shape
carat
color
clarity

Moving to Cambridge England in 11 days...any one live there?

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I figure it is a LONG shot, but I am going to Univ. of Cambridge for a PhD in less than 11 days...does any fellow PS member live near there???

I am so sad to be leaving my hubby & family behind, but I couldn't pass it up. I will have them visiting once a month, or vice-versa, but was hoping someone lived near by...???

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Moving to Cambridge England in 11 days...any one live th

no, don't live there but want to say "congratulations"!

MoZo

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

We don't live there, but it's DH's hometown. It's a wonderful place, I hope you have a fantastic time there.

Try Fitzbillie's bakery and restaurant - DH has them mail cakes to him in Scotland for a taste of home. Their Chelsea buns are really very good.

Jen

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

UCLAbelle,
Just wanted to wish you all the best!!! Congrats!!!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock

UCLABelle said:
I figure it is a LONG shot, but I am going to Univ. of Cambridge for a PhD in less than 11 days...does any fellow PS member live near there???

I am so sad to be leaving my hubby & family behind, but I couldn't pass it up. I will have them visiting once a month, or vice-versa, but was hoping someone lived near by...???
Hey, hon! First of all, huge congrats on doing your PhD at Cambridge! I did my MPhil there a couple of years ago, and it was an amazing experience. Tough, but really fantastic. I'm sure you will do great. :bigsmile:

I don't live in Cam anymore, but I did live there for the year I did my MPhil. If you have any questions about anything, I'll do my best to answer. Otherwise, I might just give you some basics that work no matter what subject you're researching and which college you're in and all that. Dojo's has great food, Chiquito's is not real Mexican but good when/if you get homesick (well, it was for me, anyway), and (most importantly) it's Cambridge tradition to do tea & scones at The Orchard in Grantchester. It's so gorgeous and ultra tasty too! :))

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock

Although I don't live there any longer, I'm not terribly far away (about an hour or so). If you were to need to meet up with someone in person, I'm here for you--although that being said, I met some really wonderful people through my course, so I'm pretty sure you wouldn't need me. But I figured I'd offer anyway, just in case knowing that helped. :))

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock

UCLA! Haven't seen you on here in ages! Best of luck with your PhD. I don't live there but I'm just across the water in Ireland if you head over here for a holiday!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock

Thanks everyone on the congrats :) I am just at the nervous stage...hoping it gets better...

Gwendolyn---I DEF. would like to meet sometime...even if I have to take a train/bus ect...I am sure I will meet a few people, but literally would love to talk with someone :) and thank you for the recs :) **Edited by moderator to comply with forum policies**
Bee-I do plan on going to Ireland...would love to see your Lucida in person (and we can have TIffany sisters!)...let's keep in touch.... **Edited**

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock

Hey hon, that sounds fine to me, but I am not sure how we can get our contact info to one another. When do you arrive in Cam? And which college are you a part of? I know how nervous you feel now, but once you arrive, you probably will surprise yourself at how busy you are (especially since the colleges usually have lots for students to do at the start) and how many people feel the same way you do. If you do find yourself in need of some company, perhaps my hubs and I can come up and hit up Dojo's or The Orchard with you or something. :lickout: But in all honesty, I think you will adjust quickly and be quite happy there. It always sucks to leave people we love behind, but you are so fortunate that you will still get to seem them regularly. That will also make things much much much better!

Oh, I am so excited for you, sweets! You are going to have an amazing time. :bigsmile:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

You will LOVE Cambridge! It's beautiful, old old old, great countryside, tons to do. I'm jealous!!

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results