shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all pocket watch experts and general sleuths...

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Hi! I recently purchased an antique pocket watch. It's a Waltham, circa 1914. I noticed some very small writing on the inside of the outside case (there's a case that guards the mechanism, and then another case that covers that case). The writing was so small that I could barely read it with a 60x loupe, and first thought it was a cluster of scratches. I managed to take a picture. Does anyone have any thoughts on what these numbers could be?

pocket%20watch%201.jpg

pocket%20watch%202.jpg

Thanks!

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Amc80, Hello, I have no idea what they could mean, I do know that back in the day they would often when servicing a watch put the date it was serviced inside somewhere and I have seen one with a long list of dates engraved inside but these are not dates are they? So I am no help but I did want to say I love old watches and would love to see pics of the outside! More pics please!!!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I have no idea what they are. There are additional engravings on it, also numbers, but they were near the hinge so really hard to take pics of. Here are some more pics. It really needs a cleaning, but it works perfectly!

pocket%20watch%203.jpg

pocket%20watch%204.jpg

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i think it may have something to do with being railroad approved. maybe different numbers for different lines. hope that helps.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
crown1 said:
i think it may have something to do with being railroad approved. maybe different numbers for different lines. hope that helps.

Wow, I never would have thought of that...in about a million years. But I will do some research in that direction. Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results