shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it going to be tacky???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DazzleVT

Rough_Rock
Was wondering everyone’s thoughts on mixing different metals...

Me and my boyfriend have been looking at white gold and platinum settings for an e-ring. He prefers those metals (everything he has given me is white gold), where as I like it all (yellow, white, plat, whatever). I have been leaning towards platinum settings, but just have one concern.

I have several rings I like to wear on a regular basis that are yellow gold. Most of my *finer* jewelry is also yellow gold and the majority of any family jewelry that would be handed down to me is yellow as well.

Other than a fabulous reason to run out and buy all new white gold and platinum jewelry, do I have a real reason to be concerned? Do you think having a plat e-ring on one hand and a yellow gold ring on the other is tacky? Will it be okay to mix everything up (earrings, necklaces, rings)?

The last thing I will say, is I have looked at settings that have both yellow and white gold, and I am personally not a fan (except for maybe the Vatche x-prong with yellow band and plat head).

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
There was another thread about this less than a week ago. Its a matter of personal opinion, but I don't think it is tacky. There is so much jewelery now that is two tone, it has to be acceptable to mix now.
Melissa

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/1/2004 4:02:57 PM crankydave wrote:

I'm going to make some guesses here...

I'll bet you have more than 1 pair of shoes and they're different colors. (*You* meaning Melissa....for the rest of these examples.)

I'll bet your wardrobe includes clothing of different colors.

How about your cosmetics? Furnishings?

How about your jewelry?

Dave----------------

I'm going to make a few more guesses:
2.gif

I'll bet you don't wear one blue shoe and one black shoe at the same time.

I'll bet you don't wear a pink shirt with a red pair of slacks.

I'll bet you don't wear clashing cosmetic colors at the same time. I'd also bet that if your living room is done in predominantly soft sage green, you probably don't have a bright orange sofa in the same room.

My tongue-in-cheek response is meant to expand on Dave's thought. While it's certainly ok to own many different varieties of things, it doesn't mean that wearing them all at the same time looks good.

One of the major considerations of an e-ring: It's EVERY DAY wear. It's not as though you wear your e-ring for 3 days and then wear another ring in its place. I think that's what Dazzle is getting at.

Whether you should wear white/yellow metals together really depends on *your* personal preference, Dazzle. Some people wear a lot of 2-tone jewelry, so it looks fine. For me, ALL my other jewelry is yellow, and I personally think it looks funny to wear only one piece of white metal jewelry when everything else is yellow. Therefore, it was important for me to have my e/ring and w/ring be yellow, too. I had the heads/prongs done in platinum, but the shank is yellow.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
wait a sec!!!
Are you saying that shirts come in colors other than black?
pants other than blue?

hmmmm well with 2 exceptions not in my house. And thats black pants and a blue shirt :}

DazzleVT

Rough_Rock
aljdewey... have you been to my house before? How did you know my living room was sage green...

Thanks for your thoughts and come back! Time for a little jewelry experimenting i guess... and finding a bright orange sofa!
naughty.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/1/2004 4:58:02 PM strmrdr wrote:

wait a sec!!!
Are you saying that shirts come in colors other than black?
pants other than blue?

hmmmm well with 2 exceptions not in my house. And thats black pants and a blue shirt :}
----------------

Hah! I'm shocked as well!
9.gif
Black is just a back drop for my jewelry!

That said, I mix my metaphors all the time. My diamond wedding band is 18k. My annivesary e-ring is in platinum. Most of my diamond rings are set in yellow gold. Though, save my diamond bracelet, all of my bracelets, necklaces & E.R. tend to be silver. Looks best w/ my coloring.

Edited to add: most of my friends mix & match.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I'm one of those mix-and-matchers. I have a few pieces of 2-tone (my watch and a couple of bracelets), and those tie the rest of my jewelry wardrobe together whether it be white or yellow metal. I think more about each jewelry item and how it looks with the particular outfit I'm wearing.

As a side note, about 75 percent of my wardrobe consists of different styled white shirts.
9.gif
loopy.gif
wacko.gif

DiamondLil

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results