shape
carat
color
clarity

To upgrade or not to upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Diamond Lil

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,
I''ve just purchased a diamond with the following specs:
2.37 carat, 8.59 x 8.53 x 5.24 mm
Depth is 61.2%, Table is 59%, Crown height is 15%, Pavilion depth is 43%
Symmetry is very good, Girdle is thin to medium, Polish is good. There is no photoluminescence, and no culet.
Clarity is rated SI-1, Color is I (EGL Cert)

Here''s my problem: The diamond is currently set in white gold, and while it has beautiful sparkle and is very eye clean, in certain lights it shows a light tint of yellow. In other lights it looks very white.
I''m pretty sure that an upgrade to an H color is going to cost another $5,000 - $7,000...(ouch!) and I''m wanting opinions as to whether or not I should upgrade, or try switching to an 18 carat gold setting.

Does the yellow gold setting really make the diamond look whiter when the stone is this large, or am I kidding myself, and if I am unhappy with the slight yellow tint in white gold, I''m going to be just as unhappy with it when it''s set in yellow gold too? Is there a big difference in appearance between an H and an I color in this size range?

This is a very special, once in a lifetime purchase for me (it''s my 25 year anniversary present), and I want to make sure that I do the right thing. I don''t want to spend additional money needlessly, but I don''t want to waste time and money trying to make a stone look like something it''s never going to look like.
Does anyone have any advice? I''d appreciate any thoughts you might want to share.
Thanks,
Clara

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Upgrading to H color should not cause a price increase in $5000-$7000! Granted you have a pretty big rock, so the difference between H & I would be bigger than if the stone was .50 ct, but that much money seems way over the top! If that is what they're telling you at the store your buying from, I'd run away from them.

I think most people around here say when you get up to I, J, etc. yellow gold may help a diamond with a slight tint. That would certainly be an option.

Bottom line is at 2+ carats your spending some serious cash and should be 100% happy with your diamond purchase!!!

Have you looked around on pricescope at the vendors and their pricing? The Internet isn't for everyone buying diamonds, but many here can tell you wonderful experiences getting ideal/superideal diamonds from the select vendors on this message board. I am one of them!

reena

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/31/2004 9:51:59 AM wonka27 wrote:

Upgrading to H color should not cause a price increase in $5000-$7000! Granted you have a pretty big rock, so the difference between H & I would be bigger than if the stone was .50 ct, but that much money seems way over the top! If that is what they're telling you at the store your buying from, I'd run away from them.
yes, based on my own experience with stones of approx. 2 carats (i was considering G vs H) that seems like a big jump to me as well. is the stone a round brilliant? where are you shopping?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I agree that after waiting for your dream upgrade, you want to get something that you're thrilled with and have no second thoughts about. I also think $5,000+ for one color grade is a bit high, although color seems to be more "costly" than clarity.

Keep in mind that certain lighting can cast a yellow hue on an F colored diamond--what lighting is making your stone look tinted?

I think it comes down to how you feel about your diamond--do you love it otherwise? Does it "speak" to you? Do you have a sentimental attachment to it already? If you love it in all other ways and more money will be a crunch, try the yellow gold setting or make peace with the lighting variances. if it REALLY bothers you and you have more money to spend, look for another stone.
1.gif

Diamond Lil

Rough_Rock
Hi again,
I should have explained better about the cost...the brick and mortar store that I bought the stone from (about a week ago) caters to both the wholesale and retail trade (I'm in San Francisco). The gentleman that owns the store also ownes his diamonds - and the one that he sold me a week ago had an EGL cert that was two years old. He currently does not have a diamond that fits my size/color/clarity requirements and would have to search for it. I believe that the price I paid for the original diamond was very good (according to two other jewelers that I know) because he bought it some time ago, and so if he has to search for another diamond at today's prices, I'm thinking that it's going to come in substantially higher. I have not obtained a quote from them yet - but that's my guess.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Id return it if I could and check out the other vendors on here. I bet you could find a really great deal.

reena

Ideal_Rock
i second what ame said.

would you consider telling us what you paid for the stone?

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
You said the color is I - EGL cert... did a trusted appraiser confirm it as an I?
It might be a J, esp if it was graded in EGL Isreal/Antwerp.... just a thought
1.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
That's exactly what I was thinking, alexah. I'd take it and look at it side-by-side with other ideal cut and AGS or GIA graded I color stones, and also next to G or H. You'll have to determine what your own tolerance is for color...

Also worth noting is that the better the cut, the whiter the stone will look (face up).

