shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you be upset?

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
DH's cousin and his wife has twins a couple of months ago and used 3 names that I had been considering for our own baby. I had mentioned that they were all on my list back before they were born after the wife told me they were considering them.

Fast forward to now... we are still trying to decide on a middle name for our little girl and I STILL really like one of the middle names they used. Would you be upset if someone gave their child the same middle name as your own newborn? I don't think they'd think I was just copying them since I did mention liking it at the same time they expressed their interest. Also, it will be spelled differently. I personally wouldn't care if someone did that, but I know some people are funny about names so I wanted to get opinions.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope. A name is a name and I don't think people have trademarks on them. Even a close relative.

A close coworker named her baby the same name as J, and I am sure coworkers think it's weird we chose that name AFTER her--but I have liked that name since I was 14 and was considering it before she even knew I was pregnant OR I knew it was her top pick. But no one knows that--and I don't bother telling them, it's really none of their business. The irony is that we are starting to nanny share and the boys have the same name!! :lol:

People can give all sorts of justifications for having a similar or same name to another baby in the family or close friend like I thought about it first or whatever, but in reality that is going to be your baby's name, one they'll have forever. Lots of people come and go in life, so if you want to name your baby XYZ then don't be put off by another baby having the same name IMO!

ETA... esp a middle name in your own example. But I still feel that way for any name in general. It's a big deal having a kid and a bigger deal naming them...I don't think people should put additional pressure on themselves to not name them the same as anyone else in their circle.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
No I wouldn't be upset. You did mention to them you liked the name or names... Name your child as you please!!! I am sure it's a lovely name!!! ;))

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, and if they care, that would be their problem.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The same middle name as a cousin? Free to the taker in my opinion. If they are upset, they are lame.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal said:

This. A name is a name, and it's your choice, not theirs.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
If i am honest i think a teeny tiny part of me would be a little annoyed but i certainly wouldn't tell anyone about it!

Also, different spelling = different name imo. I say go for it.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Nope.

Then again, Sophia shares her first name with another cousin :tongue: I have loved the name for years and it turns out that her 5 year old first cousin in Chile is also named Sophia. We were conflicted on whether to use the name or not but in the end decided to go with the name we loved.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
No, I wouldn't be upset.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
In my family, we actually use middle names together sometimes in honor of a person. My middle combines my mother's middle name and my grandmother's sister's first name. I plan to combine my grandmother's first name with something.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Nope, especially since it's a middle name.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We don't have kids but if we did, I wouldn't care if someone wanted to use the same name as my child's. I also wouldn't hesitate using a name I loved even if someone else in my family (or a friend) already used it. If you like a name, go with it!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Nope, not upset at all. But I would let them know you still plan to use the name.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I wouldn't be upset at all. I'd actually be hard pushed to tell you what my cousins' children are called, come to that. Granted, we're not a close family, but I wouldn't see it as any more limiting than say a neighbour or an acquaintance using the same name. As TGal so rightly said - if they have a problem with it, that's their problem.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
My friend's name is Martha and her cousin's name is Marta. I don't see anything wrong with using a name used by family, esp. if its a middle name.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
My cousin and I share a last name and no one ever thought anything of it. Go with the name you love.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Nashville said:
My cousin and I share a last name and no one ever thought anything of it. Go with the name you love.

WOW, I'm in a no coffee haze today... :oops:

I meant to say we share a MIDDLE name :shock: :???: :lol: :roll:

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, in your situation, it seems like you both had the idea, but just happened to talk about it before their birth, so I can't see how anyone could be upset about it. Seems silly for anyone to be upset about having a GMTA moment and having it be a middle name to boot! Plus, if they were that tied to the name, they wouldn't have ever mentioned it until the babies arrived.

My husband has a specific naming convention in his family, so for boys, we're limited to only names that start with W, and there aren't that many of them. We have come up with what we feel is the only agreeable name left if we have a boy, but because of past experience in discussing potential names (SIL loved Wyatt, best friend chose Wade, another friend used Wylie for a girl), we've decided to just shut up about it and never mention it to anyone else ever again. It may be a total non-issue, anyway. :bigsmile:

Besides, the kids/babies that have these names now are perfect for their names. I couldn't imagine Wyatt or Wylie being named anything else. :D

snlee

Ideal_Rock

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal said:

I totally agree. It's fine. You should use the name if you like it.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
vespergirl said:
TravelingGal said:

I totally agree. It's fine. You should use the name if you like it.

I also agree. People get so possessive of things that are not their own. Unless she has a copy write on the name there is nothing she can do.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
It wouldn't bother me at all. In my family, cousins very often share the same names, so it's normal for us.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I might be surprised, but not upset. In fact, my brother and I have second cousins who have the same first names as we do. They are 3-5 years younger, so I once asked my mom if she minded. She said no, they are nice names, and her uncle Joe, the other kids' grandpa really liked my name in particular, so that may be why they went with it. I always like that great-uncle Joe liked my name!

Also, my neice's name happens to rhyme with DD1's name, and starts with the same sound as DD2's name. When she arrived, DD2 thought they had combined their names for a new one! A little funny, but no big deal. Besides, my brother and SIL love the name, why shouldn't they use it?

reader

Brilliant_Rock
I know of a family with three girls, two of the sisters sharing a middle name. The third sister is upset because her middle name is different and she feels left out!

Having the same middle might make for a nice family bond.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Nashville said:
Nashville said:

WOW, I'm in a no coffee haze today... :oops:

I meant to say we share a MIDDLE name :shock: :???: :lol: :roll:

LOL, I thought you were making a dry joke ! Like everyone I agree it is definitely not an issue. No one owns a name!! I can see having the same first name in the same family (cousins,etc.) being a bit confusing but STILL not a big issue.

So what's the name (in case I missed it)? I'm sure it's very pretty whatever it is :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results