shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum w/ G vs H

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kvitanis

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. This is my first post so bare w/me..My boyfriend says we''ll be engaged before December, so we''ve been doing a lot of research on diamonds. Is there a noticable difference with a diamond of G color verses a diamond of H color when set in a platinum setting. The diamond will be between 1.3 and 1.4 carat, with VS2 clarity, and ideal cut.

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
First, there are G's that are closer to F and H's that are closer to I's. Most people can see 2 grades in that range, about 1/3 can see one grade. It is very easy to rest the diamond in a white gold or platinum setting to see for yourself. Also ask to put a tiny dab of hand lotion on the tip of the diamond, good to see a nice stone when it is not so clean. Most diamonds look good when you see them clean and under lights. Also you have great expectations of how nice it will look, if it looks good a little dirty, you will be happy.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
There shouldn't be a noticeable difference.....either would look beautiful.

I'm assuming, of course, that your reference to Ideal cut means AGS0, and I'm also therefore assuming it's AGS or GIA graded. If it's graded by some other lab, then I'd have it appraised first to make sure you're getting a true G or true H.

kvitanis

Rough_Rock
yeah the diamond will more than likely be GIA. I was told by a jeweler that the larger the stone, the more the color will show. My boyfriend is leaning more towards getting an H color to get the larger stone. I'm afraid that its color will show through more with an H, but I don't want to hastle him about what diamond in particular to buy, since this is his decision and expense. Do you think I am just worrying to much about something that won't be that big of a deal in the long run?? help
errrr.gif

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
Welcome to PS,
Here ares some thoughts to consider - what I learned buying my diamond and custom setting..
- Don't rush a purchase, spend plenty of time reading the posts & tutorials on PS. Then visit some of the vendor sites and read their tutorials. Good Old Gold site is A+
- Why not only pay for what you can see and appreciate? Play with the Price Stats link
https://www.pricescope.com/repscope.asp to see what trade offs give you. IMHO many people buy more on specification rather than what adds beauty to the finger.
CUT: Diamond beauty on the hand is mostly about light return, fire and scintilation, which come from the cut.
COLOR: Don't confuse a diamonds rarity with it's beauty. Knowing your color sensitivity is important so look at different colors of well cut stones at your local jeweler and search for "color" in the forum and read the FAQ on color. Not getting hung up on color means to can spend more on size or cut, within your budget

CLARITY: A good eye-clean SI1 looks just as good as a VS2 on your finger but the VS2 probably costs 20% more (more rare, not more beautiful).

CARAT: Our experience was you get more choice and carat for your $ from the vendors on PS

Personally, we decided to buy in the best value color range (I-J) so we could get a larger stone. Our J SI1 A Cut Above from WhiteFlash is white bright and beautiful and looks very nice in it's platinum setting. A great cut allowed us to put a J in plat with confidence.

jesrush

Rough_Rock
While you *might* be able to tell the difference between a 'G' and 'H' if they were side by side and not mounted, it's unlikely you could tell in the real world (i.e. mounted and slightly dirty).

I had trouble picking an 'H' from an 'E' when they were mounted side by side.

This of course, assumes we're talking about stones graded by accurate labs (GIA\AGS mainly).

-jesrush

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results