shape
carat
color
clarity

platinum question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bogus

Rough_Rock
ok, I am confused I have read on a couple of threads that platinum is softer than gold and maybe not a good idea for setting a diamond in? I hope
I understood that right? I thought diamonds that were in 14kt had platinum
heads so I thought platinum was better to have for lifetime wear. Did I
misundertstand?
thanx

Camellia

Shiny_Rock
Hi
I've been told by a jeweller that platinum cannot be reused unlike gold. Has anyone else heard this?
R

bogus

Rough_Rock
well, actually I was thinking of using an old platinum band to make a new
ring and asked a jewler if he could use my old paltinum and he said he could. I never had the ring made. But it didnt seem to be a problem for him.

bogus

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that explanation. I GET IT now. I too prefer the platinum.
Thanks again.
9.gif
9.gif

Camellia

Shiny_Rock
Steve
Maybe the jeweller was concerned about the alloys. My reason for asking is this. I have a apphire ring that is set in platinum and palladium. It was bought from an estate jeweller so I have no idea of how old it is but I have worn it alot. The setting is open basket work (I think that's how it's described) and I've had it repaired by 2 different jewellers unsuccessfully. It is now sitting in a drawer minus one of the small diamonds surrounding the centre stone. I figure it's probably not worth repairing again so I'll do something else with it. However, I was told that platinum couldn't be reused.

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
sometimes one jeweler really messes it up for the next jeweler to use it or even repair it. Some repairs are just not possible on platinum (near other stones) unless you use a laser. Not many jewelers have access to a laser. Good news is that even if you just use the metal as scrap, plat has more value than gold.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Platinum pieces are very subject to contamination from other metals. With older platinum pieces it is quite common to see repairs done using white gold parts and/or solders. This makes it extremely difficult to reuse the metal directly in a new piece but it is always possible to just recycle it.

Lasers are a relatively new tool in the jewelry business but they are fantasticly useful for working on platinum.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

jesrush

Rough_Rock
Veronica,

Platinum is harder than gold--but scratches easier, developing a brushed "sheen" over time.

Gold is softer than platinum--but is somewhat more scratch resistant, and thereby has more of a "shine."

Either one is a fine choice... just be sure to get as much information about the *alloy* of the metals as possible. For example a whitegold-palladium alloy is far superior to a whitegold-nickel alloy.

-Jason

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 9/7/2004 11:46:22 PM yowahking wrote:

Some repairs are just not possible on platinum (near other stones) unless you use a laser. Not many jewelers have access to a laser. -------------------------

The good news is many jewelers do own laser welders. I just did some research and there are many more in service than you may think. We have 5 in use in our small town!

Also most jewelers can find a repair source that uses a laser welder, they could outsource the repair.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results