shape
carat
color
clarity

Talk to me about baby winter wear

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I have no idea what to buy Micah for the winter. One, he keeps outgrowing everything, and two - what do babies wear when it isn't snowing or something? My supervisor at work told me to just buy him a snowsuit?

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I was just thinking about this exact thing this morning. It has hit fall here, which in Texas means it could drop into the 50's one day and be right back in the 80's the next.

I bought a couple jackets, long sleeve shirts and onesies, some knitted hats, and extra socks. Other than that, I don't really know what else. If there is anything else?

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I'm from a bit warmer climate (AZ), so I didn't have to get too into the winter wear. Last year K was just under a year for most of winter, and he wore long sleeve shirts, pants, and either socks or the leather Robeez type slipper shoes. I had several zip-up hoodies and a heavier jacket for going outside.

I have no idea how you ladies manage with babies in freezing weather!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Overheating babies is much more dangerous than them being a bit cold, so I do layers with Daisy.

Our house is pretty warm so I put a pair of tights and a onesie as the bottom layer, then trousers/overalls and a cotton top. Over that she wears a cardigan - I go for pure wool, bamboo or fleece rather than acrylic or cotton as it's much warmer. Wool is harder to find and harder to wash (I put mine in the washing machine on a cold wash and use Woolite and they come out beautifully) but worth it - get those Grannies knitting! :naughty:

Before she got mobile I used a lot of trousers with feet, but tights are the best I have found. Even if I'd had a boy I would have put them in tights as they can't take them off!

If we go out then I normally just add a hat - I have a cocoon thing on the pram that is fleece lined and filled like a duvet plus being shower-proof. It zips up pretty far and only her shoulders are sticking out at the front. On the whole she doesn't like coats as well as she can't move properly and gets too hot so if it's really cold I just wrap one of the bamboo blankets round the top as it's easy to take on and off.

Last year I had two snowsuits - one really cute eskimo baby one that I loved and is sadly outgrown which could either have seperate legs or poppered together to be a baby sleep-sack type thing; and another white, fake-fur fluffy thing that she hated.

Gloves, hats and hoods are a disaster with Daisy as she just takes them off so I just have them in my pocket for when I get ticked off at the bus-stop.

In the car I just tuck a blanket round her.

At night she just has the same pj's all year round - she sleeps with us but insists on being on top of the duvet even when DH and I are shivering under ours. At the moment we have separate duvets so it would be easy for her to get under either if she wished but she never has... strange child...

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I live in the desert, so it's impossible to tell if it will be a bad winter or not. I remember wearing a light jacket all winter once, but there have been times when we had 4 feet of snow so...I'm not sure what to get lol.

I think I will invest in a pair of lined ski pants and jacket to put on top of his layers, and lots of long sleeved onesies and shirts with pants and thick socks....I guess? Haha this is sort of hard to do!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Monkeypie, I don't have a baby, but in Chicago it gets mighty cold. I see a lot of sheepskin "baby sacks" (for lack of a better word) for kiddies in strollers. From personal experience, sheepskin is a life saver in the bitter Chicago cold. It's really warm, without being too hot, and wicks. I've often pondered if I can get a adult sized sack and have someone push me around. ::)

My guess would be to ditto what Pandora said, layering is key. Good luck.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
thritto on the layering. we are really mild here in CA though but that is what we do.

BabySteals had some sort of plush snowsuit on the other day that a lot of cold-weather moms were swearing by.

There's the BundleMe for the strollers too.

right now we just have pants, socks, and long sleeve shirts and 2-3 zip up cardigan/sweaters for J. someone gave us a coat that is cute and fur lined but it might be too small for him by now.

oh and greg's mom who lives in snow-area sent us a cute plush zip up snowsuit with bear ears on it. it is so cute but he will never wear it!

when does overheating them become less hazardous? when they can take their own layers off or say they are hot?

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
as a first time mama, I was pondering this as well.

I just bought a pair of circo tights from target - says fits 0-9 months - tried them on Nora and they are huge. absolutely will not work. any moms to peanut girls have a suggestion on better fitting tights?

all these layers must make changing diapers more of a task

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
lovelylulu said:
as a first time mama, I was pondering this as well.

I just bought a pair of circo tights from target - says fits 0-9 months - tried them on Nora and they are huge. absolutely will not work. any moms to peanut girls have a suggestion on better fitting tights?

all these layers must make changing diapers more of a task

lulu, what about babylegs? They make life much easier for diaper changes and they're cute and warm!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Daisy's tiny and I got most of hers from a woman on eBay - there's a much better selection there than in the shops, I got age 3 months that I've even see on sale in a b&m.

I've never really found diaper changing much of a chore so layers didn't bother me too much.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ditto curly's suggestion of BabyLegs. N would look soo cute in them. J has 3 pairs and he's a boy...hehe...the girls I have seen normally have like 20 pairs! plus easy for diaper changes. and you can layer them even over tights and leggings.

babysteals often has babylegs for 1/2 off.. keep an eye out!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
You can also find babylegs by a couple sellers on etsy for $8 a pair.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results