shape
carat
color
clarity

6months Check up.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Diamorton

Rough_Rock
read.gif

Hi. I am still very new here in this Forum....So forgive me if somebody has asked this question before. I was reading some articles from DiamondGuy( I think that is the nickname for this guy) about pros and cons of buying on Internet. I personally am comfortable(I think.....
6.gif
) purchasing on the internet since it seems like so many people from this forum have purchased from the vendor here. So that is what I am thinking to do, however one of the cons that DiamondGuy mentioned in that article kind is stuck in my mind and I was wondering what you all think and what you all do for this 6month check up thing.(for the prong tightning and etc...local jeweler usually offeres the check up semi-annually and if diamond get chipped or diamond has been lost, they will replace your diamond as long as we bring the diamond every 6months or something like that.) Is it really important to do?? Is it almost impossible for those incident to happen to the diamond ring once it has been set with the setting? Resizing your ring, do you usually take it to some custom jeweler? How do you clean your diamond(Jewelry cleaner?)? I believe now that local mall jeweler''s price is overpriced, I do like the convenience of the mall jewelers, however I would like to spend the same amount of money to get the better quality, so I am more interested in buying with the vendor here. I will greatly appreciate your suggestion, feedback, opinion. Thank you very very much in advance!
wavey.gif

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
I'm getting a loose diamond via the Internet set at a local jeweler on Friday. While they won't guarantee the stone (which I understand), they made it quite clear that we can stop in any time for them to inspect the mounting. I think if you look around, you will find someone that will give you at least part of what you talk about in your post (inspections, cleanings, etc.) for the simple fact, they'd love your business and need you to get into the store to buy their wears!

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, but if you realize it is a gimmic, don't you think it can still be useful?

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade

The 6 month checkup gimmick is just a way of getting you to return to the store. Think about it....

Cindy Konney, GG, RJ, CGA
New England Gem Lab, ICGA, AGS-Independent Appraiser

Tell that to someone who has lost a diamond.

Is an every 3 or 4 month oil change a gimmick ?

Maybe, but I still do it.

You can argue about the frequency but you cannot argue the validity of the following premise.

Cars need maintainance and so do rings.

I also recommend having diamond rings examined at least twice per year.

I think of it as common sense rather than a gimmick.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I have mine checked every year...but I am at my jeweler's all the time so what's the difference?
2.gif

Note--I have a local jeweler I use for my diamonds. But I do think once a year is fine for checking prongs.

jesrush

Rough_Rock
Yes it needs to be checked and yes 6 months is a little excessive (esp. if you have it insured--like you should).

Anyway Diamorton, you'll just need to strike up a relationship with a local jeweler and they'll do it for cheap or free. Imagine that you bought at a brick&mortar ok? Then ten years from now you move to california--suddenly you're in the same bag: your ring needs a checkup and you have no jeweler. In the end you'll just have to get into a habit of finding a reputable jeweler in your area (whereever you live), introducing yourself, and establishing a relationship.

-J

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamorton,

The 6 month checkup requirement relates to an insurance component of the deal.

Your purchase always contains more than just the diamond itself. There is the ‘experience’ of the store, there is convenient packaging, there may be financing, there may be displays that are easy to buy from, etc. All of these things combine to form a package deal that is intended to attract you as a customer and not every dealer will put together the same package. Some will offer a rather bare bones approach that allows cheaper prices and others will add on lots of things that you may like and have higher prices. It’s the reason that Costco and Tiffany’s can exist in the same world and they both seem to get customers.

Part of deciding if you like a particular deal is deciding if you like what is being offered in your bundle of benefits and how you might otherwise get those benefits. In the case of insurance, it’s pretty straightforward. This is a very competitive business. Most major insurance companies are involved and you can buy a policy for 1-2%/year that will cover chipped and lost stones as well as many other problems that you might face, many of which are not covered by the jewelers program. Most people choose to get one of these policies anyway so you are effectively buying double coverage if you pay the jeweler extra for the same coverage. The only real difference (for you) is your deductible.

The ongoing maintenance of your ring is important and you should have it checked periodically. Every 6 months is a decent schedule. Every now and then there will be necessary repairs. Life is a whole lot easier if you establish a relationship with a local jeweler for this kind of work. Most are happy to do it and this is a fairly profitable area for the jewelers. Everybody wins. This doesn’t need to be a function of where you bought the ring any more than your car maintenance needs to be done at the dealership where you bought it.

I should mention that staying on top of your maintenance is usually a requirement of the insurance companies as well as the jewelers. They are just less specific about when and where you do it.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Once or twice a year for a cleaning and inspection is a good idea.
A lot of the local places here do the basics for free no matter where you bought the ring.
The best thing you can do is by a loupe or even a cheap 5x magnifier and inspect it yourself often.

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
I guess I didn't explain myself enough. Some stores actually have you bring in their form so you have to have it signed off on (mostly mall locations). If you read the fine print, they are not normally responsible for loss. This is just a way of getting you back in the store. You should be covered under your own insurance. I agree to have to mountings checked every 6 months or so. Have it cleaned more often if you can. Have a good appraisal and proper coverage is the best bet! Cindy

Diamorton

Rough_Rock
Thank you Everybody! Last night I meant to write a post to say
thank you to everyone, but somehow I could not post my message at all.
So sorry for the delay!! I really appreciate your feedback, opinion. I still think that check up is important, too. But all your feedback made me feel more comfortable with purchasing something online...and find a reputable local jeweler for check up even with some fee(but mostlikely they would not charge??). Or like Wonka27 is doing, buy diamond online, and do the setting with the local jeweler. I am glad that I asked this question here on PS!!
I am sure you will see me again asking some basic question again, but your feedback and opinion will be always appreciated!!

Thank you again everyone!
wavey.gif

OmegaShawn

Rough_Rock
What is the big schock that jewelers sell the warranties? If the jewelry is inspected every six months, the repairs are free. Are you suggesting that a jeweler give away repairs?

Also, about the six month thing being a "gimmick" to bring people into the stores is a secondary merchant benefeit. So far no one has mentioned the biggest reason for the checkup, since it keeps the warranty valid. Its like car insurance, those who pay and don't crash help pay for those who do crash. Lots of people will buy a warranty on a diamond, never have it checked, and three or four years later, lose the stone and want a free one. Of course, the jeweler says "nope" for many reasons.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
The store that is setting my stone IS guaranteeing my stone against loss if I get it inspected their every 6 months.. even though the diamond was not from them . I understand that this is not every stores policy, but I think its something to look for in a jeweler!
Melissa

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results