shape
carat
color
clarity

Help name my new baby python!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
My dearly loved python very sadly and suddenly died yesterday morning. I'd just finished building a new vivarium and he was due to move in over the weekend. Every time I looked at it I kept tearing up as did DH. So, DH sent me off this afternoon to choose a new baby snake.

The new arrival is an 8 week old, very tiny ball python. He's a Pastel colour morph - chocolate brown with yellow markings that have a rosy blush to them - and very pretty with green/gold eyes. I got him from one of the top breeders worldwide - it was very hard to choose, they had so many beautiful ones I could have come home with several! They had one incredible looking one (Soul Sucker morph) but he was £18k :-o. I haven't taken photos yet as I want him to settle in a bit before I start handling him too much, but here's a pic of what he kind of looks like:

Anyway, I am name hunting for him.... suggestions so far are:

Ptolemy
Mordecai
Voldemort
Severus
Salazar

any other suggestions, or votes for the above?

pastel ball python.jpg

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I was going to suggest Salazaar, and I see it's already on your list!!

I'm so fascinated by snakes. He's gorgeous!!

btw- I'm sorry for the loss of your pet.

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
I like Salazar. It's so cool that you have a pet snake! (I'm afraid of snakes).

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I love the Harry Potter bent to the names :razz: He's beautiful - I didn't realize pythons could be so expensive! But what striking coloration.

I'm loving Voldemort (because you can call him Voldy ;-) ) and Severus.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Salazar!!!

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
OMG! He's beautiful :love: I had a lovely lady named Isabella and if I had ever found her man he would have been Bart :cheeky: Don't know why, but I just like the name Bart for a snake. Sorry, I'm no help!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
The first and on name that comes to mind is, Lucifer. I'm laughing as I type this, but I can't help it, that's the first thing that comes to mind when I think of snakes. They freak me out.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Gempassion said:
I like Salazar. It's so cool that you have a pet snake! (I'm afraid of snakes).

They're gorgeous creatures, I never tire of watching them. I have an 8 year-old female as well, she's a normal colour type (dark brown and gold with black eyes) and called Milly.

Ball pythons are particularly tame and nice natured although they can be a bit nippy as hatchlings (it's like being bitten by a clothes peg though, a cat scratch is far more painful). They're the species they use for treating phobias as they're so calm. They're also relatively small: males don't normally get bigger than 3.5 ft and females around 5ft. I believe there are a few at 6ft + but anything over 5ft is considered unusually large.

On the whole snakes are far more scared of you than you are of them and will try and get away as fast as possible. Ball pythons just curl up in a tight ball with their heads in the middle - I can't see you, so you can't see me :rolleyes: - if they feel threatened. Cobra's and Mamba's are pretty bright but on the whole snakes are not the most intelligent of creatures. I've heard loads of stories recently about someone having to have their pet boa put to sleep because it kept stretching itself out and eyeing up the owner and was therefore 'planning' to eat them. Frankly I'd like to see a boa 'plan' anything other than another 24hr snooze...

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know, I never thought I'd say this, but he's really..um, pretty. In a scary sort of way (sorry,Pandora, but I'm afraid of snakes). Don't take offense -- I really do think his markings are well, remarkable.

How 'bout Lex? That's the first name that popped into my head when I first saw the title of the thread.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
LOL, if you keep snakes you generally get used to 2/3rds of the population being at least wary if not terrified. When you then tell them that you keep frozen mice/rats in the freezer alongside the frozen veggies it tend to finish them off! :bigsmile: So, no offence taken.

Here's a picture of my baby - as you can see he's pretty tiny...

Attachments

• pandora's baby pastel python.bmp
    940.8 KB · Views: 799

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Monty?

Hahahhahah, I couldn't resist! :bigsmile: :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

I think out of your short list, it has to be Mordecai, purely for the alliterative value with his mate-to-be!

Welcome baby-python-as-yet-to-be-named :wavey: .

audball

Ideal_Rock
Going with the Harry Potter theme...how about Malfoy?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I adore Mordecai!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
He's very pretty! I like Mordecai.

If you dig Monty Python, playing off Steal's idea, you could name him after someone on there...Cleese?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about a philosopher name....like Spinoza....

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Great suggestions!

Others I have been given are:

Phoenix (DH's mother liked the idea of him rising from Portius's ashes and as a new beginning)
Prospero
Junius
Claudius
Hector
Osvaldo

oh and the usual Monty/Julius Squeezer etc

It's worse than naming my daughter! Since they potentially live till 50+ he's going to have to live with it for many years...

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your new little guy, he's adorable. I'm always happy to see a fellow snake lover (I'm mom to 3 Maddy's aka; Madagascar Ground Boas) I lost a young BP a few years ago and was devastated by the loss having had one many years ago. I hope you have better luck with this little guy as mine was the unfortunate result of eager breeding and greed which lead to my aquiring an unhealthy young snake. Lesson learned.

