shape
carat
color
clarity

SHOCK!!!!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Is Tan back or involved in the operations at all yet? I am still receiving no response to my emails. I have to wonder at that size if it isnt yag or ggg.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid said:
Is Tan back or involved in the operations at all yet? I am still receiving no response to my emails. I have to wonder at that size if it isnt yag or ggg.

Well hopefully, whomever purchases it will get the documentation to back up that it's an authentic tsavorite. I think Tan's reputation would be tarnished forever if that turned out to be YAG. I wonder if there was news about a huge crystal recently discovered in Tanzania???? If it is truly ggg, then he's got some amazing sources.

I truly think Tan is bedridden for now, and his associates are taking over operations for him, but that doesn't mean he's no longer involved.

Candice

Shiny_Rock
this may be a dumb Q but whats yag and ggg? thx!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
What is ggg? I have no idea what the prices are like for a stone that large ( and clear) if indeed it is natural. Anyone know?

I've never bought from him but doesn't he have a good rep around here?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
there are no dumb questions! They are two types of synthetic garnet, Yttrium Aluminum Garnet and Gadolinium Gallium Garnet, named for the rare earth elements used in making them.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
T_L Im sorry that I cant buy it and get the cert to find out! If I could I would certainly have it re-cut, I would rather a liver or spleen shape than a heart! Heck even a goiter shape might be better!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
:shock: :shock: :shock:

That's amazing!

GGG could also be interpreted Green Grossular Garnet.

A trilliant cut, I think, would be the easiest for the recut with minimal weight loss.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid said:
there are no dumb questions! They are two types of synthetic garnet, Yttrium Aluminum Garnet and Gadolinium Gallium Garnet, named for the rare earth elements used in making them.

ooops, I thought ggg stood for green grossular garnet. Sorry. :oops:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
innerkitten said:
What is ggg? I have no idea what the prices are like for a stone that large ( and clear) if indeed it is natural. Anyone know?

I've never bought from him but doesn't he have a good rep around here?

Yes, he does.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
So true Davi. I'd heard of YAG but never heard of GGG before. I wonder how it compares.

desertgem

Rough_Rock
Here is a site to see the different synthetic material for gemstones
http://www.morioncompany.com/Products_1.htm

They is also SGG ( Samarium Gadolinium Garnet ) on that site ( Flux Minerals) which comes appearing as crystals in all colors. Very difficult to separate from natural spinel. My favorite is the Red Beryl ( Hydrothermal Beryls) :) Beautiful , yet scary if you don't know how to distinguish between natural and these. Not intending to hijack thread.

Jim

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is anybody pooling some money together so we can pass the stone around to a different person each week? :tongue:

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono said:
Is anybody pooling some money together so we can pass the stone around to a different person each week? :tongue:

That comes out to 4273.70 USD for one weeks "rental" :o

Put me down for 3 hours

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks like a lime flavored j-ello® mold

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono said:

I thought you had a rich Saudi bf to buy it for you. ;))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
He said that this tsavorite doesn't go well with my new pink diamond ring. He has good taste. :devil: :bigsmile:

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
VapidLapid said:
... I have to wonder at that size if it isnt yag or ggg.

One hopes the vendor took more care in identifying the gemstone than he did in measuring it. The dimensions for the stone are listed as "21 x 18.8 x 3.4 mm." which is surely wrong.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That's one shallow stone!lol.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
morecarats said:
VapidLapid said:
... I have to wonder at that size if it isnt yag or ggg.

One hopes the vendor took more care in identifying the gemstone than he did in measuring it. The dimensions for the stone are listed as "21 x 18.8 x 3.4 mm." which is surely wrong.

That's probably a typo, I would imagine it's 13.4mm not, 3.4mm. Visually, there's no way it is 3.4 mm deep. Since Tan is gone, some of the listings have errors. BTW, speaking of Tan, he told me he is still recouping in the hospital. I hope he gets better soon.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I saw those measurements too, obviously a typo as T_L says. The crown to girdle alone is likely more than that. It looks to be quite a deep stone really maybe as deep as its short face up dimension. I didnt mean to cast such aspersions on its authenticity. I was under the impression that tsavs are rarely over 3 carats cut and assumed something this large would only fall into the hands of a Big house or high end retailer like Pala or r.Wise. I started looking around and saw richard has one tsav on his site coming in at 1.41 carat. Then I saw the multicolor and a richard hughes article on tsav that said the largest was 232carats or something like that. So why shouldnt something like this come to Tan? He cuts a lot of inventory and moves it quickly, the rough for things like this should be available to him if he wants it. Speaking of the rough, I'd like to have seen pictures of this one before and after.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid said:
I saw those measurements too, obviously a typo as T_L says. The crown to girdle alone is likely more than that. It looks to be quite a deep stone really maybe as deep as its short face up dimension. I didnt mean to cast such aspersions on its authenticity. I was under the impression that tsavs are rarely over 3 carats cut and assumed something this large would only fall into the hands of a Big house or high end retailer like Pala or r.Wise. I started looking around and saw richard has one tsav on his site coming in at 1.41 carat. Then I saw the multicolor and a richard hughes article on tsave that said the largest was 232carats or something like that. So why shouldnt something line this come to Tan? He cuts a lot of inventory and moves it quickly, the rough for things like this should be available to him if he wants it. Speaking of the rough, I's like to have seen pictures of this one before and after.

People should always question authenticity from any vendor when you see something unusual like that. The nice thing is that you can send it to one of the major gem labs, like GIA or GRS, through Tan, and I'm sure an RI would indicate it's tsavorite. I don't think the RI for grossular garnet is the same as YAG or the GGG you mentioned (but don't quote me on that).

BTW, big name retail vendors (I'm not naming names) have to buy from somewhere to charge the huge markups they do, and so I wouldn't be surprised if they even bought from Tan, or people like him. The less middlemen, the more you make in profit. The fact that he has a world class stone such as this gives him a lot of credence. Everyone has to have a source, even Mr. Bigname Retailer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results