shape
carat
color
clarity

Discussions about sims

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can I respectfully ask why we can't talk about sims? Would it be possible to have an area dedicated to the discussion of sims? With the condition that there is no cross over to the rest of the boards? Maybe have a SMTS (show me the sims) thread to keep pics in one place.

There are many people who can't afford or don't want a diamond. I know there are many beautiful pieces made with sims and I think it would be nice to have somewhere to talk about them. :))

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Maisie said:
Can I respectfully ask why we can't talk about sims? Would it be possible to have an area dedicated to the discussion of sims? With the condition that there is no cross over to the rest of the boards? Maybe have a SMTS (show me the sims) thread to keep pics in one place.

There are many people who can't afford or don't want a diamond. I know there are many beautiful pieces made with sims and I think it would be nice to have somewhere to talk about them. :))

Hi Maisie,

Just like the pearl section was created, I am considering creating a sims section based on the same principles.

Still thinking through the details and waiting on some completion of functionalities.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thats great! Thanks Andrey :))

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I respectfully disagree. Sims belong to that other forum. We don't need to bring that over here. Let Less keep his business to himself and lets not steal from him.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby said:
I respectfully disagree. Sims belong to that other forum. We don't need to bring that over here. Let Less keep his business to himself and lets not steal from him.

I strongly agree with this - the world of simulants or natural diamond-look-alikes is a very different can of worms from pearls.

People who look for information about/purchase pearls are not looking for substitutes to real gemstones - pearls are gems. People who look for information about/purchase CZs, moissanite are very often (not always, but very often) looking for diamond substitutes that they can set and pass off as real diamonds - I really feel that a subforum meant for discussion of and admiration for these articles of deception will detract from the focus of PS, which is first and foremost a forum dedicated to education and appreciation of real diamonds, whether natural or lab-created. People who do want to investigate simulants have ample resources elsewhere.

The few cases wherein CZs do contribute largely to diamond disussions - Garry's IdealScope that comes with an ideal-cut CZ, people advocating buying CZs to see what diamond size someone prefers - are already permitted and monitored, and I see no reason to change a system that works well :))

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There isn't anyone on PS who waves their diamonds around and claims they are sims. However, a lot of the sims people do not come clean about the fact they're wearing sims. This is my biggest issue with the group. Well, that and their obsession with trying to pass off sims here as diamonds. What's the point?

If they can't afford diamonds or choose for other reasons to wear sims, be proud of it and don't pretend they're diamonds.

Think long and hard about this Andrey. I think including sims will change the tenor of PS in big way and I'm not sure it will be in a good way.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Thank you everyone for your feedback. When Andrey says we are considering it, it only means that we are considering it. :))

No decisions have been made yet, but we appreciate your feedback.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
If I look at PS from a business percpective, I'd have to ask myself, would I want people who found PS because they're researching the perfect diamond to come here and then find SIMS? The answer is no.

It's a liability in a sense. If someone who's ready to spend thousands, winds up spending a fraction of that because they're being told SIMS are just as good, or because of ethical issues (and face it, that's exactly where it would go),- on a diamond site no less, sales go down, advertisers leave.

Then again, it's really about where admin sees this site going...

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie said:
AprilBaby said:

I strongly agree with this - the world of simulants or natural diamond-look-alikes is a very different can of worms from pearls.

People who look for information about/purchase pearls are not looking for substitutes to real gemstones - pearls are gems. People who look for information about/purchase CZs, moissanite are very often (not always, but very often) looking for diamond substitutes that they can set and pass off as real diamonds - I really feel that a subforum meant for discussion of and admiration for these articles of deception will detract from the focus of PS, which is first and foremost a forum dedicated to education and appreciation of real diamonds, whether natural or lab-created. People who do want to investigate simulants have ample resources elsewhere.

The few cases wherein CZs do contribute largely to diamond disussions - Garry's IdealScope that comes with an ideal-cut CZ, people advocating buying CZs to see what diamond size someone prefers - are already permitted and monitored, and I see no reason to change a system that works well :))

Ditto.

figment23

Rough_Rock
I respectfully submit that rejecting moissanite, etc on the basis of being lab created has more basis than for the stone being a simulant.

Rather, I submit that these are SUBSTITUTES. Not everyone wants to pass one off and pretend they own a very large diamond. I simply oppose the diamond industry, though still like to read and see everyone's new rings, etc, and would often like to discuss a setting, etc but cannot because inevitably, the thought would come up that it is not a diamond being set.

I think discussion of them in context as substitutes instead of simulants, much like colored gemstones are often suggested as substitutes, is a reasonable thing to have even on a diamond/natural gemstone forum.

For example, I have many questions about settings, etc that would be better answered by some of the participants here who have more experience than by some posters on "the other forum" and don't particularly have any interest in presenting my possible stone as a diamond. There are a lot of members here educated about jewelry in general and I think their knowledge could be useful, even to someone who is considering a simulant gemstone, be it a diamond simulant or a synthetic (lab created) gemstone. Especially since we allow discussion of lab-created diamonds, but not other gemstones, it seems a bit petulant to exclude other lab stones.

Perhaps it would require more heavy handed moderation, but I think such a forum could be informative and successful.

JMHO, of course.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
You said yourself you oppose the diamond industry. So why come on a diamond forum, and ask for a sub-forum on sims, or diamond alternatives? Doesn't make any sense to come here and request it. It's like me going on a food forum that specializes in Asian cuisine and asking for a sub-forum to be created on American hot dogs because that's what I prefer.

You mentioned settings, questions about settings have no bearing on what kind of stone you have. They can easily be asked and would be answered. The only difference is, you wouldn't be able to post pics of the finished product. Aside from ooh's and ahh's, that shouldn't make a difference.

Pricescope advertises itself as a diamond education site. Creating a sub-forum for sims, moiss, what have you, directly conflicts with the interests of what PS currently is.

However, depending on where admin. wants to go with PS, it may make sense. But if they want to keep it primarily about diamonds , the worst thing they can do is introduce alternatives to the real thing. It would negate the whole point of this site.

Yes I sound redundant, i just don't get it. To me, there's absolutely no reason whatsoever that anyone could want for changing this from a diamond forum, to a free for all.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I vehemently dislike the idea.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results