shape
carat
color
clarity

What have you done/plan to do to green up your house?

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
part gypsy said:
FL Steph said:
Has anyone seen a product available at Home Depot that collects rain water to use for your lawn?

You mean a water barrel? :naughty: We have 2 of them. They work great!
Hehe...I found what I was looking for here http://www.homedepot.com/Featured-P...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053. Same idea, but it hooks up to your gutters and then can be connected to a sprayer to water the lawn. This is the cheapest model, but there are some more "decorative" options for $300 or so :o .

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
monarch64 said:
We are currently renting/house-hunting. This area is undergoing a huge green-push with lots of city dollars allocated to new biking/walking paths and several new neighborhoods of structures that are "green." We've looked at existing and proposed construction of two different "green" neighborhoods, and I have to say it will take a few years for these neighborhoods to really catch on, imo. The proposed construction we've been discussing with our realtor (who is actually also the builder) is really cool, but built with a very eco-friendly owner in mind. The new homes are called "smart bungalows" and they have mini carports designed for Smartcars, mopeds, or bicycles. Everything in them, including materials and appliances, is energy efficient and "green." Very cool, but we are just not there yet. We are firm believers in Reduce, Re-Use, Recycle; however, with an emphasis on reduction.

I grew up here in a 6,000 square foot house in which my parents still reside. They planned to have 6 children and ended up with only 2. We plan on having 1 child or 2 at the most, and therefore will likely never own a home with more than 3 bedrooms. I watched my mother go through cleaning help like underwear and then slave over their home trying to keep up with it by herself as a SAHM and after we kids left the nest, and that nonsense is for the birds! I don't/won't have the time or energy to keep up with anything over 2,000 square feet. Further, I don't want to spend the money it takes to heat and cool a McMansion in the midwest! Even with energy efficient appliances it is still a ridiculous expense.

Another thing I have against huge living spaces is that I think it contributes to a disconnect among family. When you all have a separate wing or floor, trust me, you learn to love your alone time and there is much less communication and integration as a family unit. The most positive thing about it, on the other hand, was that we were outdoors all the time but that was because the house sits on a 7 acre lot in the midst of another 60+ acres of wooded land and pastures. You don't find many McMansions nowadays with much green space whatsoever.

Buying a non-new construction house is kind of the ultimate form of recycling, I think. Another reason I'm having a tough time justifying buying one of the brand new or proposed construction "green" homes for sale here.
Mon, it will be interesting to see if those developments take off or not. I do believe in the next few years or so, most people will be looking for more efficient homes when buying a house, but I think it is just a certain market that wants to go to that extreme right now. And on the big houses, I totally agree. We moved to FL about 4 years ago and had serious sticker shock. We couldn't afford a huge 5 bedroom house like we had in GA. Our house is right at 2000 sq. feet, and I actually think that's the perfect amount of space for a family of 4. I'm too cheap to pay someone to clean our house, so anything more and it would take up way too much time to maintain.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We bought a 1950s home that has undergone renovations including new windows. They kept the older appliances, which are not energy efficient - I will replace those when they break. We bought an energy efficient w/d and fridge, b/c they did not come with the house. The wood floors are still original. There is no a/c, just one in wall unit for the master bedroom on the days it's too hot. We've used it once, on the day when the temperature rose to 100. Otherwise, there are lots of overhead fans that we use.

I suck at gardening. So, we don't water everything....some of it dies...but they were ugly plants to begin with. When our front porch is redone (needs to be replaced) I probably will re-landscape it with drought efficient plants. We don't have a big lawn, and the only thing I keep watered are the fruit trees in the back.

We recycle everything that we can. I also use canvas bags for grocery shopping, and little mesh bags to hold produce. I prefer the farmer's market b/c I don't buy tons of bagged produce (think supermarkets) that I can't finish. I buy what I need for the week. I would like to compost, but we haven't gotten a composter yet. I think our waste company is going to provide them to us this fall. I also use biodegradable poo bags for the dog.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
We just moved on the 1st, so I haven't had a lot of time to switch out things. I do have a timer for my bathroom so can limit the amount of time in the shower. Also, I make sure all the lights are off when not in a room. I basically spend half the day chasing after my kids' footsteps, turning off switches. Another is I do not leave the computer on all day anymore like I use to. Instead, I turn it on three times or whatever rather than let in sit on for quick doses of internet!

Oh, and I hang dry as much of laundry as possible. Having a hanging rack.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I switched every single light bulb to those energy saving ones that give off a harsh glare and I'm never going back! :errrr:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny said:
I switched every single light bulb to those energy saving ones that give off a harsh glare and I'm never going back! :errrr:

You should look into the LED options. There are some pretty decent LEDs out there to fit into existing fixtures for a pretty reasonable amount of money (considering the longer life & energy savings). We've got some at home that cost about $25 each and give off great clean light (and plenty of it).
I still haven't seen an LED that can be dimmed that I'm pleased with but they're coming.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah, I also hang my clothes on a rack. I'm afraid of the dryer shrinking my things.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny said:

There are better and worst compact flourescents. Go for the ones that say "warm" and avoid the daylight ones. One time we got the wrong kind and I've relegated them for porch lights, way too harsh!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, speaking of things to collect rain water..one of our downspouts was re-routed when we got new gutters last year so it empties directly into one of our plant beds. Also, after we moved in (2001), our parents got us a stock tank (like farmers use to water cattle) for the back of the house, a little smaller than theirs. The opposite end of the house as the one that goes into the plant bed, that downspout goes directly into the tank, and then we use a sump pump to drain it when it rains. Lots of times I'm out there in a rain jacket draining it in the rain b/c I don't want to waste the water if the tank overfills, and I like the plants to get a good soaking.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results