shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of my engagement ring? Not sure how I feel

nr00

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend and I looked at engagement rings together to get ideas of what I like. Then he was able to look on his own to surprise me. He ended up coming back to one we both saw together that I liked. It's already being made ready for me.
I will attach photos.

When I was there I asked the jeweler if anything could be done for the trillion diamonds next to the center diamond. He told me he could change them to round. He held round over the trillions and I liked it a lot better. There's some reasons why in the end that the trillions couldn't be changed to round-- price and a lot changed in the ring that I don't know if I'd like it. I didn't choose this in the end, my boyfriend did. I wish I was there at the time but he was really sure for me.

I showed someone the pictures and they said the trillions looked odd. I didn't expect a comment like that and now I'm really curious if anyone else finds the trillions odd?

What we are going to do is not get this ring sized and I will see how I like it in its entirety, especially as I don't know what it looks like with the center diamond nestled in where it belongs.

I am curious what others think, so here are pictures. It is up to me, but I am so curious-- do you like this ring?
The center diamond is high because it is just being balanced on the prongs for showing in the top view, it would be settled in there of course :)

luckygirl333

Rough_Rock
Re: What do you think of my engagement ring? Not sure how I

My advice would be that if you aren't sure how you feel about it you should wait and find one you love.

You will be wearing this ring EVERY day for the rest of your life.

You will find the one that makes you happy!

stci

Ideal_Rock

OMG! Why the center diamond is so high? I really don't like the look like that but it's just my opinion. Sorry...

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think it looks goregous and I love it! BUT it's how you feel that matters.

nr00

Rough_Rock

The center diamond is only being balanced. I edited my post to include that note. I probably should have had the jeweler take the diamond off for the side view shot that I took.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

well it seems like you don't love it...so then it's not the one! that simple.

if you love it then great! who cares if someone else thinks trillions look odd-what matters is what *you* like.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What matters is not what we think of it but what you think of it. We may love it or hate it but YOU have to wear it every day for years. Is it something you LOVE? If not, then return it and get something you are sure you LOVE! There must be something out there that makes your heart sing! :appl: :appl: :appl:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

If he JUST ordered it, chances are work hasn't started on it yet. Is there any chance you can negotiate a new deal at this point & BE involved in selecting a different ring from the same jeweler? Or stopping the order entirely & starting over? (Not sure how feasible that is, or what kind of deposit he'd lose in the process...)

I know how he WANTED it to go ... but you also didn't expect him to ruin the surprise early. Deal with what has ACTUALLY happened. Now that it HAS happened. Now that he DID spill the beans and you immediately had a NEGATIVE reaction to the unaltered ring he ultimately chose against your wishes.

Good luck! How you negotiate this is probably quite typical of how your relationship will go once wed. Keep your eyes open!

ETA: If you don't like trillons, you're probably NEVER going to like them. Why bother having the ring made if you already know you won't like it. Its acutally more work for the jeweler if you're just going to return it. Can you even? If you are having it custom made? Or are they just setting the diamond in a stock setting?

nr00

Rough_Rock

That is true, it is still early. I still find myself confused because I just thought it was so sparkly and beautiful in person but the style itself is not quite what I have in mind. I admit I am asking this to see if anyone likes it and if that will help me to warm up to it more. I think what threw me off even more was the "looks odd" comment about the side diamonds... I figured it was a "like" or "dislike," not a possibility of an "odd" : - (

cecily

Rough_Rock

Personnally, I like it just like that, and I am thinking of having my solitaire set up in something similar. I really do not like the look of a round center with 2 rounds on the side. But that is just me, you have to like it as you will live with it for a long time. It really is lovely though.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock

My concern with this ring would be to find a coordinating wedding band.

Venice

Brilliant_Rock

I think that the ring is very pretty and the side trillions do NOT look "odd" at all.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

Re: "looks odd" ... was this the opinion of someone who is familiar with looking at photos like this ... of stones not yet set balanced on a setting ... not to mention the somewhat fuzzy focus?

