shape
carat
color
clarity

Difference between Rodium and Nickel plating

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sheffield Warrior

Rough_Rock
I am buying a necklace for my girlfriend, therefore would like to know what is the difference between Rodium and Nickel plating?

Any price difference? Is it true that there are many people allergy to Nickel compared to Rodium plating?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nickel is an allergen. Rhodium is not. That alone is a great reason not to use nickel plating. I don't know of any nickel plated jewelry, but I could be uninformed about some special item.

I don't thick Nickel is used as a plating material for any precious metal jewelry.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sheffield Warrior,

The pricing should be the same. Nickle is used on some items because rhodium will not chemically bond with certain base materials, especially silver . If you item is made of gold, white gold, or platinum, get the rhodium. If it's silver, you will need to get nickle although you can then plate other materials on top of that. Jewelery that is made of other metals, ie. 'costume' jewelery, often has been plated with many different layers including copper and zinc as a way of gettting around this problem. This is the reason that it's so difficult to get some of these items repaired properly.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results