Balls are great snakes and I do love the alien faces on the sides along their bodies, so cute. I cannot help in naming him as mine are the still without appropriate names themselves, but they have many. Agreed, It does take a special spouse that puts up searching the freezer for human food when it's stock full of various pet "foods" from blood worms to rats (even when there is a whole freezer just for that purpose in the basement, lol) :shock:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Slinky :bigsmile:

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
The first thing I thought of was that viral youtube video... Snape, Snape, Severus Snape, Dumbledore! So, thanks for that. But I thing Severus would be a cool snake name, and your new baby is gorgeous!

In case you've never seen the youtube video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1XIm6q4r4

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I love Salazar. And he is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
redfaerythinker said:
The first thing I thought of was that viral youtube video... Snape, Snape, Severus Snape, Dumbledore! So, thanks for that. But I thing Severus would be a cool snake name, and your new baby is gorgeous!

In case you've never seen the youtube video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1XIm6q4r4

HOLY COW I HAVE BEEN HUNTING FOR THIS VIDEO FOR MONTHS!!!!!!!!!

deja_entendu

Rough_Rock
Sorry to hear about your python, it's so hard to lose a pet.

Your new boy is beautiful! I've been really wanting a snake but sadly it's going to have a wait a few more years. I love all the Harry Potter names.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
RFT~ OMG. I have never seen that video. Now, I'm going through all the puppet videos! Hilarious!!!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Pandora, are you holding out on us? Did you pick a name yet?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
deja_entendu said:

Your new boy is beautiful! I've been really wanting a snake but sadly it's going to have a wait a few more years. I love all the Harry Potter names.

Thanks, still can't quite believe he's gone. For a Royal he was very active and rarely in one of the hides unlike Milly so I was so used to see him creeping about the tank all day.

I've finished the new vivarium and it looks even better than I hoped - I'll take some photos and post them. I sold the old one on eBay today to a girl who keeps corns, I hope they enjoy it!

What kind of snake are you thinking of? I love my Royals but they can be a total PITA when it comes to eating - they can easily go a year without food which is a bit scary the first time they do it. Corns are nice and easier to keep - they need lower temps, lower humidity and they eat like dustbins. If I was to get another breed I'd like a Chondro (Green Tree Python) - they're stunning, but need a very high tank, near 100% humidity and have 2" long teeth - and aren't friendly like the Royals. Boas are a good choice and not as picky as the Royals when it comes to food, but they can get BIG - ditto the Burmese.

Cnspotts - would love to see some photos of your maddies! I bought the new baby from Crystal Palace Reptiles who are the Royal Python morph experts in the UK. He was one of their own CBs and I know they're very careful with their genetics programme and have a large breeding stock - they do a lot of work with companies like NERD in the USA. You pay a bit more even for the 'wild type' colour with them, but you know you're getting a healthy beastie. I plan to breed from him so good genes were high on my list. It really annoys me when people don't think of the issues of too much cross-breeding.

This little boy has very few alien faces - the other one I considered had masses of them and very pretty rings all the way down his back. It was a really tough choice as both were beautiful but so different even though they were both Pastels. In the end it came down to it being more likely for mine to keep his colouring better as he gets older - once they get to 400g they tend to brown out a bit - but it took ages to make my mind up.

deja_entendu

Rough_Rock
Pandora said:
deja_entendu said:

Thanks, still can't quite believe he's gone. For a Royal he was very active and rarely in one of the hides unlike Milly so I was so used to see him creeping about the tank all day.

I've finished the new vivarium and it looks even better than I hoped - I'll take some photos and post them. I sold the old one on eBay today to a girl who keeps corns, I hope they enjoy it!

What kind of snake are you thinking of? I love my Royals but they can be a total PITA when it comes to eating - they can easily go a year without food which is a bit scary the first time they do it. Corns are nice and easier to keep - they need lower temps, lower humidity and they eat like dustbins. If I was to get another breed I'd like a Chondro (Green Tree Python) - they're stunning, but need a very high tank, near 100% humidity and have 2" long teeth - and aren't friendly like the Royals. Boas are a good choice and not as picky as the Royals when it comes to food, but they can get BIG - ditto the Burmese.

I would love to see pics...and more pics of your snakes too, please!

I'm not exactly sure what kind yet, I have some time to think about it as I'm at my pet capacity for my current apartment and I'll be here for the next 3 years at least. I really need to do some more research too in the meantime. I've worked with Royals, milk snakes, corn snakes, boas, rat snakes, Green Tree Pythons, and an Emerald Tree Boa, but I don't know much about other kinds. Green Tree Pythons are gorgeous (and the ones we had were definitely good eaters!), but I really want something I can handle. The boas were fun, but too big for me I think. Actually one of the boas gave me my first snake bite :lol: but he was young and a bit of a weirdo, he just needed some more handling, which I gave him. Our Royals were a little finicky too...I liked the milk snakes & corn snakes but might want something a little feistier....hmm I have no idea what I want! Any other recommendations?

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I don't have any suggestions, just stopping by to let you know how beautiful your snake is :)) . If you want to share more pics that would be okay by me!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Here's a few new photos...

This is him on top of Milly - you can see the difference in colour between him and the 'wild type' colouration.

pandora python 4.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Here's one of his head showing the golden/green eyes. Milly has black eyes as did Portius.

pandora python 3.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Another of him debating wrecking the new viv...

pandora python 2.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results