shape
carat
color
clarity

Realistically what should I expect to get...

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,
Not sure if this is the correct forum but I need some advice before I go.
I have several really old and non used pieces of gold jewelry. I can't see myself recycling the gold and I mainly work with WF and BGD to get all my pieces and I don't think they would have any interest at all in this old gold.
It is primarily 14k yellow gold pieces.
I'm Canadian and there is a place close by to me that buys old gold and provides cash for it. They say they weigh it in front of you and then give you cash right away and a fair price.
But I know nothing about doing this type of thing realistically how can I make sure I"m not taken is there anything I should be looking for or anything I need to know before I go?
Please any advice would be great.
Ideally, I'd like to use any funds I get from selling these pieces towards some other pieces before I get married next year.
Thanks!

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
First of all, are you ok with them melting down your pieces? That's what those places do. If your ok with that, weigh the gold yourself, or at a trusted jeweler. Then calculate the value here....
http://www.dendritics.com/scales/metal-calc.asp

They won't give you the total value of the gold because by law they have to sit on it for 7 days before reselling it. They take a nice risk chunk out of that, and of course profit.

I never accept less then 70% of the value. a lot of places will try for 40-50%. always haggle for what you want, and if they won't give you that price, go somewhere else.

One place I went recently offered me $184 for 4.5 grams of platinum. I called another place and they offered me $90 :roll: :roll:

So it pays to look around!!

reader

Brilliant_Rock
My local jeweler gave me the name and address of his refiner. If its someone that a local bench uses, you stand a good chance of not being ripped off! I did have to take the stones out of all the pieces, however.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results