shape
carat
color
clarity

MRI while pregnant?

huskylover

Rough_Rock
Just wondering if anyone has undergone an MRI while pregnant, or if anyone in the medical field has any comments. Due to a vein issue I have I am scheduled to undergo a MR Venogram later this week and while the vascular surgeon assures me it is safe, I'm looking for a little more reassurance. Basically they are looking to see if the flow of my iliac vein is open, due to prior surgeries where they had to open the vein up since it is compressed between an artery and spine. If there isn't sufficient flow, they would likely put me on blood thinners throughout the pregnancy to reduce the clotting risk as the baby grows and smooshes everything together even more.

Any experiences to share? or thoughts?

drk

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not in radiology, but I wouldn't hesitate to have an MRI while pregnant. As long as the contrast is ok for baby, the MRI is not a concern. Heck, they'll do MRIs to look at the fetus in more detail.
A CT on the other hand would be a no-go for me.

huskylover

Rough_Rock
Thanks drk! That makes me feel a lot better. I guess if they use them to get a better look at the baby then I shouldn't be worried about them taking a look at my veins!

cara

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I'm not a doc but I do related research with magnetic fields... There is no plausible harm I can come up with from the MRI itself. Biggest risk is probably that of flying metal projectiles from people accidentally bringing the wrong objects near the MRI machine against protocol. That risk is really really small in a standard hospital or medical MRI center, and exists for anyone getting an MRI- ie, your fetus and you being pregnant are not at any special risk.

If you are getting a contrast or dye agent to help in imaging, that is a separate issue you could ask about. I don't know about those substances.

huskylover

Rough_Rock
Thanks Cara!

I'll make doubly sure to check if the dyes they are using (if they are going to use them) are safe for the baby, seems like other than that there's no specific risk due to being pg.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
MRI is used fairly often in pregnancy when an ultrasound will not work. I have seen it used to get a better look at a fetus with a congenital abnormality, so that the doctors could assess the situation and come up with a plan before the baby was born. I would not be concerned. I would ask about the contrast, but my guess is that it will be ok.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I work in radiology, MRI's are fine while pregnant. One of the radiologists I work for wife had to have one 4 or 5 times while pregnant. It's safe!

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have any experience with MRIs and pregnancy, but I am currently in my 17th week of pregnancy with my second child and am on Lovenox due to a clotting disorder and prior DVT. If you have any questions about that I'd be happy to help! :wacko:

huskylover

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! I had my MR Venogram on Friday and all went well, during the procedure that is. I had to sign a consent form and they gave me an IV I ended up not needing because they didn't use contrast at all. It got a little uncomfortable not being able to move and having to lay on my back for an extended periord of time, but nothing unmanageable. I'll get my results tomorrow.

She did take me out of the scanner and then have the radiologist look at the images and then sent me back in for two more scans. I'm hoping that I just moved, or the baby got in the way or something and they needed better pictures rather than the radiologist saw something she thought was abnormal and wanted to see more of! :???:

DivaDiamond007 - Thanks so much for your offer - you are just 3 weeks ahead of me (I'll be 14 weeks tomorrow) and if I have to go on Lovenox, I'll definitely ask you more about it. My biggest concern right now about the whole situation is that I really would like to have as natural a birth as possible and most of all I'd like to avoid a c-section. But my doctor already mentioned something about the possibility of having to "shorten" my birthing time as to not put a lot of pressure on the already constricted vein. So we'll see how that goes.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Husky - My doctor will probably induce me this time around so that way we can be sure that I am coagulated enough to have an epidural, but no so coagulated that I clot. It is a delicate balancing act that is complicated by the fact that my son (he's 2) was born pre-term at 36+4.

As of right now the plan is to keep me on Lovenox until I am 34 weeks and then switch me to heparin 2x per day until I go into labor/induction date. After delivery I will be put back on the Lovenox for a minimum of 6 weeks, but it could be longer than that.

I don't know anybody else in real life going through this so it can be really hard sometimes. I hope that your preganancy goes smoothly!

huskylover

Rough_Rock
Well the verdict is in. I went to the vascular surgeon yesterday and he said he was pretty sure he'd want me on blood thinners, but we wanted to look at my films himself before he made the final call. He called me this morning and said that I had a long narrowing of my iliac vein and that my uterus is already compressing it. So Lovenox it is for me! He did reiterate in the office yesterday that if I am on Lovenox and go into labor spontaneously I won't be able to have an epidural.

I have an appointment with my OB on tuesday already set up, so unless my OB calls before then I'm going to just wait to get started on Tuesday. I know the risk signs to look for for a clot and the vascular surgeon said it is fine to wait until then.

