shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to buy a jam-peg machine.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My husband and I are taking some faceting courses and he wants an inexpensive faceting machine. I am thinking a jam peg would work good to start out with. Buti cant find any.

Any faceters want to share where to buy one?

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Gerald Wycoff is the only that I know of making these in the U.S. Here's his website of inexpensive faceting tools:
http://www.thegemconnection.com He also has his stuff on E-bay called the "CJP Faceting Machine"
Here's a cool video of him using a template faceter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_fmqWBBUdk

There is also someone who was selling a hand powered faceting device called a tes faceting machine that looked kind of cool. Here's a link to a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIaYoFteyRA&feature=player_embedded I think that he has one on E-Bay as well.

If this is something that you may continue I would suggest getting a used name brand machine and mess around with it. The resale value will be higher and the frustration may be lower. Oh, use dark material for your first few stones, it's easier to see the surface with dark materials.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you. I wanted to find so ethic g to start him off with. He has a tendency to change hobbies rather fast.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like fun! Show us a product or two, even if they are not perfect!

desertgem

Rough_Rock
Hi, if you and he are already taking a course someplace, I would strongly second the idea of purchasing a used machine close to the one you are learning on. Usually a course ( such as at a gem and mineral society, etc.) will either be a platform machine or a mast machine. I learned on a mast machine and probably will always be with that type. Having a common type of machine means that answers and tips will be more often coming your way than with a jamb peg machine, and the value of getting help is usually more than a price difference between machines. The major machines ( even a MDR made over 30 years) ago has adjustments to bring to a high degree of accuracy. Today with computer design ( GEMCAD) and the popularity of faceting, I could do a different available design every stone and still not run out :) One of my most used accessory is a Silver colored sharpie for light stones. Makes it so easy to see the matchpoints closing in :)

Jim

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Our first class is Friday. I will see what they are using. The class recommends your own lap to practice on so I will try and find what they have at the school.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Since you are taking classes, Hugger a Jam Peg would be the worst thing to get. Would be a waste of money and time plus will just frustrate you and hubby so your chances of not liking cutting will be greatly increased. My first machine cost $700..came with everything including laps. Take the classes...see if you like them...then decide on a machine. Good luck and happy cutting!
oh yea..do make sure..to get "Gram Faceting" by Jeff Graham(for beginners)..trust me on that one

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks everyone! We are excited to start. I guess after the countless hours of gem hunting with me, he is finally crossing over to the dark side! :twisted:

desertgem

Rough_Rock
The late Jeff Graham book is the best beginner's guide! I agree with that. Eventually you will find laps are like toothbrushes, you never want to share them, as it can lead to scratch trouble. I wish there had been a class when I started, as I am sure I would have had a smoother learning curve :) But there is always the feeling from finishing a stone . Here is one. Namanga Garnet.
Jim

namanga1.jpg

namanga3.jpg

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
The Graves Mark IV machines are not overly expensive and are easy to understand. I have a Graves Mark 5XL and find it relatively easy to use (all issues I've experienced are likely the result of operator error....) and highly recommmend the darkside lap for polishing. Jeff Graham's books and designs are great. Barry Bridgestock's directions in his From Rough to Finished Gem article are also straightforward and easy to follow.

I really wish I had taken a few classes before starting as it would have been much easier to learn a few things (dopping, transferring, and cheating, particularly) by watching someone experienced rather than trying to follow written directions. Good luck and have fun!

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
A Jam Peg won't be much help in learning to facet with a standard machine.

Hand faceting is another option. Mountain Gems in Burnaby BC makes a hand faceting kit for under $300. There's no motor - you literally move the handpiece over a charged lap - but you do learn how to set angles, cut and polish. Then you buy a real machine and give the hand faceter to your local lapidary club :)

Cheers,

Lisa
www.lisaelser.com

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
In the US and Canada, classes you take are going to be about meet point faceting. While a Jamp peg machine will sort of be meet point, it will be different than your class. Take the class first before buying. You may find that you want something else, or that you may not like faceting all that much.

New vs Used... A new Graves Mark IV is just over 1100. Remember that if you consider an older used machine. The Graves will be aligned when you get it and a used machine may require a tuneup. (I recommend the Facetron or Graves Mk V - I have a Mk V - there is a new Omni coming out that will be in this grouping).

If you do want the Jeff Graham book, Silver Supplies carries it (google silver supplies jeff graham).

My observation to non-faceters who say, "I don't have the patience to do that." My response is, I used to do bonsai and this is instant gratification. :lol:

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
RockHugger, I'm really enjoying your progress through classes and now learning more about faceting.

Please do keep sharing if you don't mind. I'm just starting down the colored stones courses and am going to learn how to do a cabachon from a local GG/lapidary friend who's teaching me about gemstones.

Sooo, I am a bit nosy about all of it, and a bit intimidated about the faceting or cabbing part, but looking forward to the learning process, I guess!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results