For what it's worth, you don't sound thrilled with this stone -for a 25th anniversary, one-time kind of deal, I really think you should be in love with it. If not, you might be secondguessing yourself forever, and that would be worse than spending a little more time and money to find exactly what you want. Good luck!
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I color stones in large sizes is where it starts to get tricky. Mine is an I & set in platinum next to f/g baguettes. No yellow hue at all. BUT - it does have med/strong blue fluor. I did view other I stones with hints of color.

An I may be o.k. Just not this one if it isn't your hearts desire. Also, you may be color sensitive. In that case, an H may not do it.

Edited to add: as Jennifer stated, a diamond will take on the surrounding colors in a room. Certain lighting will make any color diamond give off yellow tone. Something to consider. What color appears in natural lighting?

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Definitely good advice from all. I just wanted add a thought: Is your other jewelry all white metal? If so, you may not want to jump into changing to a yellow gold setting if that is the only yellow gold you will be wearing. If you tend to wear a mix, then it is a good option. Personally, I love the contrast between yellow gold and the white of the diamond. I think it will help to make a slightly tinted diamond look more white. I would recommend white-metal prongs though.

DiamondLil (the other one)
2.gif

Diamond Lil

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
Thanks so much for giving me the benefit of your insight - your'e pretty much confirming what I was thinking in terms of color...

As to lighting/color perception, it seems to have the whitest tones when viewed straight up, basically in any kind of light. I notice the yellow in natural, shaded light the most, but do catch it as well under incandescent light when viewing the stone at an angle. It's when I'm looking at it at an angle that I see the yellow the most. I know that it picks up colors in a room - it will even pick up colors of the blouse I am wearing. The other day I wore a lime green blouse and my diamond looked yellow-green.

I think someone wanted to know the price paid...it was $14,500

Another poster said that if i'm color sensitive that I may not even be happy with an "H" color, and I had thought of that, and it scares me. The last thing I want to do is spend another X amount of dollars to upgrade and then STILL see yellow in the stone. Having said that, you've got to stop somewhere, you know? Honestly, all I want is a nice pretty white stone that sparkles and looks great....is there one out there for less than a zillion dollars?? Ahhhhhh!!! :)

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I was confused for a minute ... why is diamond lil responding to her own post...lol...

Yes- I was going to ask...what color do you like to wear- yellow or white?
ANd as stated above, how do you want to set it? In a bezel?...and like Alexah said- I would have it appraised to check the "I" color...Actually, clarity is more expensive than color- b/c this is a special purchase...make sure you are 100% happy!!

reena

Ideal_Rock
my anaconda don't want none unless you've got buns, hon.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/31/2004 12:20:45 PM reena wrote:

my anaconda don't want none unless you've got buns, hon.----------------

I've got to ask. What did that cute little dog say?

alexah

Brilliant_Rock

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
F&I - it's the "baby got back" song from MMM's tagline
9.gif
ya know, sir mix-a-lot?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL...Reena....I didn't want to add that last line to my signature....the anaconda part made me sound like a pervy guy lol
1.gif

JimDiamond

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 8/31/2004 10:10:51 AM Diamond Lil wrote:

Hi again,
I believe that the price I paid for the original diamond was very good (according to two other jewelers that I know) because he bought it some time ago, and so if he has to search for another diamond at today's prices, I'm thinking that it's going to come in substantially higher. I have not obtained a quote from them yet - but that's my guess.----------------

I'm not an expert by any means, but that does not seem quite right to me. Diamonds are a commodity not a manufactured good. If the diamond you bought "appreciated" during the time that the jeweler held it in inventory. Then he would simply sell it for more than he would have sold it originally. Plus just because the cert is two years old doesn't mean he bought it two years ago. He may very well want to "penalize" you for not buying a diamond he already owns by making it more expensive, thus encouraging you to buy his inventory. By all means get a quote, but DON'T simply accept it. Check out prices from reputable pricescope vendors. Check the difference in price between your quote and what you find online. I wouldn't be surprised if you find it for quite a bit less. The savings in sales tax alone would be over $1,000 in your case.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/31/2004 12:40:09 PM alexah wrote:

F&I - it's the 'baby got back' song from MMM's tagline
9.gif
ya know, sir mix-a-lot?----------------

Am I dating myself? What song is that from & who buy?