I'm going to have to discuss induction and labor possibilities on tuesday with my OB I guess. I also want to ask him about sleeping on my back. I know you aren't supposed to after 20ish weeks in a normal pregnancy, but I'm guessing I should probably be avoiding it now :(( Sleeping on my stomach is my favorite way to sleep and I know that's going to be out soon, and then my back is my second choice. I hate, hate, hate sleeping on my side. I'm going to have to find a solution for that sooner rather than later.

Thanks for all of your advice Diva - guess we can be online Lovenox buddies for the next few months! :appl:

Now that I've passed the first tri and I had this MRI I guess it is time to start posting in the real Preggo thread - eep!

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
:appl: Lovenox buddy!

Have you been on Lovenox before? I was on it for a week when I had my DVT, but my mom gave me those shots. 2x per day - ugh! Right now I'm on 30mg 1x per day, which is a preventative dose. I inject in my "muffin top" and switch sides every day. I find that pinching hard keeps it from hurting as bad, but doesn't take the sting out of the actual meds going in. I don't bother with icing the area before or after.

I am still able to sleep on my stomach even though I'll be 18 weeks tomorrow. My doctor said it was fine as long as I was comfortable. As far as sleeping on my back, I don't do that too often, but my doctor told me with my first pregnancy that if I had a problem with it then I'd know pretty fast - i.e. feeling light headed, nauseous, feeling like passing out. You may want to ask if you can prop a hip up with a pillow so you're not totally on your back.

Are you also supposed to be wearing compression stockings? I did while I had my DVT, which was diagnosed in June 2009, and wore them all the way until the weather started getting warmer in April of this year. Then it was too hot to bear. Now that I'm pregnant the high risk doctor wants me to order a pregnancy pair :shock: Not just the knee highs either, actual pantyhose style :???: I haven't yet because it's just too hot to wear any more clothing than necessary.

huskylover

Rough_Rock
I had never been on Lovenox before, but I finally got my prescription and got it filled yesterday. So last night was my very first injection. It wasn't too bad, but the medication kinda stings on the way in. I tried to to it slowly to reduce the stinging.

I'm on 40mg 1x a day. I have two crazy huskies that are only a year and a half - so I have to put them outside when I do the injections - or I'll risk injecting them instead of me! My pharmacy didn't have enough syringes to give me the full 30 days that I ordered, so I have to go back today. Did the pharmacy give you a sharps container? Or were you able to buy one there? I realized after I got home last night I don't have one and have no idea where to get one. I looked and saw you can order them online, but I am going to be quickly building up a stack of used syringes and don't know if I can wait for shipping.

My doctor wants me to wear compression stockings as well. I've been wearing them for flights and long car trips for 9 years now, so I at least have some of the knee high ones and don't have to spend a ton on them. But yes, he mentioned me getting the full length maternity ones too! :errrr: and then he tried to make me feel better by saying "at least you won't have to wear them in the summer". Which would be reassuring, except that I live in Southern California where our "winter" is most people's spring/summer. I know that 70 is better than 90, but it isn't like it will be 30 degrees and I'll be happy to have the extra warmth. Although with my blood being thinned maybe I'll be colder?

I asked about sleeping on my back and he said as long as I have a wedge or small pillow rotating me a little bit it isn't a problem. Whew! :love: I just cannot sleep on my side for the life of me!

Do you ever get red spots where you inject? I didn't ice before or after either (seems like too much time) and I noticed this morning I had a red patch - not like a bruise, but a lighter pinkish red. There aren't any hives and it isn't itchy so I don't think it is an allergic reaction, but I'm not 100% sure it is normal. I'm going to see what happens to the injection site for today's dose and maybe call the doctor if I think it gets too bad.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
:lol: I kick my pug out when I do my injections too! She's just so nosy and I don't want her to bump into me mid shot.

The pharmacy did not give me a sharps container, and they didn't seem to know where I could get one so I had DH clean out a 1 gallon milk jug and I put my used syringes in there. I store that way up high in our bathroom so our 2 year old can't get to it. I don't know how to dispose of that jug though once it's full. I am going to have to call the city and ask them. Surely I'm not the only in the city that uses injectible medicine!

I live in Ohio and since our weather is starting to cool down (was in the 80's, now it's in the 70's) I've been wearing my knee high stockings. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Luckily I don't have any swelling yet and my legs, vein-wise, are still looking pretty good.

I do get red spots at my injection sites, and sometimes I bruise really bad. I switch sides every day but the right side seems to hurt more than the left for some reason. You can also get hard spots under your skin at your injection sites so be aware of that too. You'll know if you hit one with the syringe because it will be hard to get the needle in and it will hurt really bad. There's a term for it, but preggo brain is getting the best of me right now :twirl:

I usually check PS once or twice a day depending on what's going on so keep me posted!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results