shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone bored, and willing to help a CS newbie?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I'm looking to put together a CS right hand ring. I've wanted a vibrant purple stone in a white gold setting for a while now, but random things (sick cats, etc.) keep eating away at my "play money"!

So instead of waiting indefinitely, I'd like to see if there's a realistic way of putting something together without breaking the bank. I'm not concerned about rarity. I just would like something pretty, that's durable since I'll be wearing it as a RHR on a fairly consistent basis.

Soooo, any suggestions for 1. type of stone that fits into this category (I was thinking possibly a purple/violet spinel?) and 2. a good vendor? I've been cruising ebay but honestly I know I'll get ripped off/disappointed if I go purchasing things without consulting you guys first! :rolleyes:

Thanks!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
What is your budget that you would like to work with?

Ameythest or a heated purple sapphire would probably be your best bet.

A

Anonymous

I think that I'm going to have to do this a little at a time since I only have about $150 to work with right now. I'd be happy to just get the stone portion done first, then get a setting when I feel comfortable. I'm not used to spending money on things that aren't practical, so this will help me feel a bit less guilty, hopefully!

I had thought about Amethyst, but I thought it was a bit too fragile for rings, no?

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Gary Braun at www.finewater.com can probably cut you a nice sized amethyst in a cut you like (maybe a calibrated round!?) for your budget, then you can get the setting later, maybe? Look at the "yin-yang amethyst" thread for an example of what I think he may still have some rough for.

Laura

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like that princess cut purple spinel from Gemrite :love:

A

Anonymous

Sarahbear621 said:
This is probably larger then what you want but I like the color and it is under budget at $105
http://www.ajsgem.com/quartz/amethyst/amethyst-5.37-carats.html

How do you feel about a trillion cut? I love Barry's work- 2.34Ct $110
http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=3&idproduct=3066

Sarah that's a really pretty one from ajsgem.com. I think I'll look around to see what settings will run. :love:

The ebay one isn't bad either, especially at that price! I think I'll keep an eye on it. Hey, I can always pass it down to my daughter later. :wink2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results