shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL Certs - Are they sub-standard?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lawyeretal

Rough_Rock
I have a choice beween 2 very similar stones only 1 is GIA and the other is EGL. The EGL looks almost as good, and it is 3K less. Can anyone give any positive references for EGL graded diamonds...
Thanks!
Mark

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Is it an EGL USA (it'll say it on the cert) or Isreal or Antwerp?

EGL USA is the most well-respected of the bunch
1.gif

lawyeretal

Rough_Rock
It is a strait EGL - not USA, and I can't figure out if its Antwerp or Israel.

Thanks,
Mark

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Then if you decide to go w that stone, I highly recommend that you get it appraised by a good appraiser immediately - unless you don't mind that the color/clarity may be off?

I bought and EGL Isreal stone & it was appraised one color grade lower & one clarity grade lower, among other things being "off" (the stone was returned as it wasn't a good deal w the new color/clarity combo).

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I did too...my first e-ring was actually an 'I' when I paid for an 'H'!!! I think EGL us is a lot better now...In any event, as Alexah said, as long as you can get your $ back (NOT just a credit or exchange) you should be in good shape...

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Among all labs, EGL (especially EGL from overseas) can be the most inconsistent. See the recent lab grading report here on the forum (top of Rocky Talk), but note that report does not include EGL reports from overseas.

I have, however, have had 2 EGL stones in my time that were gorgeous and dead on. I also work with a local jeweler who won't accept stones he feels are "off" cert, EGL, GIA or AGS. I would not pass up an EGL stone I really liked but take Alexah's advice and get it appraised to confirm the grade is accurate--even if you love it with your eyes and heart, you want to make sure the price you pay is consistent with the grade.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results