shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for all solitaire pendant owners...!

Hey everyone... I have a question!

Some one of the first pieces that FI gave me was a nice little diamond pendant. It was a .25 RB.. on the coolest chain.. BUT I lost it over a year ago. I've looked.. and looked and looked and can't find it so I'd like to get another one soon.

So, the .25 was a little small for my tastes :wacko: and I started thinking of doing a .40 RB.. but.. I mean to be perfectly honest I really like bigger diamonds.

SOOOO for everyone...

1) How did you decide to pick your pendant size?

2) will you upgrade?

3) Will I really see a difference between a .40 and a .65 in a bezel setting? I mean, I know there is a MM difference but for a pendant, but for something you don't stare at all day maybe it's different for a ring and pendant?

Hope this makes sense. I'm watching The Office while writing this out 8-)

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Hi Swedish-

1. I decided on a 1ct for no reason other than I wanted to hit the 1ct mark. Looking back, I could of gone with a .75 and been just as happy.

2. If I upgrade, it's going to be for color, not size. Would really love a colorless stone.

3. If both the .40 and .65 were bezeled yes, you'd see a difference but it wouldn't be huge. I think I'd do the .60 just to get me past the half carat mark. It's a mind thing for me.

If you go for the .40, make sure the bezel is very thin. You don't want it overpowering the diamond.
I do agree with you about size (and in my case color) being less important for a pendant, because you're not seeing it as much as a ring. that's the reason I haven't upgraded mine yet.

Thanks elle!

I don't have a specific stone in mind yet (however I did find a :love: stone on GOG that I keep coming back to).. I think ideally I'd like to be in the carat range too but not sure when! I am starting to think that the "mind" thing would be the same for me too with size. When I compared MM size between a 5mmish and a 6mmish in pictures I just am not sure how big a difference it will be with a bunch of skin behind it instead of finger coverage :D

ETA do you have a picture of your pendant? I'd love to see it!

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Bean,
I wear a .68 pear-shaped solitaire, prong set. It was the center stone of my engagement ring before we upgraded it. It's an E color, I1. But, the inclusion that condemned it to an I1 rating is toward the upper right side of the pear if you're looking at it face-up and my jeweler put one of the 4 prongs over it so you can't see it anymore! It's a "steely toned" diamond, from Australia. It seems about the right size to me. I probably won't upgrade it. It was great to be able to "recycle" the diamond and make it into a pendant after I changed rings. The funny thing is, it makes a much prettier pendant than a center stone of a ring.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm on both ends of the extreme when it comes to pendants. I like little tiny point-of-light pendants that twinkle and shiver at the hollow of the throat with every breath ... and then I like them BIG.

So, going in order ....

Entirely budget-based. Initially, I had a budget of 1K, so I was hoping to get maybe a J, SI1 or .70 or so. When the budget was upped to 4K (generous gift-giving husband!), I figured I would get my "dream" pendant, something I would never, ever, ever want to upgrade. So I got a 1.3 ct. E, SI1 with strong blue fluorescence. The stone was .30 bigger than anything else in my price range (it was oddly satisfying to go over the 1 1/4 mark - the mind-clean thing, I guess). The pear-experts on the board okayed the stats, and ... voila! I had it bezeled in platinum, and it looks hyooooge to my eye.

2) will you upgrade?
When I bought it, I planned for it to be a forever pendant, never to be upgraded. You know how they say "never say never?" Well, yeah. DSS can hit in the strangest places. I do not, by any means, think of my pendant as small ... but I am cautiously turning over the notion of getting a matching pear one of these days to make them into convertible pendants/earrings, and maybe someday getting an even bigger pendant. :rodent: I wouldn't go the straight upgrade route because the idea of demolishing the beautiful bezel to get it out makes the Baby Chipmunk cry.

3) Will I really see a difference between a .40 and a .65 in a bezel setting? I mean, I know there is a MM difference but for a pendant, but for something you don't stare at all day maybe it's different for a ring and pendant?

I think you'd see the difference, yeah. Pendants are funny, just hanging out on exposed skin ... but if you go to, say, Tiffany's and take a look at their bezeled pieces, the ones over 1/2 a carat have a definite presence.

*Note to self; I have got to do a decent photo shoot, one of these days ....

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol. I went to gemstones!