I like the H w/ med blue fluor.
9.gif

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Hope i don't get in *trouble* for posting these lyrics - if anyone's offended, PM me & i'll delete...
1.gif

Sir Mix-A-Lot
Baby Got Back

I like big butts and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny
That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waste
And a round thing in your face
You get sprung
Wanna pull up front
Cuz you notice that butt was stuffed
Deep in the jeans she's wearing
I'm hooked and I can't stop staring
Oh, baby I wanna get with ya
And take your picture
My homeboys tried to warn me
But with that butt you got
Me so horny
Ooh, rub all of that smooth skin
You say you wanna get in my Benz
Well use me, use me cuz you ain't that average groupy

I've seen them dancin'
The hell with romancin'
She sweat, wet, got it goin' like a turbo 'Vette

I'm tired of magazines
saying flat butt's the only thing
Take the average black man and ask him that
She gotta pack much back, so

Fellas (yeah), fellas (yeah)
Has your girlfriend got the butt (hell yeah)
Well shake it, shake it, shake it, shake it, shake that healthy butt
Baby got back

(LA face with Oakland booty)

I like'em round and big
And when I'm throwin' a gig
I just can't help myself
I'm actin like an animal
Now here's my scandal

I wanna get you home
And ugh, double ugh, ugh
I ain't talkin' bout Playboy
Cuz silicone parts were made for toys
I wannem real thick and juicy
So find that juicy double
Mixalot's in trouble
Beggin' for a piece of that bubble
So I'm lookin' at rock videos
Watchin' these bimbos walkin' like hoes
You can have them bimbos
I'll keep my women like Flo Jo
A word to the thick soul sistas
I wanna get with ya
I won't cus or hit ya
But I gotta be straight when I say I wanna f*ck
Til the break of dawn
Baby, I got it goin on
A lot of pimps won't like this song
Cuz them punks like to hit it and quit it
But I'd rather stay and play
Cuz I'm long and I'm strong
And I'm down to get the friction on

So ladies (yeah), ladies (yeah)
If you wanna role in my Mercedes (yeah)
Then turn around
Stick it out
Even white boys got to shout
Baby got back

(LA face with the Oakland booty)

Yeah baby
When it comes to females
Cosmo and got nothin to do with my selection
36-24-36
Only if she's 5'3"

So your girlfriend rolls a Honda
Playin' workout tapes by Fonda
But Fonda ain't got a motor in the back of her Honda
My anaconda don't want none unless you've got buns hon
You can do side bends or sit-ups, but please don't lose that butt
Some brothers wanna play that hard role
and tell you that the butt need to go
So they toss it and leave it
And I pull up quick to retrieve it
So Cosmo says you're fat
Well I ain't down with that
Cuz your waste is small and your curves are kickin'
And I'm thinkin' bout stickin'
To the beanpole dames in the magazines
You ain't it Miss Thang
Give me a sista I can't resist her
Red beans and rice didn't miss her
Some knucklehead tried to dis
Cuz his girls were on my list
He had game but he chose to hit 'em
And pulled up quick to get with 'em
So ladies if the butt is round
And you wanna triple X throw down
Dial 1-900-mixalot and kick them nasty thoughts
Baby got back

reena

Ideal_Rock
it's an early 90s rap classic and is SO on my workout mix.

i was going to paste in the lyrics for the whole song but thought better of it. however, you may recognize it best from this line:

I like big butts and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny
That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist
And a round thing in your face . . .

edited to add: ALEXAH YOU ROCK!

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
i have that song on my i-Pod
9.gif
it never ceases to crack me up every time i listen to it - i still remember when MTV didn't want to show the video, as it was "too risque" - my, how times have changed....
2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Oh my! I must have missed that one.
9.gif
Though I'm sure I would recognize the song.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL- you guys are too funny! Nan (Sevens one) and I were talking about working out and dieting, and we were laughing at the song so I made it my tag line lol...I know- isn't it sooo funny...a sculpture shaped like a butt was too risque? PLEASE. That looks like Mr. Rogers compared to today
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
sorry for the hijak diamond lil...last one...

THIS, is by far, the best part of the song:

I wanna get you home
And ugh, double ugh, ugh

reena

Ideal_Rock
my personal fave is

Give me a sista I can't resist her
Red beans and rice didn't miss her

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
MMM, you're crackin me up! ...i thought i was seein things the other day when your animal rescue tagline changed
eek.gif

Sorry diamond lil - i hope we didn't lose you!
5.gif
Lil, if you're still here, maybe check into H w the fluor
2.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered having the I colored diamond appraised by an independent appraiser? EGL has a reputation of grading color higher than other labs. You may have a stone that is a J by GIA or AGA standards. That way you will know what you should look for color-wise in a new stone.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
MMM, I'm ROTF!!! Now I can't get the darn song out of my head. I'll be singing it until I go to sleep tonight!
9.gif

Diamond Lil, is the cert EGL USA? What about the return policy of the jeweler? I think an independent appraisal is definitely in order here. Also, check out some of the on-line vendors. I think you can find EXACTLY what you want with one of them at an excellent price. Just my 2 cents though.

DiamondLil

(The other one again -- heehee
loopy.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results