shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you smooch your kid on the lips?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jen, I think your circumstance is valid. You know you have active decay and have been warned by a professional. I know you have mentioned your dental issues before so I do understand where you are coming from.

Some have mentioned blowing on your child's food also can spread decay, what about talking too close to their face? I just don't get where it ends.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori E-ring said:
Jen, I think your circumstance is valid. You know you have active decay and have been warned by a professional. I know you have mentioned your dental issues before so I do understand where you are coming from.

Some have mentioned blowing on your child's food also can spread decay, what about talking too close to their face? I just don't get where it ends.

Or spitting on your kid when you're angry?

(Did I just say that out loud?) :tongue:

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal said:
Tacori E-ring said:

Or spitting on your kid when you're angry?

(Did I just say that out loud?) :tongue:

How did you know TGal :devil:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My family is big on kissing hello and goodbye, but we always do the cheek-kiss, one, two, three. The idea of parents kissing kids on the mouth strikes me as ... a little creepy. Like Steal, not point-and-stare creepy, but ... not something that would ever occur to me.

The herpes thing is another concern, too. I got my first cold sore in college, and I had NO clue what it was. I thought it was a really oddly placed zit, and kept trying to treat it with iodine. Finally some kindly professor clued me in and recommended lysine.

What I remember best is how utterly horrified I was. I had only had one boyfriend! He didn't have cold sores! Where had it come from?

Then I did some research and found out that with a lot of people, the infection first manifests as a slew of tiny little painful blisters in infancy or early childhood, and then lies dormant until its triggered by something in adulthood - stress, sun, whatever. And, you know something, I remember that? I remember being a little baby, and my whole mouth hurting, and my mom trying to sooth me with chamomile and ice. Since neither of my parents get cold sores ... thanks, random irresponsible adult who passed that on! You're a sweetheart.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Circe, you have my sympathy! I get cold sores occasionally too, passed on from my mother. They are awful, disproportionately unpleasant. Urgh. Another thing I have to try to avoid passing to A, along with my dreadful teeth. ;(

Tacori, I think it ends as most parenting issues end - at each parent's own individual comfort level. We can only do our best and we all come into parenting with our existing ideas, ideals and hang ups. We all draw our own line. Oh, and now I'm paranoid that I shouldn't kiss DH either. He had to have a filling yesterday. Did I do that?! OMG!

I need to relax!

Jen

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
i don't kiss on the mouth often--but iam not sure why i don't. i kiss the cheek, forehead, hands etc. constantly
i think it might be the slobber thing, b/c the location its self doesn't gross me out and i don't mind if other ppl do it.
And like others have said, i'll take whatever kisses my kids hand out. If Co goes in for a kiss on the lips (which is usually where he aims) I'll gladly take it!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jennifer W said:
Circe, you have my sympathy! I get cold sores occasionally too, passed on from my mother. They are awful, disproportionately unpleasant. Urgh. Another thing I have to try to avoid passing to A, along with my dreadful teeth. ;(

Tacori, I think it ends as most parenting issues end - at each parent's own individual comfort level. We can only do our best and we all come into parenting with our existing ideas, ideals and hang ups. We all draw our own line. Oh, and now I'm paranoid that I shouldn't kiss DH either. He had to have a filling yesterday. Did I do that?! OMG!

I need to relax!

Jen

Jen, thanks. It's actually not that bad now: I've only had one in, like, the last 7 years, ever since another friend told me what she did. She got a prescription for Valtrex, which is usually used for the, er, southern cousin of the cold sore, and she'd take one whenever she felt an outbreak coming on. Voila! The only time I've had an issue was when the supply in my purse ran out during a conference. (See also, good times.)

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Cice, southern cousin! OMG. I just spit coffee over my laptop (now watch it decay...) :bigsmile:
Thanks for the tip!

Jen

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Would you all really be squicked out as I kiss my boys (they are two) on the mouth?

I don't have a problem if you're squicked out (it's not going to stop me) but I never realized people had issues with it. You'd think I would as I didn't come from a family of kissers...

Huh. Go figure!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619 said:
Dreamer_D said:
Tacori E-ring said:
We do. I never really thought about it before. I remembering my mom kissing me on the lips and once I got to 3rd or 4th grade (maybe? Who can remember) it just transitioned to the cheek. I don't plan on kissing her on the lips forever but she is a baby (to me). About tooth decay, I have so many other problems, I choose not to worry about that!

Amen! HA!

Yeah, but I'd feel awful if my kid got cavities from me!

But they will most likey get them anyways, and you will never know if it was from you 8) You will mess up your kids in much worse ways anyhoodle... not you, specifically, but the general parent YOU :tongue: . For example, I routinely do not monitor my son closely and he falls on his head. I also blessed him with my tendency for a double chin :nono: Siggghhhh I am choosing to not feel bad about it all.

Thats my thinking anyways, not trying to tell you what to think!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe said:
Jennifer W said:

Jen, thanks. It's actually not that bad now: I've only had one in, like, the last 7 years, ever since another friend told me what she did. She got a prescription for Valtrex, which is usually used for the, er, southern cousin of the cold sore, and she'd take one whenever she felt an outbreak coming on. Voila! The only time I've had an issue was when the supply in my purse ran out during a conference. (See also, good times.)

