shape
carat
color
clarity

Mixing sterling silver and white gold on a pendant

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone know anything about mixing metals in a piece of jewelry? I'm currently having a pendant made in
sterling silver and have the option of making the basket (for a .46 stone) made in SS or in white gold. Should I have
the basket make in white gold because it is stronger? I'm wondering if there is any problem with the strength of the metal where
the SS meets the white gold? I dont want to pay extra for the white gold if the connection where it meets up with the
silver is not going to be strong. Any comments would be appreciated.

ValentinesJewelryDesign

Rough_Rock
Trade
I would have to see the style pendant you're getting but it seems that you're way overanalyzing the strength needed for a pendant. If done right, silver to gold is a good bond. However, for the size stone you're getting in a pendant, I would go with all one metal. Either one would be fine. Again, I would need to see a pic of the pend you're getting but pendants don't receive alot of abuse so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I wish you all the best!

Matt

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI Matt,
Thanks for you help...the pendant is very similar to MakingTheGrade's pendant. It will be on a 26 inch SS chain. Do you think
it will be safe in all SS? I plan on wearing it a lot. I'm pretty sure that MTG kept her's all in silver. Thanks tyty

Attachments

• pendantMTG.bmp
    600.1 KB · Views: 750
If you can afford the WG I would do that... I own a lot of silver jewelry and I am tired of cleaning it. At first it looks very nice and shiny but over time it gets kind of dull... I don't know. Just my opinion.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its only going to be the basket that can be in either white gold or SS. The rest of the pendant will be in SS so I will
have to deal with the cleaning :(( . Its not in my budget to do th whole thing in white gold (another :(( ).

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad you liked my pendant enough to do your own version!

The silver does tarnish fairly easily, but it looks beautiful!

agapitor

Shiny_Rock
I'm getting a ring made by Daniel M and asked the same question. Caren said that the ss should be strong enough for the basket and their concern would be matching the the color of the white gold to the ss. I guess this issue wouldn't apply to the pendant but at least it addresses your concerns about the strength of ss.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it's rhodium plated will that help?

ETA: on the tarnishing I mean

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey guys,
Thanks for the input/feedback everyone. I guess I should update this thread. I had the pendant made in all SS.
The vendor said that if he was making it for his wife that is what he would do. Its very pretty and dainty. I really love
it. I guess I should post some pics?

Thanks for your inspiration MTG...my little stone was just sitting around looking for a home and when I saw your
pendant I knew it was perfect!

tyty

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results