I'm actually wearing a 2.5ct round almost colorless tourmaline right now (3 prong martini) that's 8.2mm...I think because of my gemstone obsession and being able to get bigger stones for cheaper, I'm ruined for life. Especially for pendants. Blah!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
There's an obvious difference between a 5 and 6mm stone, even on the neck. At least to me. I'd go with the larger :naughty:

Also remember GOG has a fab. upgrade policy. I've been eyeing their AVC and thinking of upgrading my pendant stone (it's a GOG H&A) to one. So even if you go for the smaller now, you can always go bigger later.

Here's 2 pics of mine. I had it set locally in the thinnest bezel I could find.

gogk1.jpg

elles1ctgog.jpg

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
What is your budget? I bought a .54 ct stone, had WF set in a thin bezel and it looked to be a perfect size. It was for my daughter who is on the slim side. I have my own pendant that is a .40 ct stone in a 3 prong setting and I wish I got the bezel to add a little extra size (it was from my original ering). My daughter's stone is a beautifully cut M I1. Since a pendant isn't viewed the same way a ring is I think using lower colors and clarity is a nice way to make your budget stretch to get the largest size you can afford.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Mine is a 1.12 ct rb. I didn't choose the size. My mom upgraded her e-ring, and gave me her original solitaire e-ring. I already have a wedding set from dh, and did not want another rb as a RHR, so I set it in a simple 4- prong pendant. which I wear everyday with any outfit.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I took a few pics of my .70 earring and a loose .53ct for comparison.
.70 is 5.68x5.71, the .53 is 5.25x5.29

Both ideal cut H&A stones (ignore how dirtly they are :nono: ). In one the pics the difference is obvious. In the other, can hardly tell.

compare1.jpg

compare.jpg

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
bean said:

2) will you upgrade?

1. My pendant size kinda picked me! I wanted a pendant and decided to trade in a WF diamond I wasn't wearing. The only diamond that was a close swap in my color and clarity tolerance range was 2 carats. It's kinda big. I would have preferred a 1.5 or 1.75, but it wasn't in the cards. Not a bad problem to have. ::)

2. I love the fact that I can trade the stone in at any time. Right now, I say I won't upgrade, but who knows. I'm fickle.

3. Next to one another, yes.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Like Freke, I'm usually in the colored stones world, so I go for the bigger sizes. I bought a peridot lot that contained 6mm and 5mm stones (and 4mm). I could definitely tell the difference between the 5mm and the 6mm stones (I was making earring studs).

If you're looking for a larger size, have you thought about white zircon (not to be confused with cubic zirconia)? It has great dispersion, and though it's too fragile for a ring, it should do quite well as a pendant. And you can get significantly MORE size for significantly LESS cost.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wear a lot of white tops, so I am a little careful of pendant colour, simply because the contrast would highlight warmish colours.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
I have a 0.30 ct round pendant.
I wanted a 0.50 ct diamond, but I bought a 0.30 ct diamond because I couldn't afford anything larger, but I decided to buy a good quality stone (F color, VVS clarity, very good cut) and put it in a six prongs setting.
I did plan to upgrade,but, after 4/5 years I changed my mind,I don't think I'll ever upgrade because I found out I love that small white light dancing on my neck: I wear it 24/7 and I think it's perfect for everyday wear.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
I have a .68 I2 I color. For me, the price was perfect, and the size means that it can both stand on its own, or look good with drops. I have a few gemstone pears that need set into drops right now....

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I have a .79ct RB in 4 prong/ rabbit ear setting that my DH gave me on our wedding day so I wouldn't upgrade it for sentimental reasons (funny that I won't upgrade the necklace but I have already upgraded my ering diamond last year and this year I plan on getting a whole new set- diamond, ring, and wband- the works).

I personally would go for the larger stone as I think you will see a difference- especially since you are going to be bezeling the diamond.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
1. I wanted a colorless Crafted by Infinity with strong blue fluorescence, and ended up getting a 0.70 ct F VS1 that was in their inventory. I decided to put it into a pendant after my RHR project was halted due to cost. The pendant was supposed to be temporary, but now I'm not so sure. This diamond makes for a stunning pendant. Mine is in a simple 4-prong setting which allows its edge to edge light return to shine. :cheeky:

2. You know, I've been thinking I could get this baby up to a 1 ct stone for very little money by dropping to the L-M color range. Before I make a move, I would have my local Crafted by Infinity dealer bring in a stone so I could make up my mind in person. Just thinking about it, you know. Threads like these are interesting to me as well, because I love hearing the different viewpoints.

