are definitely using the HCA.

We'll keep searching for the "perfect" stone for us, and hopefully we will find a beautiful one in our range.
wink2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well... is this Blue Nile ? Everyone esle seems to be using either the Iscoe or H&A viewer or both
wink2.gif

In fact, here are two of them:

One E-SI that shows a nice set of arrows on the Ideal Scope. This SI has a nicely clean inclusion plot, but you may wnat to ask about the strong blue fluorescence. This does not make for a reason not to consider the stone, just to inquire, IMO. "Strong fluorescence" means a rather wide range - most of it desirable.

There is yet another piece that may be of interest: THIS. Obviously no excuses needed for this one.

Between these there is bu the slightest size difference (diameter taken for size) IMO.

For some reason there are not too many stones showing between 3 and 5.5 k
rolleyes.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
I've seen that E SI1 that Ana listed... it's beautiful, and the strong blue fluor is not an issue -it's not cloudy or milky at all. It doesn't face up quite as big as it could because of the slightly thick girdle, but aside from that it's a lovely stone.

[edited to add: I believe this one is the IS you posted in your other thread, Kaili. WF had listed the fluor wrong when I was looking at it, I only found the info on the cert. If memory serves, it is eye-clean]

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
Valeria: thank you for taking the time to search for me. I'm constantly amazed by the helpful people on this board. I have looked at the first stone you listed and missed the second because I wasn't searching below .90. They are both beautiful, but what turned me away was the fluorescence. Maybe I need to research fluorescence more. I thought that fluorescence would help colored or slightly colored stones, but take away from the look of colorless ones. It sounds like you don't think so.

quaeritur: You are on top of things! The idealscope pic that I listed in my other post came from another company than the one listed in this post, but perhaps it is the same one listed on two different websites. I'm not entirely sure how those things work. Also, you are right that the fluorescence was initially listed wrong on their site. I told them, and I believe they fixed it
2.gif

Thanks for all of the feedback! I'm starting to sort through everything with the help of PS and the members.
wavey.gif

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 9/19/2004 12:26:54 AM Kaili wrote:

They are both beautiful, but what turned me away was the fluorescence. Maybe I need to research fluorescence more. I thought that fluorescence would help colored or slightly colored stones, but take away from the look of colorless ones.
----------------

Chances are great it's a non-issue in terms of appearance, but don't make the mistake of paying the same for a medium-strong fluorescent D or E as you would for none. Even if it looks great the market typically discounts these and consumers typically avoid them making resale more of a problem. Not sure why something that's most often not a problem at all is perceived as such by the market.

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
Great point Elmo. I do believe that it has been discounted due to fluorescence as the price is $3999.00. Does that sound right?
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results