Here's what I'd say ... its a unique look. Not many rings have "shoulder pads" like that. Its distinctive. Its a specific "look" that most people would either like or dislike immediately.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Triangles w/ Rounds. Or triangles period. It doesn't look "odd" to me but it lacks the kind of flow that my eye reacts BEST to. Does that make sense?

Hope that helps. Again, good luck!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Does it look odd? No, not at all!

nr00

Rough_Rock

I am grateful for these responses! Especially decodelighted, I appreciate your comments. The "odd" remark came from these same pictures, I agree they are not best (taken with my phone).
I am probably stupid for saying this here but I'm nervous someone I know is going to see this ring and know it's me and know I feel this way. I'd be so embarrassed, I feel bad enough having to tell my boyfriend the ring he picked to have for me may not be the one. We are going to decide tomorrow if we are to contact them and let them know what we want to do (keep looking). I plan to sleep on it and see by noon tomorrow. I never knew this could be so hard!

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock

There's nothing at all odd about that setting IMO. Perhaps the person has never seen a trillion before?
You should follow your 1st impression. . . don't let one wonky comment form someone change how you feel.

stci

Ideal_Rock

nr00|1289784716|2766112 said:
The center diamond is only being balanced. I edited my post to include that note. I probably should have had the jeweler take the diamond off for the side view shot that I took.

Ok! The ring herself is really beautiful IMO! Was just the high diamond who affraid me! :bigsmile:

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I think that setting is absolutely gorgeous, and perhaps the person you showed the pictures to was a little jealous! ;-)

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock

Personally, I think it is a lovely design. Nothing "odd" about it. However, if you are unsure about it, I say you either make the changes you want, or find a different ring that makes you swoon. You will be wearing it for the rest of your life and you shouldn't feel wishy-washy about it...

DistractedByBling

Rough_Rock

IMO it is absolutely stunning, I love the detail from the side. I also really like the trillions they make it unique. but ultimately you need to love it!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock

I think the setting is really pretty. If it is the trillions you don't like, could they switch them out for traps? Or another sidestone?

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock

I think its beautiful and nothing about it looks "odd". I love trillions and think we will like it as well as soon as its set and you can actually wear it!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it looks pretty too and dont see anything "odd" about it. But you have to like it. Wear it a few days and see
how you feel. Hopefully with the diamond in place it will be more to your liking but if not, speak up!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

personally I LOVE trillions!!!!!!!!!! Just focus on what YOU like - don't pay heed to this person's comment.

STEPHANSON

Shiny_Rock

if you dont love it 100% i think you should find something you will love forever. you dont want to learn to love your ring.

sparkledust

Rough_Rock

I think the ting looks really busy, I think that 3 rounds next to eachother would look "odd"

Agent P

Rough_Rock

I think you are worrying way too much about what other people think/or will think. How you feel is most important. If you were totally in love with this ring the worry wouldn't be there and you would just be excited about getting your ring!!!!

FWIW and not that it matters, I think that is a beautiful setting and I prefer the trillion side stones to rounds.

Just my 2 cents.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock

Do YOU think it looks odd, or did you only start becoming concerned when someone else said it looked odd? I understand that concern completely, but if it's the latter, just keep in mind that there will always be people who love your ring, and people who don't. I personally don't think it looks odd at all, and I like it when people combine shapes that are not usually combined. It's unexpected, unique and gorgeous.
The bottom line always remains though, get what you love.

nr00

Rough_Rock

Yes I was so surprised they said the trillions looked odd (instead of "not my preference" at least) on the setting, and where I am already not the biggest fan of trillions, I got really nervous about it. Aside from my own uncertainty, the "odd" comment prompted me to get more opinions on it and post!
I appreciate the replies on this topic, thanks again everyone : - )

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results