3. I would get a 0.65 over a 0.40 if you can swing it. And, I'm surprised at how much I like the Crafted by Infinity diamond in a pendant. It has a different look that I believe Paul Slegers describes as "crispness". I get a lot of compliments on this stone because it really does have presence. And it sits there right below your face, front and center, and becomes an important part of your total look.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
bean said:

2) will you upgrade?

My pendant is a bezeled .757 J VS2 BGD Signature H&A.

1. My pendant stone was mostly a process of elimination based on my budget. Size was important to me, and I knew I wanted a super-ideal, H&A stone. I had a vendor in mind, and when they suggested the stone I ultimately bought, I thought the color and clarity were a good fit, although I would have gone down in clarity if there were a lower-clarity (like an eye-clean SI) stone available. I also knew I wanted a platinum setting, so that was factored in, too.

2. This is a tough question! I don't know if I will upgrade. I would hate to ruin this lovely setting, and I think the size is just right for me. On the other hand, I do love larger stones. I guess at this point, I'm not planning to upgrade, but I wouldn't totally foreclose the possibility in the future.

3. Yes, I think you will see the difference. I tried on some around the sizes you mentioned at Tiffany's when I was trying to get an idea of what I might want, and I could definitely see a difference right away. I think I tried on a .4 and something around a .7 ct (both in bezel settings).

Last comment: For the record, I am very happy I went with a J. I essentially cannot see any tint unless I compare it side-by-side with a CZ (which are generally D-color, I think). In the platinum bezel, it just looks like a little white star.

Ok thank you to everyone that has responded so far!! I really appreciate it.

Tanzigrll- Sounds lovely! Do you have any shot of your pendant? I'd love to see!

Circe- I do think that I will need at least a half carat. I used to have a small tiffany DBTY necklace aqua that was 3 or 4 points and very small and dainty but I always got a ton of compliments on it. I almost got the diamond version and still might as a small piece.

Freke- Have you posted your necklace yet? I think I saw it on etsy.. I love it :love: I do have a few other pieces that I wouldn't mind putting in a necklace too (that are not diamonds).. and that setting is very very pretty!

Elle- thank you for the pictures!!! I think I really need to pick a stone that has an upgrade policy. I like knowing that if I want a bigger stone in 2 years.. or 2 months I can get one and not loose a chunk of money. I don't think I could do an AVC for a pendant- I'd have to put it in a ring so I could stare at it all day :twisted:

swingirl- no budget yet, just starting to think outloud here :) I do love lower colors actually so I think at least an I is doable, but a J or K isn't out of the picture either.

jasonsmom- Did you post a picture of your pendant? I couldn't find it. I'd love to see it!!

Elle- I feel like the difference in the size could almost be the diffence between a 3 prong and a bezel... like if the .53 was in a bezel it might be pretty close in size to the .70 in a 3 prong... does that make sense? Also.. This is why I love PS. Who else has loose half carats sitting around 8-)

starryeyed- LOVE your pendant :) It's such a perfect size on you!!!

AustenNut- I might do a colored stone in the future.. (diamond halo?) but I am worried that it would come across like I was trying to pull off a CS as a diamond... I don't know. I am pretty much 100% sure I'm going to do a diamond first though.

Lady Disdain- That is a good point! I actually wear a lot of dark purple and black.. so I bet the warmer colors will be ok then!

purplesilk- Do you have pictures? I couldn't find any. Please share!

reader- Pictures? I would love to see!

Sarahbear- You bring up a good point about upgrading in the future. Perhaps I should just get the biggest stone possible just incase I get sentimental?

flygrl- I think I have a local store that carries those diamonds too.. I believe they have a generous trade-in as well.. hmmm will have to look into that

kittybean- I love your pendant :) Can you tell me more about your setting and it flipping or not?

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
A picture for you

DSC00012.JPG

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
bean said:
kittybean- I love your pendant :) Can you tell me more about your setting and it flipping or not?
Thanks, bean! The setting is BGD's Barbara setting, which has three swooshy "loops" on the back--one is horizontal and keeps the culet off my skin, and the other two go up at 45-degree angles from the edges of the horizontal loop to the top of the pendant. The chain goes through these latter two, and the whole thing does not flip at all. Ever. It is amazing. It will tilt forward a little sometimes, depending on where it's lying on my neck/chest, but it never tilts forward more than 45 degrees or so, and it'll "correct" itself when I move again. Before I go into any more wordy geometrical explanations, here is a link to my thread about it, which has a bunch of pictures: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-lovely-brian-gavin-bezel-pendant.137274/.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results