Ha... I get them on my eye lids! No idea where that came from, maybe my mom kissed me on the eyes to avoid my lips :cheeky: . Only about once every 4 years, thank goodness, and the Valtrex does work wonders.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
...random but i thought someone said on the prev page said that by blowing on your child's FOOT you can give them tooth decay. i was traveling so didn't read again til today and realized it was FOOD.

so for 2 days i was thinking FOOT. and wondering HOW that worked?!?

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
DD is a big lip smoocher. She always kisses us on the mouth. It's no biggie. I don't have any memories of doing this as a child, so we likely didn't do it in our family, but no matter - I would never ever reject any kind of kiss from her, lol, soon enough she'll be squirming away from me when I try to plant some love on her, so in the meantime I will bask in the glory of my little petrie dish kisses.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara said:
...random but i thought someone said on the prev page said that by blowing on your child's FOOT you can give them tooth decay. i was traveling so didn't read again til today and realized it was FOOD.

so for 2 days i was thinking FOOT. and wondering HOW that worked?!?

Mara is S-M-R-T!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
SMRT????

Just thought I'd mention that although we're lip kissers, I was rarely kissed as a child (and only on the cheek or forehead) My family is really not into physical affection. My mom tried raising her kids as huggers/kissers but was reprimanded by the rest of the family that "boys shake hands!" when my brother was about a year old. :nono: Even to this day, I think I've only hugged my sibs during catastrophic events or weddings and births. I want my kids to enjoy physical affection and feel comfortable with it.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I come from a not very touchy-feely family and never thought I'd be one of those "mouth kissers," but Claire is just so cute and sweet and I can't help it! I just want to give her little smooches! Obviously this will end by an appropriate age but with a baby, I think it's sweet.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
somethingshiny said:

Simpson's reference... Homer danced around saying "I am so smart S-M-R-T!" Hmmm.... now my comment sounds mean. It was not meant that way Mara! :tongue: You know I luvs ya!

natalina

Brilliant_Rock
DH and I both kiss Ellie on the lips. I guess we fall into the camp of "take any lovin' we can get from the little sweetie while we can." I think the sexualization comment is ridiculous and I agree with whomever said it makes you wonder about the mentality of the person that would think it is sexual to kiss a baby on the lips. WHY would your mind even go there??? As for those of you that have said it's just not the way you were raised, totally understandable. We have just always been a kissy family. For me, it's limited to family, but the town DH grew up in is TINY and all of his friends kiss me on the lips when we visit- it's just the way they all are. They all kiss each others' wives. Now it sounds like DH is friends with a bunch of weirdos :cheeky: , but I think it's just because they are all so tight- known each other since birth, etc- like brothers. I don't mind it now, but the first few times I was caught off guard.
I don't forsee us kissing our kid(s) on the lips into their teen years, though. Just a baby/little kid thing, I think.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol no worries DD. i felt SMRT when i realized it. glad i didn't ask 'gee how does blowing on the foot give the kid tooth decay'... DOH for reals.

I was not raised with a very affectionate family at all even though my Mom loves me, she just isn't really huggy kisssy. Greg is a lot more affectionate and was raised that way. I definitely feel like raising kids with more affection is the way to go... I feel awkward in touchy feely situations at times. I like being a bit more unemotional than the average girl, but I can see the benefits to being just a little bit more in touch with your sensitive side (HA) and would like J to have that. I am SUPER affectionate with him in general and so is G ... so I don't mind not smackin' him on the lips because we give him so many other bits of lovin'.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was not raised in an affectionate family. Greeting with hugs still makes me feel uncomfortable. I literally hold my breath when people hug. I wish it wasn't like that for me but it is. My parents, who are very affectionate with the grandkids, try to sneak in a hug with me every now and then and it's really weird!

Last night DH was playing with our 8 week old and went to kiss him and almost got him in the mouth. He said "Whoops! Sorry, buddy. I meant to kiss your cheek!" I asked him why he wouldn't kiss him on the mouth and he responded that he only kisses me on the mouth. I can't wait till DS is a toddler and lays a big fat slobbery one on DH when he goes for the cheek! :bigsmile:

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I kissed all of my children on the lips, less as they have aged. My daughter is 16 now and in my head those days kinda should be over but she kissed ME on the lips the other day and I had to admit that it felt good that she still loves her "mommy". Just kissed both boys on the lips goodnight the other night though I think that is becoming less common as well.

I really think it doesn't matter as long as all parties are comfortable. It's not like a kiss insinuates something incestuous is going on and I don't buy the germ thing because we could say the same about kissing our lovers. Although I will say that when they were little I always wiped their mouthes first because kids can be too juicy lol

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I wasn't raised by affectionate parents, so there isn't a lot of kissing going on in the first, but when I do, it's on the cheek. Nate's family is very different, I remember when I first met him, I couldn't get over how affectionate he was. And, he also kisses the twins in the cheek.

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
Sure do. I still kiss my parents and grandmother (mom's mom) on the lips. My oldest doesn't really like it so I just kiss her on the cheek, but my soon-to-be 4 year old doesn't mind. She's super affectionate. I always give my 9 month old smooches on the lips. I just did. :tongue:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results