shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you entertain yourself on trips? Podcast suggestions?

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Re: How do you entertain yourself on trips? Podcast suggesti

Audiobooks?

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

kenny said:
One of the most intense experiences of my life happened while was driving alone across the USA last year.
It was night and I was on small roads driving through a desert far away from any of the cities of New Mexico.
The only thing I could find on the AM radio was Native American music.

I cannot articulate it but let me say it was a positively spiritual experience, like being transported in time.
The music was at the same time so foreign yet so universal.

I love the saying "Be Here Now".

Entertainment replaces the here and the now with something .......... "better".
It is vulgar but sometimes I see entertainment as life-masturbation.
While watching a show of a beautiful young couple walking on a tropical beach and you kind ARE them for a time.

I am not anti-entertainment; I love films and music.
My issue is with how it has gotten out of hand.
Sometimes I feel sad when I see video/TV screens everywhere - in restaurants, cars on the road, above the line at the bank...
Yesterday I filled my gas tank at the Chevron station and every pump had a video screen and someone talking to me. :angryfire:
Not surprising I guess when so many of us had TV and media used as baby sitters.

It's almost like we have all been brainwashed to never be alone with our thoughts.
Apologies to the OP; this is in no way intended to be a criticism of you, just general observation and speculation on my part.

No worries, Kenny! I was not offended. I just wanted to explain why I felt like I *needed* to be entertained. 48 hours in 4 days in the car makes one a little nutty and I'm just trying to prepare myself as best as I can for survival of days 2 and 3. Day 1 is exciting because I'm leaving for the West Coast. Day 4 is exciting because we will arrive that day. The middle makes me nervous for my sanity! I have a feeling that it won't be as bad as I think it will. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised by how quickly it all passes.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

Porridge said:
Audiobooks?

I thought about this but I'm too cheap! Perhaps I'll cave if I find something reasonably priced that I can get ahold of before I leave.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock

Clairitek said:
Porridge said:
Audiobooks?

I thought about this but I'm too cheap! Perhaps I'll cave if I find something reasonably priced that I can get ahold of before I leave.
I download audiobooks from my public library. If you're a member (or can become one), check and see if they have digital lending.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

sillyberry said:
Clairitek said:
Porridge said:
Audiobooks?

I download audiobooks from my public library. If you're a member (or can become one), check and see if they have digital lending.

Thanks for the tip, Sillyberry!

I spent the morning loading up my iPhone with podcasts.

9 episodes of Adam Carolla's show
10 Diggnation
8 More Hip than Hippie
2 Car Talk
10 Storycorp
14 Stuff You Missed in History Class
31 Stuff You Should Know
1 TAL
17 Radiolab

I'm excited! I also found an audiobook from Dave Barry that my aunt gave me but I never listened to. Score.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

Whoever suggested Capitol Steps earlier - I have to second. I saw one of their shows in DC years ago and it was hilarious! If they have podcasts I would definitely check it out.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock

Thanks for these suggestions!

April20

Ideal_Rock

Clairitek said:
kenny said:
No entertainment.
Traveling itself, new surroundings and people is very interesting to me.

I agree that new places and people are interesting but I won't be seeing a lot of the people. This is a 3000 mile road trip that I'll be doing almost entirely on Route 80 going through PA, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, and then Nothern CA. I have a feeling the scenery won't change as much during days 2 and 3 when I am going through Iowa, Nebraska, and Wyoming. I do wish we had more time to stop and look around and see people and do things! I wouldn't be worried about entertainment at all. But due to the time constraints of needing to be there as soon as possible we will be whizzing by everything interesting.

I've done route 80 thru Iowa, Wyoming, Utah.... TWICE (one to move west, once to move back east). There is NOTHING to see. NOTHING. Well, there is in Utah and I did see a naked woman walking thru the parking lot of the Little America Truck Stop in Wyoming (and then all the cops that came to stop her), but that's about it. Lots of flat land with no landscape, people or towns. So you do need podcasts. Or audio books.

Everyone's pretty much mentioned what I already listen to- TAL, Car Talk, Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me. I haven't listened to Things You Should Know, but a friend does and highly recommends it to me. I also like Selected Shorts- not sure if that one's been mentioned yet.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

April20 said:
Clairitek said:
kenny said:
No entertainment.
Traveling itself, new surroundings and people is very interesting to me.

I agree that new places and people are interesting but I won't be seeing a lot of the people. This is a 3000 mile road trip that I'll be doing almost entirely on Route 80 going through PA, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, and then Nothern CA. I have a feeling the scenery won't change as much during days 2 and 3 when I am going through Iowa, Nebraska, and Wyoming. I do wish we had more time to stop and look around and see people and do things! I wouldn't be worried about entertainment at all. But due to the time constraints of needing to be there as soon as possible we will be whizzing by everything interesting.

I've done route 80 thru Iowa, Wyoming, Utah.... TWICE (one to move west, once to move back east). There is NOTHING to see. NOTHING. Well, there is in Utah and I did see a naked woman walking thru the parking lot of the Little America Truck Stop in Wyoming (and then all the cops that came to stop her), but that's about it. Lots of flat land with no landscape, people or towns. So you do need podcasts. Or audio books.

Everyone's pretty much mentioned what I already listen to- TAL, Car Talk, Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me. I haven't listened to Things You Should Know, but a friend does and highly recommends it to me. I also like Selected Shorts- not sure if that one's been mentioned yet.

I'm glad to know that my assumptions aren't too far off. The naked woman running through the truck stop sounds... interesting.

B.E.G.- thanks for pointing out Capitol Steps from an earlier post. I somehow missed it the first time. I just started a bunch of those downloads.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results