shape
carat
color
clarity

Lookeee what I got!!!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Holy smokes, I am so excited I can barely believe this is real. DH came across a posting for a ring for sale on one of his forums (which, oddly enough, is a GUN forum and not a jewelery forum!) It was listed as a 1 ct L-M VVS2 Old Mine Cut stone... setting included (which I don't much care for) for a VERY reasonable price. We went to see it ourselves and I was blown away!!!! :o

He had an independent appraisal done from a highly reputable, world renowned appraiser here in Birmingham. The stone has been in his family since 1910 and he didn't have any lab report to go with it... I won't tell you what we payed for it, but I will say that I almost feel like we stole it! I'm so excited to do something with it.... Here are some pics! (I'll try to get more later when the sun is up more)

jmtomc1.JPG

jmtomc2.JPG

jmtomc3.JPG

jmtoec4.JPG

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Few more. In my completely non-professional opinion, it looks a little bit more like an OEC than an OMC, but either way it's freakin gorgeous!!!!!

jmtoec5.JPG

jmtoec6.JPG

ksmyheart

Rough_Rock
yummy yummy! I love the warmer diamonds!

what do you think your going to do with it ? Whatever you do you better post some pics :D

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow very nice indeed, congrats, I know nothing about OMC and OEC, but my Mom has supposedly an OEC and this one does look similar, great find :appl:

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! It's actually my "baby present"... Baby isn't due till May, so I have some time. I was thinking about a pendant, but i'm in love with rings and this stone is screaming for some sort of antique-ish setting to show off the yummy warm color. Suggestions?

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Miss Tuckins, great find! It's so pretty. It may sound weird to other people, finding this diamond on a gun forum but I can identify because people call us every once in a while (from my husband's fishing forum), wanting to sell a diamond because they know I'm so into it. Congrats on the lucky find!

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
nummers!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!!! My vote is for either Van Craeynest or Singlestone for settings for old stones. Oh, and check with Erica Grace, too.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
Beautiful!!! My vote is for either Van Craeynest or Singlestone for settings for old stones. Oh, and check with Erica Grace, too.

Thanks for the suggestions! :wavey:

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! It's gorgeous! I agree with you that it's most likely an OEC, not an OMC. I'm no expert for sure, but my OEC's facet pattern is very similar.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
oh my gosh-beautiful! what a great find!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! Nice hubby! :appl: :appl: :appl:

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
very beautiful!!!! I can't wait to see what you do with it!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wowza, very pretty. Keep us posted regarding what you decide to do with it.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
It's gorgeous and looks so sparkly clear! That's crazy that your DH found it on a completely unrelated forum. Great find! :appl: Can't wait to see what you do with it.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
It's so pretty! I love that hubby is hunting down jewels for you! I would even say it looks like a trans-euro or transitional cut. symmetry looks awesome!!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also think it looks like a transitional cut!

And ditto singlestone and JBEG for the setting! YUMMO!

catwalk82

Shiny_Rock
awesome!! :D

legra

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous! Congrats on the great find. Can't wait to see how it will be set.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!! :love: :love:

Ditto thinking it's a tranny, with the lgfs under the table :sun:

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
It's beautiful...do something in rose gold. I think that would look awesome.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all! I'm going to take it to a few of my favorite jewelery stores around here to see what I could get for the gold... Maybe they will take it as a trade in and put it toward whatever setting I eventually get. I need to keep researching antique settings and see what I do/don't like. I looked at JBEG and there were some fantastic settings there. I really like the solitaire setting with the fleur-de-lis on the gallery!
ETA- got a few more pics yesterday before DH locked it away!

jmtomc1.1.JPG

jmtomc1.2.JPG

jmtomc1.3.JPG

jmtomc1.4.JPG

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond looks fantastic! I'm sure you'll find a perfect setting for it, have you found any contenders yet?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Just out of curiosity... How much would you expect to pay for a stone like this?
1 ct
L-M color
VVS2

I don't think you'd believe me if I told you what we got it for!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
OK, I want to know the name of that forum!

I love that ring. I even like the setting.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Andelain said:
OK, I want to know the name of that forum!

I love that ring. I even like the setting.

Lol... I think it's michigangunowners.org or .com or something... The stone is stunning. The setting isn't exactly my taste, but it's a lot of gold so i'll try to trade it in towards the cost of the new setting. (as soon as I decide what that setting will be!)

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tuckins, It's beautiful!!! Lucky you!! You might take a look at old world diamonds to see how comparable stones are priced. I don't see any listed as VVS2's. Here are some similar-ish ones:http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/inv_details.php?ID=2498&SHAPE=EU&PAGE=22 and http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/inv_details.php?ID=542&SHAPE=EU&PAGE=21 And, then there's this lovely ring from JBEG, an M/VS2: http://jewelsbyericagrace.com/antique_vintage_and_reproduction_rings_page_2

Hmm, after comparing the the old world loose stones to the JBEG ring, seems the JBEG ring is a bargain!! I suspect you paid even less for your ring. Like I said, Lucky Girl!

I'm curious -- did the seller seem to think the setting was original? It doesn't look like a 1910 setting. Are there any markings or inscriptions?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results